Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Something odd happened this morning

So I woke up in a sleep paralysis state (Awake with eyes closed, but unable to move or speak) and I hear a voice asking me: "Are you squealing yet?" It kept asking it over and over and it sounded as clear as day, the freaky part is no one was in my room or home at the time and the only other thing I could hear alongside the voice was the birds that usually chirp during the morning. Should I be worried for my sanity or is this common with sleep paralysis?

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like you were still half asleep, and hearing voices was an effect of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    are you sure you were alone? if you were ya your crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Seek advise.
    Doctor first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Certainly freaked me the hell out when I finally was able to break myself out of the paralysis.

Yea it's common to hear such thing, it's all the work of your brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demons or aliens be after you bro.

No Its probably just an effect of sleep paralysis.

Deleted
    yeah, as said before, this is a side effect which can occur when you wake up in sleep-paralysis, nothing freaky about it at all Nothing to worry about

Do you recall anything of the dream you were having before you woke? That might answer a few questions as to the voice you heard, but I'm not too sure I want many details if the voice was asking you if you're squealing yet. It's a pretty common experience with sleep paralysis though, you're not going insane, at least not in relation to that. c:
    I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be, than me.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    So I woke up in a sleep paralysis state (Awake with eyes closed, but unable to move or speak) and I hear a voice asking me: "Are you squealing yet?" It kept asking it over and over and it sounded as clear as day, the freaky part is no one was in my room or home at the time and the only other thing I could hear alongside the voice was the birds that usually chirp during the morning. Should I be worried for my sanity or is this common with sleep paralysis?
    sounds like nightmare you were having. the brain is a hell of a thing. the reason you couldn't move is probably because you were in a semi-sleep state, thus the voices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaphy View Post
    Do you recall anything of the dream you were having before you woke? That might answer a few questions as to the voice you heard, but I'm not too sure I want many details if the voice was asking you if you're squealing yet. It's a pretty common experience with sleep paralysis though, you're not going insane, at least not in relation to that. c:
    I don't recall the word "squeal" "squealing" or anything in relation to that being in my dream, it was a pretty standard dream, theater watching a performance and not once was I under any stress during that dream, just a little hang out with old friends. So that's kinda why I was freaked out because I hadn't experienced anything nightmarish during my sleep and to suddenly wake up like that just confuses me.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a common thing, with up to 10% of the population having something like this happen to them on occasion.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not gonna lie, sounds like a schizophrenic episode to me, but then that's also sort of just based on what I've learned so far. Also my prof has stressed way too much that no diagnosis can be made with so little information and blah blah.It could be a simple lack of sleep, but I would be hesitant to dismiss it as that... early recognition and treatment can prevent things from getting worse in some cases. (although even that is probably more of my Prof's propaganda).

Obviously being a student I have no business telling you what to do, but If I had an incident like that I'd probably ask a doctor or something about it at the very least (not a bunch of forum readers on a mmo site)

Stood in the Fire eldritchforeshadow's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    sleep paralysis can cause your brain to see and hear things that are not really there. It can be scary but it is not life-threatening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roangut View Post
    Obviously being a student I have no business telling you what to do, but If I had an incident like that I'd probably ask a doctor or something about it at the very least (not a bunch of forum readers on a mmo site)
    True but it's always nice to ask the general community about such things incase they've had some experience on this kind of issue themselves. Can't hurt to ask

Sounds like you were half awake while your body had released the sleep paralysis chemical, that can cause semi realistic nightmares.

It happened to me once, I was awake with my eyes open but couldnt move my body the only thing I could do was modify my breathing. I was camping with my gf outdoors (no tent) and had the sensation i was being dragged into the woods, coupled with like intense fear. But I could clearly see I was lying still although I could even hear the sounds of being dragged into the woods.

Long story short I started breathing as rapidly as I could and that alerted my gf to shake me awake. Never had anything similar happen since.

Still was pretty freaky. I'll try and find the medical explanation for exactly what happened, I dug it up before.

EDIT: Try reading these, not exactly scientific but might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_awakening
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream
    Last edited by Kanadei; 2013-02-14 at 03:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds similar to my half dreamstate where I'm in my bed and someone else is in the room. It's pretty freaky. My situation isn't like yours but..I don't know if you are having mental issues.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Extremely common.

Napkin science time!

When entering deep sleep the body releases chemicals that paralyze the body. This is how the body protects itself while asleep, so you don't end up acting out your dreams. Though the mechanic does fail from time to time, most movement in sleep (tossing and turning, etc...) doesn't happen in deep sleep.

When you experience sleep paralysis, your consciousness is waking up before the signals in your brain to paralyze your body wear off. There is a common state of being where the mind is still sleeping, but the body is aware of outside stimuli. Basically, these two things like to happen at the same time.

Your body's waking up before your mind's done dreaming, so your mind's still keeping your body paralyzed.

It's almost always freaky as hell, because dreams are so surreal, but I assure you, it's very normal.

EDIT: I experience sleep paralysis very frequently as a side effect of forcing my body to sleep using medication (I have a sleep disorder where my internal clock is basically permanently about 6 hours off. 6am feels like midnight to my mind and body. There's no way to fix it. I either have to cope with it or live my life around it - which is sort of hard to do in the professional world). I once had a sleep-paralysis dream wear I was vomiting for some reason, and the sound I made in the dream still haunts me. It's been years.
    Last edited by Veyne; 2013-02-14 at 03:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    If this happens often. Well go see the docter! if not well then dont worry bet you was half asleep but still felt full awake.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had several experiences with sleep paralysis before, and for me I only seem to be affected by the paralysis, but I've heard most people mention that it's also quite common for people to still be "dreaming" as it happens, leading to people hearing and/or seeing dreams (often nightmares, maybe caused by the panic of being paralyzed?) while awake yet paralyzed.