Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Favorite/Most Enjoyable Quests?

What are some of your favorite/most enjoyable quests that you encountered during leveling or throughout your tenure as a WoW player? A friend and I wrote this article a while back, 12 Can't Miss World of Warcraft Quests, but with the conclusion of Cataclysm and the introduction of Mists of Pandaria, I'm interested to see if there are any more quests that the WoW population considers indelible.

Some criteria that might help you:

i. Did the quest hold your attention for the duration, or conversely, did you find yourself overwhelmed by tedium, completing it in a brain-addled stupor and silently condemning the moment you accepted it from the quest giver?

ii. Would you partake in the quest again on an alt or in the form of a daily? Then you've probably got a good one to share.

iii. Did you learn some interesting factoid about Azerothian lore that stuck with you in indelible fashion? Or find yourself completely engrossed in the storyline? Then you've probably got a good one to share.

That being said:

Some quests I left out were the ones pertaining to the trio of Frozen Halls instances within Icecrown Citadel were awesome too; particularly Arthas stalking after you in the guise of an infinitely more malevolent and terrifying version of the boulder from Raiders of the Lost Ark and all of the interactions with Sylvanas/Jaina beforehand. Say what you will about WOTLK dumbing down the overall experience of the game or "catering to casuals," but the inclusion of Arthas as a recurring foe throughout the game and the introduction to all the phasing zones really made the expansion a pretty damn immersive experience for me.

What do you think?

My favorite quest ever was a removed Vanilla quest called [Cortello's Riddle] that had you traverse Azeroth with nothing more than a series of clues. It was really fun when I first started because things like Wowhead and thottbot did not yet exist and you more or less had to figure it out on your own. Was quite fun exploring and running around. Especially on a PvP server

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    My favorite quest ever was a removed Vanilla quest called [Cortello's Riddle] that had you traverse Azeroth with nothing more than a series of clues. It was really fun when I first started because things like Wowhead and thottbot did not yet exist and you more or less had to figure it out on your own. Was quite fun exploring and running around. Especially on a PvP server
    I vaguely remember people talking about that quest but I think it was just before my time. (I joined at the very end of Vanilla.)

That's the thing with thottbot and Wowhead -- they're definitely a catch twenty-two. While they're excellent resources, there was something to be said about the sense of accomplishment when you completed a quest without referring to the guides. I felt the same way beating the Opera encounter in Karazhan for the first time without using any predetermined strategies.

I had thought thottbot was always there though, wasn't it? Even during Vanilla beta?

Rhok/Lok'delar quest easily. I've never been more proud of any item in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    I vaguely remember people talking about that quest but I think it was just before my time. (I joined at the very end of Vanilla.)

That's the thing with thottbot and Wowhead -- they're definitely a catch twenty-two. While they're excellent resources, there was something to be said about the sense of accomplishment when you completed a quest without referring to the guides. I felt the same way beating the Opera encounter in Karazhan for the first time without using any predetermined strategies.

I had thought thottbot was always there though, wasn't it? Even during Vanilla beta?
    It certainly was there. Just not fleshed out very well. And nothing like what Wowhead is nowadays.

Most of the Southern Barrens, Mankrik and Mahka especially.

The Gob Squad quests in Azshara.

The Darkshore nelf about Auberdine.

The "Fallen Hero of the Horde" chain (Original recipe)

The North Barrens Caravan stuff.

The Forsaken-put spider-eggs-in-bears quest in Hillsbrad.

Pretty much Every Goddamn Thing at Warsong Hold that place bled Awesome.

The Cipher of Damnation Questline. (Oronok Torn Heart for Warchief!)

The Sporegar stuff.

The Mok'nathal / Gronn stuff in Blade's Edge.

The Terokk Chain in Terrokkar

The Dimensius Chain in Netherstorm.

The original Hakkar and Shadra chains...
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    The old tier .5 upgrade quest chain was great. I liked the oronok torn heart quest and the teron gorefiend quests from smv too.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-02-12 at 09:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 60 Blood Knight quest chain for your Thalassian Charger was awesome. Finding people willing to farm Dark Runes with you was less so. <.<

Same thing for warlocks and their dreadsteed. Pity they removed it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post

The "Fallen Hero of the Horde" chain (Original recipe)

Was that the one that lead you to killing the dread lord with the enchanted azsharite blade? That one was great. And how could I forget the pally charger quests. Man, there were a lot of good quest chains.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-02-12 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Was that the one that lead you to killing the dread lord with the enchanted azsharite blade? That one was great. And how could I forget the pally charger quests. Man, there were a lot of good quest chains.
    The pally charger quest chain was horrible imho. However, the final battle was probably my most memorable moment. I did it with 5 paladins. Tearing through Scholo with no squishy toons, and seal weaving the waves of mobs on that last encounter.......simply awesomesauce

The original Hakkar and Shadra chains...
    Forgot about Shadra. God that was a rush to try and solo on a frost mage. Same goes for the Ogre chieftain in Brackenwall Village.

Anyone remember the quest The Star, The Hand and the Heart? Obscenely hard quest for such a horrible reward.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I love lore, my fav quest has to be punching deathwing in the face. The black dragon assassination quests for the rouge daggers would be my who ice for a serious quest. I hated most the old world quests having to go all over the dam place but the one where you have to try save Tirion Fordring son was cool.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-02-12 at 10:32 PM.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    The pally charger quest chain was horrible imho. However, the final battle was probably my most memorable moment. I did it with 5 paladins. Tearing through Scholo with no squishy toons, and seal weaving the waves of mobs on that last encounter.......simply awesomesauce
    Glad they changed the method of those as well as the druid and warlock quests; they were a pain in the ass at the time and clearly time sinks, although for the time they were alright since there wasn't much else to do.

I also enjoy the quests that have their own soundtrack to them, like this one from the Twilight Highlands: http://youtu.be/lK2ShxgOF2M, and the music from when you fight Bronjahm in Forge of Souls: http://youtu.be/l3jSY5fIeDA

Basically the entire death knights starter quests, and the ones involving Mathhias Lehrer in Icecrown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Battle for the Undercity was pretty epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Most of the Southern Barrens, Mankrik and Mahka especially.

The Darkshore nelf about Auberdine.

The Cipher of Damnation Questline. (Oronok Torn Heart for Warchief!)

The Sporegar stuff.

The Terokk Chain in Terrokkar
    I liked all these above.

My favorite one time quest would be the gnome killing quest in Cata (?). There was a snowball or smt like that rolling and killing gnomes. It was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rkd View Post
    Rhok/Lok'delar quest easily. I've never been more proud of any item in the game.
    OMG YES! That quest chain was amazingly fun. I loved that each different mini boss had a "weakness" that you had to exploit i.e. Wing Clip caused the Burning Steppes demon to be snared, Winterspring demon had to be kited etc. And it was hard! (A rarity these days). It almost felt like a crash course in learning how to use your hunter to it's fullest potential. Without a doubt my proudest and most fulfilling moment in WoW (and never have I felt so badass walking around with my epic hunter bow and staff ).

10+ Year Old Account

Then I remembered my chopper could fly...

The Light of Dawn AKA The battle for lights hope chapel and the battle for the undercity

Im a sucker for huge epic battles that has cool RP at the end of it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxNuZYU1D_U

Then I remembered my chopper could fly...
    Was going to find a video for this one myself, but you beat me to it <3