View Poll Results: Should Garrosh Kill Thrall?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Garrosh Should Kill Thrall

    79 32.92%
  • No Thrall Should Live

    161 67.08%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Why is that a bloody issue for you? This is a FANSTASY STORY, Characters with remarkable powers in a fantasy universe. The Writers of Warcraft are confessed comic book readers, and so many characters have comic book hero undertones.

    This isn't a mistake, its how the writers have it, you don't anything to stand on here.
    Because a fantasy story still has unwritten laws to follow.
    And one of those laws is: If the protagonist has it easy, the story if bloody shoddy to begin with.

    Superman sucks. He's a wussie, coward weakling. You know why? Because he's bloody superman. Hey; I'd be superman too, if I were bloody invulnerable, could fly (or jump very far), had the strength of twenty or more humans, and had, as my only weakness, a mineral that's not even native to the solar system I reside in.

    Then the writers need to fabricate all sorts of stupendously idiotic reasons for that mineral to suddenly be bloody EVERYWHERE for no good reason, just to create the illusion that the protagonist is actually facing a threat rather than an antagonist who is barely even a nuisance to our 'hero.'

    All sorts of people seem to assume that, in fantasy, anything goes. But the only 'fantasy' in which anything goes is the 'fantasy' written by people who lack imagination, and are only interested in shinies and sparklies.

  2. #82
    Banned Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    15,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Because a fantasy story still has unwritten laws to follow.
    And one of those laws is: If the protagonist has it easy, the story if bloody shoddy to begin with.

    Superman sucks. He's a wussie, coward weakling. You know why? Because he's bloody superman. Hey; I'd be superman too, if I were bloody invulnerable, could fly (or jump very far), had the strength of twenty or more humans, and had, as my only weakness, a mineral that's not even native to the solar system I reside in.

    Then the writers need to fabricate all sorts of stupendously idiotic reasons for that mineral to suddenly be bloody EVERYWHERE for no good reason, just to create the illusion that the protagonist is actually facing a threat rather than an antagonist who is barely even a nuisance to our 'hero.'

    All sorts of people seem to assume that, in fantasy, anything goes. But the only 'fantasy' in which anything goes is the 'fantasy' written by people who lack imagination, and are only interested in shinies and sparklies.
    your using an very one dimensional argument. Superman is the main character in his own franchise and a leading character in JLA. He's also got a massive fanbase worldwide, and leads the stories no. If your not aware, supermans theme isn't based off of him being able to sort all his problems with his powers, its based on his human nature and trying to live with that. And he has weaknesses, so even saying supermans perfect because of his strong he is doesn't make sense, he even died once in the comics, a massive shock to his vast fanbase, and then he came back.

    You have a single minded opinion of what makes for a good fantasy story. You don't want Thrall to die because of a decent and meaningful reason, you just want him to die because his actions don't agree with your poor logic on how you think the story should be, and so want to off a character, giving you an unrealistic sense of satisfaction.

  3. #83
    Scarab Lord Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    4,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Because a fantasy story still has unwritten laws to follow.
    And one of those laws is: If the protagonist has it easy, the story if bloody shoddy to begin with.

    Superman sucks. He's a wussie, coward weakling. You know why? Because he's bloody superman. Hey; I'd be superman too, if I were bloody invulnerable, could fly (or jump very far), had the strength of twenty or more humans, and had, as my only weakness, a mineral that's not even native to the solar system I reside in.

    Then the writers need to fabricate all sorts of stupendously idiotic reasons for that mineral to suddenly be bloody EVERYWHERE for no good reason, just to create the illusion that the protagonist is actually facing a threat rather than an antagonist who is barely even a nuisance to our 'hero.'

    All sorts of people seem to assume that, in fantasy, anything goes. But the only 'fantasy' in which anything goes is the 'fantasy' written by people who lack imagination, and are only interested in shinies and sparklies.
    I would hardly call thrall superman. Point is, if you want thrall to die everyone that is more powerful then generic orc A and normal human B needs to die as well, cause there are hundreds of characters in lore that are more powerful then thrall.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Stop posting here then. Stop playing warcraft (or being one of those posters who doesn't play wow anymore but just hangs around threads for creeping sake), go read game of thrones, where characters die out all though it. If you get a jolly fro seeing major characters die then find a franchise that does that for you.
    I have stopped playing Warcraft; I play GW2 now- Not for the story, but because I enjoy the game more. Well, I've stopped playing WoW, I'll occasionally download WC3+TFT for a good old spinneroo through the campaign. Chapter one is a better Fall To The Dark Side story than Revenge of the Sith!

    This is what I mean when I say that talking to you is ultimately futile. You've completely misconstrued what I'm saying. Whether or not characters get killed off left and right is immaterial to me; what I care about is good writing, and if good writing necessitates people being killed off left and right, then so be it.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

  5. #85
    Yes, I think he should. I think the game needs more main characters dying more often to keep things flowing and allow us to see new/other characters come forward.

    I also think Thrall is one of the most badly written characters in WoW anyway and a terrible mancrush of Metzen's that can do nothing wrong and never has any weaknesses. Why exactly wasn't Thrall held more accountable for his Horde's actions throughout Wrath? Why is he not held accountable now for his passive washing of his hands towards Garrosh's Horde? He seemingly doesn't care for Jaina or Anduin considering Garrosh has directly destroyed the lives of both who were always willing to work with him towards peace.

    He's just ridiculous and totally not relatable in terms of his thought processes and actions.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    your using an very one dimensional argument. Superman is the main character in his own franchise and a leading character in JLA. He's also got a massive fanbase worldwide, and leads the stories no. If your not aware, supermans theme isn't based off of him being able to sort all his problems with his powers, its based on his human nature and trying to live with that. And he has weaknesses, so even saying supermans perfect because of his strong he is doesn't make sense, he even died once in the comics, a massive shock to his vast fanbase, and then he came back.

    You have a single minded opinion of what makes for a good fantasy story. You don't want Thrall to die because of a decent and meaningful reason, you just want him to die because his actions don't agree with your poor logic on how you think the story should be, and so want to off a character, giving you an unrealistic sense of satisfaction.
    No... I want Thrall (and other characters with power like him) to never get to the point of being so bloody powerful in the first place.
    Since that's too late, I want them to disappear for some reason. Just to make sure there can actually be something we can be scared of.

  7. #87
    Banned Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    15,749
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I have stopped playing Warcraft; I play GW2 now- Not for the story, but because I enjoy the game more. Well, I've stopped playing WoW, I'll occasionally download WC3+TFT for a good old spinneroo through the campaign. Chapter one is a better Fall To The Dark Side story than Revenge of the Sith!

    This is what I mean when I say that talking to you is ultimately futile. You've completely misconstrued what I'm saying. Whether or not characters get killed off left and right is immaterial to me; what I care about is good writing, and if good writing necessitates people being killed off left and right, then so be it.
    The way I see it, your trying to make an argument with a franchise you don't want anything more to do with and just hanging around on threads for the hell of it, so why should I even argue with you anymore. I'd sooner just ignore you.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 05:43 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    No... I want Thrall (and other characters with power like him) to never get to the point of being so bloody powerful in the first place.
    Since that's too late, I want them to disappear for some reason. Just to make sure there can actually be something we can be scared of.
    Have you even been listening to facts of the story here? JAINA was shown as being MORE powerful then him, Thrall couldn't hold against her when she tried to destroy orgrimmar and kill him at the same time. Your argument of 'he's so powerful now he should just disappear' is garbage when there are lore characters more powerful then he is.

  8. #88
    Mechagnome Mikehuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Frozen Throne
    Posts
    511
    There's no pleasing anyone anymore lol Alliance themed Wrath....Horde themed Cataclysm....Mists be both. Bolvar keeps the scourge on lockdown or they'll be everywhere again causing shit load of problems. Thrall saves the world from destruction with the help of the aspects.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Have you even been listening to facts of the story here? JAINA was shown as being MORE powerful then him, Thrall couldn't hold against her when she tried to destroy orgrimmar and kill him at the same time. Your argument of 'he's so powerful now he should just disappear' is garbage when there are lore characters more powerful then he is.
    And why the bloody hell is Jaina suddenly more powerful than the bleeding Chosen One? And why isn't that a problem?
    She should never be able to rise to such a level. Replace Thrall with Jaina, and you've still got the same issue at hand.

  10. #90
    Banned Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    15,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikehuntz View Post
    There's no pleasing anyone anymore lol Alliance themed Wrath....Horde themed Cataclysm....Mists be both. Bolvar keeps the scourge on lockdown or they'll be everywhere again causing shit load of problems. Thrall saves the world from destruction with the help of the aspects.
    Malfurion raises a new world tree in hyjal, holds a storm from destroying darkshore, commands wisps to destroy archimonde, but ooooh no he's alright, thats fine, he can't be considered overpowered can he.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    The way I see it, your trying to make an argument with a franchise you don't want anything more to do with and just hanging around on threads for the hell of it, so why should I even argue with you anymore. I'd sooner just ignore you.
    If I didn't want anything more to do with WoW, I'd leave, unless you think torturing you is really enough amusement to stick around, in which case you have an awfully inflated ego.

    I'd love to have an adult conversation about the flaws of Warcraft's writing. Would you like to have an adult conversation about the flaws of Warcraft's writing?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

  12. #92
    Banned Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    15,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    And why the bloody hell is Jaina suddenly more powerful than the bleeding Chosen One? And why isn't that a problem?
    She should never be able to rise to such a level. Replace Thrall with Jaina, and you've still got the same issue at hand.
    There is no issue. The only issue is your personal one. The writers make characters into powerful beings. The enemies they fight are even more so.

    You keep making out that theres some problem with having powerful characters in a story like warcraft, but you don't even have a reasonable argument for it.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    There is no issue. The only issue is your personal one. The writers make characters into powerful beings. The enemies they fight are even more so.

    You keep making out that theres some problem with having powerful characters in a story like warcraft, but you don't even have a reasonable argument for it.
    I do have a reasonable argument, and I have given it quite a few times.
    You just don't want to acknowledge it.

  14. #94
    Scarab Lord Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    4,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Yes, I think he should. I think the game needs more main characters dying more often to keep things flowing and allow us to see new/other characters come forward.

    I also think Thrall is one of the most badly written characters in WoW anyway and a terrible mancrush of Metzen's that can do nothing wrong and never has any weaknesses. Why exactly wasn't Thrall held more accountable for his Horde's actions throughout Wrath? Why is he not held accountable now for his passive washing of his hands towards Garrosh's Horde? He seemingly doesn't care for Jaina or Anduin considering Garrosh has directly destroyed the lives of both who were always willing to work with him towards peace.

    He's just ridiculous and totally not relatable in terms of his thought processes and actions.

    No weaknesses? have you ever played the 4.1 storyline?

  15. #95
    Moderator Zoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    7,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    No... I want Thrall (and other characters with power like him) to never get to the point of being so bloody powerful in the first place.
    Since that's too late, I want them to disappear for some reason. Just to make sure there can actually be something we can be scared of.
    The reason the heroes are made powerful is because the villians are so powerful. To take Thrall for example, since he's the main target of this thread, he got ripped apart by Fandral, and needed three shots from the Dragon Soul to finally bring Deathwing down, with the help of the other four Aspects. If not for us, all of them would have been killed by Ultraxion. They made Tirion powerful, but that's because Arthas was so strong he just toys with raiders and then one-shots them. And I can't help but feel that once KJ, Azshara, etc make their main villain debuts, we are going to need strong heroes such as Thrall.

    Compared to playable shamans, Thrall is godmode. Compared to some of the villains in lore, Thrall is an insect.

  16. #96
    Banned Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    15,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I do have a reasonable argument, and I have given it quite a few times.
    You just don't want to acknowledge it.
    keep telling yourself that, you won't believe anything else.

  17. #97
    I don't think that Thrall should die just for the sake of killing him, but if they use his death to advance the story in an interesting way, then sure.

  18. #98
    Moderator Zoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    7,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    And why the bloody hell is Jaina suddenly more powerful than the bleeding Chosen One? And why isn't that a problem?
    She should never be able to rise to such a level. Replace Thrall with Jaina, and you've still got the same issue at hand.
    She was using the Focusing Iris, one of the Blue Dragonflight's most powerful (if not the most powerful) artifacts to enhance her power.

  19. #99
    Thrall hate here is pathetic. Thrall is the only reason Orcs have been distanced from their stereotypical fantasy roles in games. Thrall isn't "more human than orc" cause to say that is to imply humans aren't short-sighted, arrogant bastards in WoW (which they are). Granted he might have been placed on a pedestal in Cataclysm but is it really that bad compared to others? Would you prefer he went the route of Malfurion and just remained utterly useless to anyone? Or go off the deep end like Kael'thas and become "corrupted". Garrosh contrasts how different Thrall was from a typical warmongering supremacist Orc. And Thrall hasn't changed (while Garrosh has) so if you loved the Horde pre-Cata, you loved Thrall. And he's far from perfect, what makes him great is that he's humble enough to realise this and willing to learn from his mistakes...

    Thrall couldn't hold against her when she tried to destroy orgrimmar
    Jaina may have wielded more magical power but Thrall had strength of spirit that exceeded Jaina's by far. This is a theme from MoP. Perhaps in brute force Jaina was stronger but that isn't the end all in the WoW universe and many characters see this (which is why Tyrande chose Malfurion over Illidan, for example)

  20. #100
    If Thrall died you would hear the cry of a thousand fanboys. Blizzard would NEVER kill Thrall. He is their child. They have had him since the beginning pretty much. Not to mention they've gone too far to make him Jesus to kill him off for real.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •