1. #1041
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    What has feminism done about bringing equality?
    Universal suffrage.

  2. #1042
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    I really couldn't care too much about someone looking if I voluntarily exposed my breasts. I've been tanning topless on the beach a few times, if they want to look it's fine by me.
    Sadly there are at least ~4000000000 other women.
    My Little Borg: Friendship is Irrelevant

  3. #1043
    The Lightbringer Uennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ner'zhul
    Posts
    3,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    What has feminism done about bringing equality?
    It must really frustrate you that I don't identify with your definition of feminism, and for that I am sorry. I say this because it seems you really want to make people (me) out to be man-haters, and I love all genders, so you're taking your precious fixed stereotype and running with it.

  4. #1044
    I am Murloc! Tiili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Sadly there are at least ~4000000000 other women.
    Yes, I'm aware of that but they need not expose their breasts if they're uncomfortable with it.
    Close your eyes and smile.
    [15:53] <PizzaSHARK> you have such a cute accent! ^_^

  5. #1045
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Universal suffrage.
    In most countries, full universal suffrage – with the inclusion of women – followed universal male suffrage by about ten to twenty years. Notable exceptions were France, where women could not vote until 1945, Italy (1946), Belgium (1948) and Switzerland (1971).
    So in most countries men had the right to vote whole 10 to 20 years longer than women? What huge disparity that we have to pay for to this day... So what? Switzerland is one of the most misogynistic and least democratic countries in the world?

    Is there anything significant?

  6. #1046
    Scarab Lord Unholyground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,568
    My question is why aren't they in the kitchen making pies and pot roast?
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”

    -Christopher Hitchens, 13 April 1949 – 15 December 2011

  7. #1047
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    So in most countries men had the right to vote whole 10 to 20 years longer than women? What huge disparity that we have to pay for to this day... So what? Switzerland is one of the most misogynistic and least democratic countries in the world?
    Quickly, shift those goalposts!

  8. #1048
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    I'd appreciate it if you didn't lump me in with the various others you disagree with. For me feminism has gone beyond just the female gender. It's a global effort to equalize all genders, at least for my friends and I. I as an individual am not these people you hate, and neither are those I socialize with. There are many different kinds of feminism, like people, we're not all the same.
    Why, then, is it still "feminism"? If you recognize that it has gone beyond the female gender and into gender equality around the world, why does the name still imply female rights (and female rights alone)?

  9. #1049
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Women, minorities and disabled people still have a lot of problems and disadvantages.
    This really just isn't true.

    In fact, quite the opposite is true, imo. Too many special circumstances and situations have been created for special interest groups by government, that it's borderline reverse discrimination.

    Private citizens and businesses are free to be bigots, racists, and sexists all they want, within the law, because they have a right to be. We, however, do not have the right not to be offended.

  10. #1050
    Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    Why, then, is it still "feminism"? If you recognize that it has gone beyond the female gender and into gender equality around the world, why does the name still imply female rights (and female rights alone)?
    Why do people constantly whine about a name instead of the actual policies being proposed under that name?

  11. #1051
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Universal suffrage.
    First of all, Universal Suffrage has nothing to do with women at all, was implemented before feminism
    Second, even Women's Suffrage has nothing to do with feminism, political groups who supported it called themselves Suffragettes, and their only concern was - voting for women.
    Third, Women's Suffrage was granted BEFORE Universal Suffrage, in most countries that have it.

    To make it clear:

    There was a time when only rich men could vote.
    Then rich women (wives of rich men) were allowed to vote
    Then ALL men were allowed to vote.
    Then EVERYONE was allowed to vote.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2013-02-19 at 03:05 PM.
    My Little Borg: Friendship is Irrelevant

  12. #1052
    The Lightbringer Uennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ner'zhul
    Posts
    3,819
    Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    Why, then, is it still "feminism"? If you recognize that it has gone beyond the female gender and into gender equality around the world, why does the name still imply female rights (and female rights alone)?
    It's a fair question, and a good point. Honestly, for me because it's a label that is well-known and understood. I actually don't run into a lot of these pseudo-feminists with their violent or unreasonable tendencies, and a lot of the people I meet don't read into it beyond just wanting pure unadulterated gender equality. It hasn't been an issue that has come up in real life. I guess the people I meet aren't as harsh judges of character.

  13. #1053
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Why do people constantly whine about a name instead of the actual policies being proposed under that name?
    What policies are being proposed? Women getting free contraception? Women getting more child support? Women getting more quotas to push more men out of the workforce?

    Give some positive examples that have lead to equality?

  14. #1054
    Scarab Lord Unholyground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    This really just isn't true.

    In fact, quite the opposite is true, imo. Too many special circumstances and situations have been created for special interest groups by government, that it's borderline reverse discrimination.

    Private citizens and businesses are free to be bigots, racists, and sexists all they want, within the law, because they have a right to be. We, however, do not have the right not to be offended.
    Also Women are the majority now.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”

    -Christopher Hitchens, 13 April 1949 – 15 December 2011

  15. #1055
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    First of all, Universal Suffrage has nothing to do with women at all
    That's a pretty wild claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    was implemented before feminism
    Feminism, as a term, dates to the mid 1800s and was in widespread usage by the start of the 20th century. Put simply, you're wrong.

  16. #1056
    Quote Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
    Why are women not allowed to wear what they want?
    Sometimes women feel good wearing those things.
    But no, we're not allowed, unless of course we want to get raped.
    (oh look. female oppression.)
    Sometimes men feel good just looking at women who dressed nice.
    Sometimes this men want to meet them.
    But no, we are not allowed to look and approach this women, unless of course you want to be sued for sexual harassment and called a Misogynist.
    (Oh look. Male oppression)
    Bad - This is a bad player, he refuses to learn how to play correctly.
    Casual - This is a player that will let everything else take priority over wow.
    Hardcore - This is a player that is fine with putting things on hold while he's on wow.
    Bad/Good - Measure of Skill.
    Casual/Hardcore - Measure of Time

  17. #1057
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Give some positive examples that have lead to equality?
    Your wild and pathetically obvious goal post moving attempt aside, paternity leave for men.

    Judging by the level of the posts here opening this thread is clearly a mistake.

  18. #1058
    I am Murloc! darenyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cho'gall (US)
    Posts
    5,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Don't you think it's ironic that, while feminists are the first to pop up to decree that women make less than men because of workplace discrimination, or do worse in certain scientific fields because of gender bias, (the major unstated premise there being that there are no gender differences), they're also the first to pop up to say that boys preform worse than girls in school because of gender differences? No bias there, eh?

    It's almost as if they have a sexist agenda that doesn't care about the truth at all.
    its almost like people who hate women have an agenda against feminism, and will make wild claims to try and discredit them.

  19. #1059
    Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    But no, we are not allowed to look and approach this women, unless of course you want to be sued for sexual harassment and called a Misogynist.
    Where in the world do people come up with shit like this?

  20. #1060
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's a pretty wild claim.
    That's a fact. Universal suffrage (the original thing) was all about allowing all MEN to vote regardless of their wealth and property ownership.
    Women's Suffrage allowed women to vote but with WEATLH requirement. It was granted before Universal one.
    The thing you are thinking of - is Full Universal Suffrage, that allows everyone to vote regardless of anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Feminism, as a term, dates to the mid 1800s and was in widespread usage by the start of the 20th century. Put simply, you're wrong.
    Oh please, that is called retconned history.
    "Most western feminist historians assert that all movements that work to obtain women's rights should be considered feminist movements, even when they did not (or do not) apply the term to themselves"
    I call this bs.
    My Little Borg: Friendship is Irrelevant

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •