Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Makes it harder when what you want to RP isn't supported by the game.

    *I climb aboard my valiant steed and charge off towards the horizon as the sun hangs low in the sky*

    Oh wait, I can't because the horse trainer refuses to teach me how to ride one.
    You can RP without ever stepping foot in the game so it doesn't really make a difference. The only limiting factors in one's ability to RP is their imagination and to a lesser degree their restraint.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    You can RP without ever stepping foot in the game so it doesn't really make a difference. The only limiting factors in one's ability to RP is their imagination and to a lesser degree their restraint.
    IMO, it's more creative to use you imagination within the constraints.

    That horse trainer refuses to teach me because he's a disillusioned old man. For decades he has taught ambitious young warriors how to ride, only to get themselves and his beloved horses killed in brutal wars. So he won't train me until I can prove I am a capable warrior who won't so easily die.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    What about class abilities? You used to go to trainers to learn how to use those too. Same with mounts. If you throw out 1 mechanic you have to throw out all of them.
    No you don't, that's not proper understanding of the relationship between lore and mechanics.

    The simple fact of the matter is that people can learn basic self defense without having to talk to a professional about it. I did it with swords and knives, and I'm mostly self taught with a pistol (I borrowed a lot from my experience with rifles)... didn't have to pay someone. I might not be as good as someone with professional training, but I can at least hold a sword without needing to pay someone.

    It's certainly not something that should affect your age choice as a Draenei.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    No you don't, that's not proper understanding of the relationship between lore and mechanics.

    The simple fact of the matter is that people can learn basic self defense without having to talk to a professional about it. I did it with swords and knives, and I'm mostly self taught with a pistol (I borrowed a lot from my experience with rifles)... didn't have to pay someone. I might not be as good as someone with professional training, but I can at least hold a sword without needing to pay someone.

    It's certainly not something that should affect your age choice as a Draenei.
    I guess even in lore people figure these things out for themselves. But like I posted earlier, it's hard to RP something when the gameplay mechanics prohibit it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I guess even in lore people figure these things out for themselves. But like I posted earlier, it's hard to RP something when the gameplay mechanics prohibit it.
    I once did a roleplay where I destroyed several buildings in Stormwind that pertained to the war effort against the Horde.

    I did that in a thread on these very forums.

    NO GAME MECHANICS BIATCH

  6. #26
    Banned Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Madgod would be best to answer your question but I have seen several RPers state their characters were around during the War of the Ancients so a character that is only around 2000 years old seems perfectly fine. Now the other issue that some RPers may have is the fact that you made them a monk which was virtually unknown to races other than Pandaren until recently. It would be akin to making a 2000 year old Death Knight in the eyes of some RPers.
    Well I already figured that one. He was a shaman who tried to follow the path nubundo taught the other shaman as the draenei adapted into following that belief. however, his focus became to much into fighting and not enough into being in commune with the elements, yet still having some form or connection to spiritual understanding. So when pandaren made themselves aware to the factions, be started to learn from there what spiritual power was, and how to better marshal himself.

    Its kind of a crossover because he use to be a shaman, but I change him into a monk, I figured long as theres a decent story as to why it be acceptable he take a new path (not like lore characters haven't change there direction from what they were, like orc shaman to orc warlocks and back again).

  7. #27
    @ The op, you were right, Draenei can pretty much live thousands of years

    Though it's not known how long, the date is never specified. Draenei never actually left Argus 25,000 years ago, there is no source for it. The only source related to the 25,000 years is that the Eredar arose on Argus at that time.

  8. #28
    Just remember shaman for draenei surfaced only like 20-40 years ago... but I think your concept is okay. Like you said it's the implementation that really makes it hit or miss.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Kinda late in the game for a career change.

    I was under the impression that Draenei PCs created in WoW were a younger generation of Draenei than those who originally left Argus. I mean seriously, thousands of years old and they're teaching you how to hold a weapon?

    This goes for Elves too.
    Generally, I think plenty of roleplayers ignore the generalizations given in the starter quests when designing their characters. It allows for more creativity that way. Not that the generalizations make much sense in the first place: you can design your character with white hair and an aged face, and NPCs will still refer to you as young whippersnappers.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    @ The op, you were right, Draenei can pretty much live thousands of years

    Though it's not known how long, the date is never specified. Draenei never actually left Argus 25,000 years ago, there is no source for it. The only source related to the 25,000 years is that the Eredar arose on Argus at that time.
    They left Argus 26,000 years ago because the Legion had been chasing them for 25k. Plus the 1000 years they were on the Orc homeworld.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-02-13 at 12:55 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  11. #31
    Draenei can be upwards of who knows how old.

    http://www.wowpedia.org/Jessera_of_Mac%27Aree
    Ultraxion yells: I am the beginning of buttonclickers...the button which blots out my wipe mechanic...the click which tolls my doom...
    Ultraxion yells: For this moment ALONE was I made. Look upon your button, mortals, and click!

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    They left Argus 26,000 years ago because the Legion had been chasing them for 25k. Plus the 1000 years they were on the Orc homeworld.
    They did not. There is no source for 25,000+ years, the only thing that does was on the old BC site that said the eredar arose as a race, over the years it has been misconstrued though. Feel free to provide a direct source though that does prove what you say.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    They did not. There is no source for 25,000+ years, the only thing that does was on the old BC site that said the eredar arose as a race, over the years it has been misconstrued though. Feel free to provide a direct source though that does prove what you say.
    Are you familiar with Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Are you familiar with Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden?
    Yes I am. Are you? Feel free to go read through it, but you won't find anywhere saying 25,000+ years. It never specifies the date when Velen left.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    Yes I am. Are you? Feel free to go read through it, but you won't find anywhere saying 25,000+ years. It never specifies the date when Velen left.
    I'd recommend that you do the same, because that's the book which told the community that the legion had been looking for Velen and the draenei for 25,000 years.

    You're in the minority, and you're going against pretty common knowledge here. The burden of proof is on you, friend.

    EDIT: also, I should mention that the whole thing about the TBC site does count. The specifics of the event were retconned, but the date remained unchanged, and therefore it's still the canon date. Either way, the draenei left Argus 25,000 years prior to the first war.
    Last edited by The Mister Madgod; 2013-02-13 at 03:28 AM.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    I'd recommend that you do the same, because that's the book which told the community that the legion had been looking for Velen and the draenei for 25,000 years.

    You're in the minority, and you're going against pretty common knowledge here. The burden of proof is on you, friend.
    Funny, telling me to provide proof yet you do not do the same. No it`s not in Rise of the Horde. Do NOT cite things without actually checking them. Go ahead and provide a citation because no one has found such a thing. Go ahead and read this thread, a similar discussion comes up a few posts down

    http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...d.php?p=540677

    I dare you to find me a page citation or at least the chapter. Go ahead, I've got my book right here and I'm sure other people can check too.

    EDIT: also, I should mention that the whole thing about the TBC site does count. The specifics of the event were retconned, but the date remained unchanged, and therefore it's still the canon date. Either way, the draenei left Argus 25,000 years prior to the first war.
    The old BC site is canon, just no longer accessible(unless you use waybacktime machine site) and again, there is no source for Dreanei leaving 25,000 years before.
    Last edited by Therougetitan; 2013-02-13 at 05:45 PM.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    Funny, telling me to provide proof yet you do not do the same. No it`s not in Rise of the Horde. Do NOT cite things without actually checking them. Go ahead and provide a citation because no one has found such a thing. Go ahead and read this thread, a similar discussion comes up a few posts down
    The burden of proof is on the challenger. That's how it works. And even if I'm wrong, it doesn't really matter. Arguing about where canon knowledge for a story came from is a worthless endeavor. I could have sworn I read that bit of knowledge in that book, but if I'm mistaken, I'm mistaken. Regardless, that span of time is canon.


    Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    The old BC site is canon, just no longer accessible(unless you use waybacktime machine site) and again, there is no source for Dreanei leaving 25,000 years before.
    Wowpedia is an officially recognized site for all things warcraft. That's as good a source as you'll get.

    They have a timeline built from the old sites, including the TBC site and handbook.
    Last edited by The Mister Madgod; 2013-02-13 at 06:03 PM.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    The burden of proof is on the challenger. That's how it works.
    Tell me, please, how do I prove that the 25,000 years bit isn't in Rise of the Horde?

    It is a horribly misconstrued "fact" that Draenei left 25,000 years ago by the majority of the community. No one can ever find the citation for such a thing, because it is false. But over the years it has become the "truth" the people accept without a second thought.

    I cannot provide proof of something not existing, it just isn't in the book. I implore you again, please find a page or chapter citation of it.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    It is a horribly misconstrued "fact" that Draenei left 25,000 years ago by the majority of the community. No one can ever find the citation for such a thing, because it is false. But over the years it has become the "truth" the people accept without a second thought.
    So apparently wowpedia doesn't count as source, even when it took information from the official website during its time.

    I think you need to reorganize your train of thought. The official site declared that eredar as a race were formed roughly 25,000 years ago. This was retconned, like I said, but the date remains valid. Technically the man'ari eredar (the eredar as we knew them prior to the retcon) DID form as a race at that time.

    If you can give me a similar case where the events of a period of being changed necessitated that the date was no longer accurate as well, then I'll drop this... but considering we have records of that old timeline from the TBC site, I wouldn't say that there's no source, and I wouldn't say that it is false.
    Last edited by The Mister Madgod; 2013-02-13 at 06:12 PM.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    So apparently wowpedia doesn't count as source, even when it took information from the official website during its time.
    Looking through wowpedia, it never cites where it got the "25,000" years. The way wowpedia works is that it is an encyclopedia. Which means that it is not a direct source of lore, it just cites other sources of lore. Keep in mind that it is a wiki so anyone can edit it and people can be wrong. People can put in information without knowing where they got it from and thus don't cite it.

    Again, provide me with a citation, page, chapter or site that I can check that says the Draenei left 25,000 years ago and I will say I am wrong.

    edit:
    I think you need to reorganize your train of thought. The official site declared that eredar as a race were formed roughly 25,000 years ago. This was retconned, like I said, but the date remains valid. Technically the man'ari eredar (the eredar as we knew them prior to the retcon) DID form as a race at that time.

    If you can give me a similar case where the events of a period of being changed necessitated that the date was no longer accurate as well, then I'll drop this... but considering we have records of that old timeline from the TBC site, I wouldn't say that there's no source, and I wouldn't say that it is false.
    What was the site retconned by? What source retcons it? Here's my citation for Eredar arising

    http://web.archive.org/web/201012040...l/draenei.html

    Now I await yours. You can try Rise of the Horde for a page or chapter, but it would be a fruitless try. Or you could try a site. You can use the web archive site I used to access a site if it no longer exists. You keep telling me that my source is retconned but not giving me any source of what retconned it. Prove me wrong and I will submit gladly, I'd prefer to be wrong if I have the straight facts of lore. But I've yet to be proven wrong on this.
    Last edited by Therougetitan; 2013-02-13 at 06:25 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •