Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    liming Obama to one term would have helped the economy
    Just take the latest GDP we are going backwards
    Oh please, give it a break. We are going backwards because Congress won't pass obvious job and revenue producing legislation because they can't work together. Obama has done as much as he can to bolster the economy through Executive Orders and other moves, but it's up to Congress to increase taxes, cut some wasteful spending, and reinvest in the country's infrastructure. Simple (well, relatively so, lol), effective and would boost the economy, create jobs and businesses and get us back on track. No one disagrees with that. And it's certainly not Obama's fault that McConnell is a pathetic obstructionist.
    The less you know, the more you believe.

Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hate, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

yes when the majority of profeesor are liberals
    If all the majority of people with all the training and education don't agree with you, as conservatives seem to think, maybe its time to reevaluate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

that someone wouldn't have to live in poverty if he didn't have to pay so much to live
    when you force a business to increase wages with out increasing productivity then the business is forced to raise its prices and when prices increase so does the cost of living
    Jim Siegal - CEO of Costco, the 2nd largest retailer in America.

Pay for the average worker is $17 an hour at Costco

They get FULL MEDICAL BENEFITS

The CEO willingly only gets paid under $500k a year, more than enough to live happily and can retire but doesn't. The rest goes right into his company and his employees...

The CEO is a staunch liberal and fully supported Obamacare.

I repeat - the SECOND LARGEST RETAILER IN AMERICA.

Want to know why they work their asses off there and motivates them? BECAUSE THEY'RE PAID WELL AND KEPT HEALTHY!!! Who in their right mind wouldn't want to loose that!

Here's a tip human beings seem to have forgotten... if you feed a starving dog, that dog becomes loyal to you. Sure, some dogs may gain weight, and may expect a hand-out every now and again - but when it comes to defending his master, making the family happy and their home (which is their job), they will maul ANYBODY who gets in his way. This also applies to humans... but people just hear of the 1-3 bad apples who abuse wellfare for their own ends and think the entire human race is now corrupt.

Also - name me ONE CEO who is a lazy eff. They can retire 10x over right now, and yet they stay working for some reason. Why do you think that is? :P They can lay back and retire 10 generations of their family - but they don't. They willingly enter their meetings and stress of their work and stay on it. Why is that?
    Last edited by mvallas; 2013-02-13 at 05:58 AM.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

yes when the majority of profeesor are liberals
    So your stance as that a large majority of people with higher education are liberals because the people with highest education (Masters) that are qualified to teach them are also liberals?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Placing blame where blame is rightfully due seems to be lost with many people these days. People seem to want to blame whoever they don't agree with.

Repealing Glass-Stegal acts 20 and 32 led to banks being able to "regulate" themselves, and we see how well that turned out.

And the Fair Housing Act, which leads predatory lending companies to hand out mortgages to people they know couldn't afford them because the government was back part and all of some loans defaulted on. But that ended in late 07' or early 08' I believe and we all know what happened to housing after that.

If you can't place blame on a party or person that you agree with when they have done wrong, then I feel sorry for you.
    Don't forget to Blame Reagan, then, because he is responsible for repealing the other two self-regulating portions of that legislation. Glass-Stegal wasn't magically whisked away be Clinton, it was purposefully and consistently attacked for decades by corporations.

Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hate, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So your stance as that a large majority of people with higher education are liberals because the people with highest education (Masters) that are qualified to teach them are also liberals?
    You know, I always hear about all these liberal professors, but I've yet to meet one...

Probably because I'm in Indiana (aka The Republican Fortress of Doom/Corn).

Anyway, the tl;dr of Obama's speech seems to be that America is winning.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    No, you really didn't, but you probably don't realize it yet.

You, in fact, put forth three suppositions disguised as questions that had nothing to do with my statement of fact. Bush is the one that took a surplus budget (not deficit, which is actually a good thing, in moderation - not what it is now, of course) and pissed it away. Bush is the one that spent $2-4 trillion without paying for it with cost-cutting or revenue (and in fact lowered revenue).
    While not defending the increase of the federal debt under President Bush, it is aggravating seeing Clinton's record promoted as having generated a surplus.

It never happened.

There was never a surplus and the cold hard facts support that position. In fact, far from a $360 billion reduction in the national debt in FY1998-FY2000, there was an increase of $281 billion.

Verifying this is as simple as accessing the U.S. Treasury http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogi… website where the national debt is updated daily and a history of the debt since January 1993 can be obtained. Considering the government's fiscal year ends on the last day of September each year, and considering Clinton's budget proposal in 1993 took effect in October 1993 and concluded September 1994 (FY1994), here's the national debt at the end of each year of Clinton Budgets:

Fiscal Year Year Ending National Debt/Deficit
    FY1993 09/30/1993 $4.411488 trillion
    FY1994 09/30/1994 $4.692749 trillion $281.26 billion
    FY1995 09/29/1995 $4.973982 trillion $281.23 billion
    FY1996 09/30/1996 $5.224810 trillion $250.83 billion
    FY1997 09/30/1997 $5.413146 trillion $188.34 billion
    FY1998 09/30/1998 $5.526193 trillion $113.05 billion
    FY1999 09/30/1999 $5.656270 trillion $130.08 billion
    FY2000 09/29/2000 $5.674178 trillion $17.91 billion
    FY2001 09/28/2001 $5.807463 trillion $133.29 billion

As can clearly be seen, in no year did the national debt go down, nor did Clinton leave President Bush with a budget surplus that Bush subsequently turned into a deficit.
    Yes, the budget was almost balanced in FY2000 (ending in September 2000 with a deficit of "only" $17.9 billion), but it never reached zero--let alone a positive number. And Clinton's last budget proposal for FY2001, which ended in September 2001, generated a $133.29 billion deficit.
    The growing deficits started in the year of the last Clinton budget, not in the first year of the Bush administration.

There was NEVER A SURPLUS or a BALANCED BUDGET.

You were saying? Bush had a huge surplus did he?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    You know, I always hear about all these liberal professors, but I've yet to meet one...

Probably because I'm in Indiana (aka The Republican Fortress of Doom/Corn).

Anyway, the tl;dr of Obama's speech seems to be that America is winning.
    What the fuck are we winning? lol

they are teaching because they cant do what they are teaching successful business men do not become professor they become millionaires
    you have herd of the saying if you cant do you teach

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Jim Siegal - CEO of Costco, the 2nd largest retailer in America.

Pay for the average worker is $17 an hour at Costco

They get FULL MEDICAL BENEFITS

The CEO willingly only gets paid under $500k a year, more than enough to live happily and can retire but doesn't. The rest goes right into his company and his employees...

The CEO is a staunch liberal and fully supported Obamacare.

I repeat - the SECOND LARGEST RETAILER IN AMERICA.

Want to know why they work their asses off there and motivates them? BECAUSE THEY'RE PAID WELL AND KEPT HEALTHY!!! Who in their right mind wouldn't want to loose that!

Here's a tip human beings seem to have forgotten... if you feed a starving dog, that dog becomes loyal to you. Sure, some dogs may gain weight, and may expect a hand-out every now and again - but when it comes to defending his master, making the family happy and their home (which is their job), they will maul ANYBODY who gets in his way. This also applies to humans... but people just hear of the 1-3 bad apples who abuse wellfare for their own ends and think the entire human race is now corrupt.

Also - name me ONE CEO who is a lazy eff. They can retire 10x over right now, and yet they stay working for some reason. Why do you think that is? :P They can lay back and retire 10 generations of their family - but they don't. They willingly enter their meetings and stress of their work and stay on it. Why is that?
    I agree with the sentiment regarding Costco, but you have to know the answer to your last question, right? Money and power.

they are teaching because they cant do what they are teaching successful business men do not become professor they become millionaires
    Are... are you Sarah Palin? Your little 'folksy sayings' pale in the face of actual data.

Don't forget to Blame Reagan, then, because he is responsible for repealing the other two self-regulating portions of that legislation. Glass-Stegal wasn't magically whisked away be Clinton, it was purposefully and consistently attacked for decades by corporations.
    Reagan didn't gut it to where banks were regulating themselves did he? No. He is at fault for what he did repeal though.

No, he is saying that only people who have a higher education are liberal. I don't understand how that means their bad...
    Go Hawks!!!!

I agree with the sentiment regarding Costco, but you have to know the answer to your last question, right? Money and power.
    But they have that without having to work anymore - that's my point. They can just sit back and not be active at all - and enjoy a life of power and money without attending a single meeting ever again... but yet they remain active in the business.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

As a teacher I find this ridiculously insulting.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    As a teacher I find this ridiculously insulting.
    Oh come on. Who would be STUPID enough to try to educate people instead of just swindling them and making billions, instantly?

This post was also a joke. If you take this seriously please take a baseball bat to your computer. Thank you.

Oh come on. Who would be STUPID enough to try to educate people instead of just swindling them and making billions, instantly?

This post was also a joke. If you take this seriously please take a baseball bat to your computer. Thank you.
    Implying I own a baseball bat. Sheesh.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    But they have that without having to work anymore - that's my point. They can just sit back and not be active at all - and enjoy a life of power and money without attending a single meeting ever again... but yet they remain active in the business.
    What do men with power want? More power. Same goes for money. Some CEO"s have an insane amount of power, that alone is enough to make some people go to work. Hell there is a guy where my wife works who only wants the Assistant manager position so he can talk to people in his "daddy voice"......

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Implying I own a baseball bat. Sheesh.
    Riding Crop?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    While not defending the increase of the federal debt under President Bush, it is aggravating seeing Clinton's record promoted as having generated a surplus.

It never happened.
    Sure it did. Your numbers aren't really based on how deficits are calculated.

You were saying? Bush had a huge surplus did he?
    Again, please refrain from putting words in my mouth. Bush had a surplus, and then proceeded to spend trillions while lowering taxes and not paying for his expenditures.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-02-13 at 06:13 AM.