Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ...
16
24
25
26
27
28
... LastLast
  1. #501
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    some have more talent then others some are more intelligent then others some are stronger them others some are faster then others it is a fact of life
    some have to work harder to get the same and even less resorts I don't care how hard i try how hard i train how much effort i put towards it i doubt i would ever be able to play professional basket ball
    but i am guaranteed the same opportunity to try
    And some jobs pay you a lot more money and require no special skills whatsoever, that's also a fact of life.

    Being a vet requires the same amount of schooling and training as a doctor, as well as knowledge on a fairly equal level, yet vets get paid jack compared to doctors.

    An MBA, that takes 5-6 years to attain, has the potential to get you more pay than being a doctor, which takes 9+ years to attain a full medical doctorate, after residency and everything else. Yet MBA jobs are glorified paper pushers.

    I've known people without even a GED make more than those with a college degree, not because they know more or are any more skilled, but because they knew the right people.

    I think the famous quote "It's not what you know but who you know" applies here. Your skill and knowledge don't mean a whole lot if you don't know anyone, and especially so if you know someone very influential.
    Last edited by The Batman; 2013-02-14 at 03:19 AM.

  2. #502
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    And some jobs pay you a lot more money and require no special skills whatsoever, that's also a fact of life.

    Being a vet requires the same amount of schooling and training as a doctor, as well as knowledge on a fairly equal level, yet vets get paid jack compared to doctors.

    An MBA, that takes 5-6 years to attain, has the potential to get you more pay than being a doctor, which takes 9+ years to attain a full medical doctorate, after residency and everything else. Yet MBA jobs are glorified paper pushers.

    I've known people without even a GED make more than those with a college degree, not because they know more or are any more skilled, but because they knew the right people.

    I think the famous quote "It's not what you know but who you know" applies here. Your skill and knowledge don't mean a whole lot if you don't know anyone, and especially so if you know someone very influential.

    So what is your point? what is holding you back? If you claim person X got where he is not because he put forth more effort. but because he knew the right people what is keeping you from knowing the right people? If you claim that a vet puts forth the same effort and training as a doctor and deserves the same pay as a doctor then become a doctor

    The market determines what a vet gets paid. One reason doctors are required to have to ask more for their services because of the cost of their malpractice insurance if a doctor screws up and cost a patients his life he can get sued for millions if a vet screws up it will cost a pets life and you might beable to sue for a few thousand
    Risk to one self or others is a determining factor in pay take a window washer for example one that stays on the ground and washes windows on houses does not get paid the same as one who washes widows on sky scrappers even thou they are doing the same job washing windows
    there is many determining factors in why one job pays more then the next and it isn't always how much training or effort it is requires to do that job

  3. #503
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post

    The market determines what a vet gets paid. One reason doctors are required to have to ask more for their services because of the cost of their malpractice insurance if a doctor screws up and cost a patients his life he can get sued for millions if a vet screws up it will cost a pets life and you might beable to sue for a few thousand
    Risk to one self or others is a determining factor in pay take a window washer for example one that stays on the ground and washes windows on houses does not get paid the same as one who washes widows on sky scrappers even thou they are doing the same job washing windows
    there is many determining factors in why one job pays more then the next and it isn't always how much training or effort it is requires to do that job
    You don't think doctors have insurance to cover them...?



  4. #504
    Moderator Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    21,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    The market determines what a vet gets paid.
    This is one of those lovely moments when someone totally contradicts their own earlier argument;
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    It is combination of the supply side and the demand side that sets the price of a product
    I'd thank you for conceding that it's the market that determines prices on products, not suppliers, but I'm reasonably sure you'll try to doublethink your way out of that.

  5. #505
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    You don't think doctors have insurance to cover them...?


    Read Much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    One reason doctors are required to have to ask more for their services because of the cost of their malpractice insurance

  6. #506
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Read Much?

    You missed the point. Why do they still make more after including insurance payments?

    There is no personal risk as long as they are insured, so it's not risk...
    Last edited by Purlina; 2013-02-14 at 02:10 PM.

  7. #507
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Read Much?
    What determines the cost of malpractice insurance? Because it seems like your saying insurance companies set the price of service, if the price is the result of malpractice insurance. Malpractice insurance is one of the major things that needs to be reformed in healthcare.
    Go Hawks!!!!

  8. #508
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Why was your paper better? What ability caused your paper to be better, when effort was the same?
    really? well considering we're all not robots here, maybe he's just a better researcher? a better writer? has a better grasp of the subject matter? is more efficient with him time?

  9. #509
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSageCorban View Post
    really? well considering we're all not robots here, maybe he's just a better researcher? a better writer? has a better grasp of the subject matter? is more efficient with him time?

    What makes a person a better writer, or researcher?

    Effort and practice!

  10. #510
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    What makes a person a better writer, or researcher?

    Effort and practice!
    or having a natural skill for it. Some people are just smarter. (and some are just really really dumb, on the flip side.)

  11. #511
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSageCorban View Post
    really? well considering we're all not robots here, maybe he's just a better researcher? a better writer? has a better grasp of the subject matter? is more efficient with him time?
    Why are you better and more efficient? What effort did you put in to be better? Have the goal posts changed and the person is just inherently better or was there effort that makes him have a better grasp, be more efficient and better researcher? I asked why and you responded with how they can be better and ask really? I'll toss a cliche out too... 'Cmon man!
    Go Hawks!!!!

  12. #512
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is one of those lovely moments when someone totally contradicts their own earlier argument;

    I'd thank you for conceding that it's the market that determines prices on products, not suppliers, but I'm reasonably sure you'll try to doublethink your way out of that.

    what is a market?

    "A market is one of many varieties of systems, institutions, procedures, social relations and infrastructures whereby parties engage in exchange. While parties may exchange goods and services by barter, most markets rely on sellers offering their goods or services (including labor) in exchange for money from buyers. It can be said that a market is the process by which the prices of goods and services are established."

    A market economy is an economy in which decisions regarding investment, production and distribution are based on supply and demand. and prices of goods and services are determined in a free price system.

    what is a free price system?

    "A free price system or free price mechanism (informally called the price system or the price mechanism) is an economic system where prices are set by the interchange of supply and demand, with the resulting prices being understood as signals that are communicated between producers and consumers which serve to guide the production and distribution of resources."

    the price of a product or service is the result of the producer and the consumer coming to an agreement on what the consumer is willing to pay and what the producer is willing to sell the product or the service for

    I never said it was only the producer who sets the price. but it is not what you claim that only the consumer sets the price it is an agreement amongst both

  13. #513
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSageCorban View Post
    or having a natural skill for it. Some people are just smarter. (and some are just really really dumb, on the flip side.)
    How much more do you get paid for the natural skill, doing the same job as someone who all they have is effort? Some people are just special?
    Go Hawks!!!!

  14. #514
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    How much more do you get paid for the natural skill, doing the same job as someone who all they have is effort? Some people are just special?
    Depends on the job? If I'm a naturally skilled, charismatic person with an IQ of 132 doing sales, I think I would do a lot better than a socially retarded idiot who just tries really really hard at the same job.

    I asked why and you responded with how they can be better and ask really? I'll toss a cliche out too... 'Cmon man!
    you asked why. I found the answer rather obvious. I still answered you though.
    Last edited by GreatSageCorban; 2013-02-14 at 02:42 PM.

  15. #515
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    You missed the point. Why do they still make more after including insurance payments?

    There is no personal risk as long as they are insured, so it's not risk...
    do you not understand that doctors have to pay for that insurance and the cost of that insurance is passed on to the consumer
    do you not understand that a brain or heart surgeon has to pay more for his insurance then a foot doctor because the higher risk involved in brain or heart surgery

    Or all you the type who doesn't care if he causes a car accident because you have insurance but fail to realize if you cause enough accidents the price if your insurance goes up because you just became a higher risk

  16. #516
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    do you not understand that doctors have to pay for that insurance and the cost of that insurance is passed on to the consumer
    do you not understand that a brain or heart surgeon has to pay more for his insurance then a foot doctor because the higher risk involved in brain or heart surgery

    Or all you the type who doesn't care if he causes a car accident because you have insurance but fail to realize if you cause enough accidents the price if your insurance goes up because you just became a higher risk

    I already told you. Look at the take home pay AFTER insurance costs, the average doctor still makes more when compared to the average veterinarian.

  17. #517
    Titan Kalyyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    11,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    If you were capable of doing the work that 4 people were previously doing, then clearly previously 4 people were actually doing the work of 1.
    Never said I did it successfully. In fact, most days I had to work 2-3 hours of overtime to finish my work load, which resulted in my supervisor constantly arguing with the manager, which resulted in my supervisor quitting, which resulted in half the staff quitting...

    It escalated quickly.

  18. #518
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    What determines the cost of malpractice insurance? .
    Risk or the determination of Risk

    the risk of causing damage or death
    A heart or brain surgeon malpractice insurance cost more then a foot doctor because the higher chance of the heart or brain surgeon to cause damage or death

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 09:58 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    I already told you. Look at the take home pay AFTER insurance costs, the average doctor still makes more when compared to the average veterinarian.
    like i have explained before there is many determining factors in why people are paid more then others. why some professions receive a higher pay then others and it isn't always effort or training
    the price of labor follow the same rules of supply and demand as do products

  19. #519
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    what is a market?
    *snip*
    So, the consumer determines what a vet gets paid, but both suppliers and consumers determine the price of goods?

  20. #520
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    yep pilferage more from the rich so he can buy more low information voters votes with bribes consisting of free cell phones, contraception, and food stamps
    Not sure if you're trying to parody an ill-informed conservative, or if you actually are one. If the latter, you -are- a low information voter.

    The free phones program was started under Reagan and expanded to include cell phones under Bush. Fail.
    The government isn't giving anyone free contraceptives, stop listening to Rush Limbaugh. Fail.

    Food stamp usage is up because we're in a recession. Regardless, it's still a trivial amount of the federal budget and conservatives whinge about it as though those "takers" (they all clearly deserve to starve) are the ones driving the debt up. They're not. If we're being brutally honest the debt is being racked up by old people (medicare/social security) and the military paired with the lowest tax rates since before World War II.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •