Page 1 of 264
... LastLast
    Deleted

Modern Feminism - What's the deal?

Okay so after watching this, I've still got no idea what they actually hoped to achieve.

Video was removed on YouTube.

What's the deal? Just seems like they're taking any reason to get their tits out and cry oppression these days.

So yeah, why is feminism even a thing anymore? Is it really just women so desperate to be a part of something that their mind is stuck in early 1900's? Or are there actually any legitimate reasons for it to be around?

DISCLAIMER - THIS THREAD HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE DERAILED INTO MEANINGLESS BASHING, SO PLEASE BE CONSTRUCTIVE AND RESPECT THE OPINIONS OF OTHERS AND AGREE TO DISAGREE INSTEAD OF FLAMING.
    Last edited by mmoc1204399cdd; 2013-03-16 at 05:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont know, but the one with her hair in a bun at like 0:40 is really cute

however, i think that every group has it's crazies

It's because people generally let a few whackos represent an entire group; and this isn't just limited to feminism.

those aren't feminists those are idiots starved for attention.

I'm betting true feminists are shaking their heads at this.
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly think it's reached a point where women are equal with men, (<--I'm preparing for the flame here, mates.)

It's true though, really.
    Howay the lads!

With the carefully neutral wording chosen by the OP, it's clear this thread is going places.

I can't watch videos at work so I'm ignoring that part and just answering the question you asked. I believe that there are still legitimate reasons for it to be around, but perhaps not as many as some feminists believe. There's no question that inequality still exists however, and as long as that's true, there's always a reason for people to work toward balancing things out.

Because women still get paid less than men, for doing the same job.
    Because women still get blamed for getting raped, rather than the rapist.
    Because women still get judged for their appearance and beauty, rather than their minds.
    Because women can only be one body type, according to the media.
    Because men think feminism doesn't need to be around anymore, that's why feminism still needs to be around. It's just women being 'oh it's so 1900's.'
    No, women are still oppressed, and if you think that they are not, you're the reason why women are fighting for equality.

(and the video 'feminists' are extremists.)

Quote Originally Posted by GeordieMagpie View Post
    I honestly think it's reached a point where women are equal with men, (<--I'm preparing for the flame here, mates.)

In my age group women make more than men, time to fight the oppression.

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 07:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
    Because women still get judged for their appearance and beauty, rather than their minds.
    Because men think feminism doesn't need to be around anymore, that's why feminism still needs to be around. It's just women being 'oh it's so 1900's.'
    No, women are still oppressed, and if you think that they are not, you're the reason why women are fighting for equality.

(and the video 'feminists' are extremists.)
    Most of these are true for men also so don't even make that a men vs women argument.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

So a bunch of naked women with "homophobe" painted on them are screaming at the Pope to support Feminism?

what the fuck?
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieMagpie View Post

Well that's my understanding as well, allbeit it potentially ignorant to all the facts.

Granted the majority of feminism that makes the news is crazies like this, but what justifies them taking such a hard stance on things that they would go to these lengths? What are the sane feminists fighting for?

Deleted
    I have no problem watching something rebellious of this nature.

Many women are not doing the same job, and are on lower pay brackets because of it. A lot of the statistics are based on the fact they work for the same company, not on the same project, role or position.

The fault lies with the rapist, but making yourself an easier target just means your stupid. That said, far to many men do blame the women.

Happens to both sexes.

Bullshit. Ask most men, and they would tell you they prefer a more curvy women. There is nothing attractive, or healthy about being overweight, or underweight.

Blames all of the men, because feminism has become more about revenge, then creating an equal environment. Feminism is stupid, and pointless. Women have the same capabilites as men, but of all the women I've personally met in business, they're too busy crying about how there are no women on the board, to actually become the women on the board ...

Women are not oppressed.

Most of these are true for men also so don't even make that a men vs women argument.
    Rarely though.

Rarely though.
    Not rarely. Stop being so closed minded. Men & Women are perfectly equal in the world (generally), because nature never intended for either of the sexes to be the same, otherwise, we'd all be the same.

Men have a role in the world, women have a role in the world. Feminism has caused more issues for women then it has cured. It has created generations of young women who rebel, and will end up getting no-where because of it...

Feminism isn't a monolothic entity. The fact that you are incapable of recognizing that demonstrates that you aren't equipped to discuss its relevance.

As far as this specific act of "protest" is concerned, it looks like these women are performing their displeasure with the Catholic Church from within one of its main symbols in Western Europe. My guess is that their bared breasts are intended to offend the sensibilities of an institution that continues to view the feminine as subaltern by brandishing one of the most recognizable symbols of femininity. Maybe the idea is something along the lines of: "You use our tits to mark us as inferior and justify treating us as separate from you, well here, get a good look at them." or something.

At the end of the day, this is certainly stupid and accomplishes little more than being a symbolic act of disobedience. But I find it nowhere near as offensive as the Catholic Church's institutionalized abuse of children.

Actually, I don't know why I bothered posting on this thread. Because most here, won't get it. They won't separate the extremists from the people actually trying to change. They won't get that feminism is not about making women better than men, it's about having women equal to men.
    But of course, extremists like in the video, have tainted people's mindsets.

Why feminism needs to happen: Why is it okay for a girl to have a male role model, but not for a boy to have a female role model? Why is it an insult for a man to be feminine? Why is a strong, determined male a good thing, but when a female is strong and determined, she's called a bitch.
    If you think men and women are ~perfectly equal~, you are so obviously ignorant, it's quite sad.

[QUOTE=Hyve;20194617]Many women are not doing the same job, and are on lower pay brackets because of it. A lot of the statistics are based on the fact they work for the same company, not on the same project, role or position./QUOTE]

Not sure where you got that from. Statistics show that on average women get paid less for doing the same job. Not just being at the same company, that's nonsense, for doing the same job.

Bullshit. Ask most men, and they would tell you they prefer a more curvy women. There is nothing attractive, or healthy about being overweight, or underweight.
    They said the media, not most men, and while I prefer a more curvy woman I can't say for sure that "most men" would agree with me.

Feminism is, in my mind, the response to the inequality that women face. If you think that women are equal (to men), and you walk the walk, then I think that makes you a feminist.

If you're anti-feminist, you're saying that there isn't a problem with the status quo, and, by extension, that it's okay to view and treat women as some how less than men.

Western society (North America and Western Europe) has come a long way, but we still have a ways to go. Much of the rest of the world hasn't come as far, and has a much longer way to go. Denying that there's a problem actively perpetuates the problem.

Actually, I don't know why I bothered posting on this thread. Because most here, won't get it. They won't separate the extremists from the people actually trying to change. They won't get that feminism is not about making women better than men, it's about having women equal to men.
    But of course, extremists like in the video, have tainted people's mindsets.

Why feminism needs to happen: Why is it okay for a girl to have a male role model, but not for a boy to have a female role model? Why is it an insult for a man to be feminine? Why is a strong, determined male a good thing, but when a female is strong and determined, she's called a bitch.
    Then why is it called feminism instead of equalism or something? It is fine for a boy to have a female role model. Ain't nothing wrong with being feminine but you may get confused for gay if you are just like a manly woman will probably be thought to be lesbian. Strong females aren't called bitches, bitches are called bitches because they are bitches.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Daskapital View Post
    Feminism isn't a monolothic entity. The fact that you are incapable of recognizing that demonstrates that you aren't equipped to discuss its relevance.

As far as this specific act of "protest" is concerned, it looks like these women are performing their displeasure with the Catholic Church from within one of its main symbols in Western Europe. My guess is that their bared breasts are intended to offend the sensibilities of an institution that continues to view the feminine as subaltern by brandishing one of the most recognizable symbols of femininity. Maybe the idea is something along the lines of: "You use our tits to mark us as inferior and justify treating us as separate from you, well here, get a good look at them." or something.

At the end of the day, this is certainly stupid and accomplishes little more than being a symbolic act of disobedience. But I find it nowhere near as offensive as the Catholic Church's institutionalized abuse of children.
    What a load of rubbish. They're not being smart, they're not being clever and there is little meaning behind it. I'm disgusted by almost all religions and what they've done to people over the years, but running around half naked, and refusing to leave just makes them, and their cause, pointless and a waste of time.

They're meaning (if they did have one) was undermined because of this act, as are many of the feminist views. If most of these women would just come to the table, accept the facts of the world, and worked towards a good balance, women would be in a much better position, and it would've worked. This whole rebellion thing though makes it very hard to the world leaders, to take it seriously...