15+ Year Old Account
    Destiny is a great game, but it has some major flaws. These flaws cause massive frustrations among players, and they could easily be fixed. Here is my list of issues:

1) The best and most effective means of character progression past level 20 is sitting on a rock and shooting at a cave entrance for hours on end. I don't think I need to explain why this is bad gameplay.

2) Big bosses at the end of strikes/raids drop no loot, giving virtually no incentive for players to do them. Example: I just did the level 24 strike playlist. It was extremely difficult, extremely time consuming, and the last boss, Phogoth, can go kiss my ass it was so damned difficult. But what did I get out of that incredible time sink and difficulty? Absolutely nothing save 2 uncommon engrams that netted nothing of use to me. The end bosses need to have a 100% chance loot of dropping AT LEAST one rare engram, and a chance at a legendary, higher than normal mobs out in the world. This gives incentives to do strikes. Because as it stands, I will *never* do that again, why? Because there is absolutely no reason to do so.

3) The chance of getting a Legendary engram off random mobs is almost non existent, but on the off chance that it DOES happen, there's a (seemingly) 99% chance that it's a blue, green, or a legendary for another class. This is absurd. There is no reason for this whatsoever; the design philosophy behind this is idiotic at best. There is not a single more frustrating thing in the entire game than getting a legendary engram after hours of farming and it be a green hand cannon for a level 14. Please, whoever decided to make this design choice, quit. Just quit your job, please.

4) Reputation grinding is far too tedious and slow. Strikes offer so very little reward, and to top it off, minimal reputation. After 4 hours of reputation grinding for Dead Orbit, I am still like 1/8th into rank "zero". Yeah, that needs to change, and fast. Bungie doesn't advertise this game as an MMO, and have been very adamant about not calling it an MMO from the beginning, so why is it so grindy like an MMO? This is Destiny, not World of Warcraft, I shouldn't be spending days, even weeks, farming reputations. That's not what this game was advertised as.

5) There needs to be a forward momentum when attempting to get gear that is tangible and something you can feel and notice/experience, else gameplay gets boring and stale. Around level 23, progression seems to halt for some, completely become non existent for others, and for the lucky few, is a joyride filled with purple engrams, but those lucky few are a very small sample size. Sure, you may look at this level 22 in full purples and say "There's no problem!" but that's a vast minority. Most of us are in in the same gear we've had for days/weeks trying to find an upgrade with 5 more light on it so we can possible level up. That's bad gameplay. I have been the same level for 5 days now, with the exact same gear. Is this because I've not done anything and haven't been trying?
    -5 hours minimum per day
    -Strikes
    -Crucible
    -Bounties
    -Farming that stupid cave for hours a day

Everything I can possibly do to get an upgrade, I'm doing. But my reward is nothing. Yet people who go -23 in that last pvp match got 2 legendary engrams. Worst reward system for any pvp game that I have ever played in my entire life.

Well, that's about it for my rant/review for now. I enjoy the game, I really really do, but it's so damned frustrating 90% of the time after you hit level 20. Pure RNG loot coupled with another luck based roll to even get an item you can use? Awful. I give the game a 7/10, and only so low just because it's so damned annoying so much. I'm sure I'd think differently if I was one of the few who have amazing luck with engrams, but my luck is non existent apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Destiny is a great game, but it has some major flaws. These flaws cause massive frustrations among players, and they could easily be fixed. Here is my list of issues:

1) The best and most effective means of character progression past level 20 is sitting on a rock and shooting at a cave entrance for hours on end. I don't think I need to explain why this is bad gameplay.

2) Big bosses at the end of strikes/raids drop no loot, giving virtually no incentive for players to do them. Example: I just did the level 24 strike playlist. It was extremely difficult, extremely time consuming, and the last boss, Phogoth, can go kiss my ass it was so damned difficult. But what did I get out of that incredible time sink and difficulty? Absolutely nothing save 2 uncommon engrams that netted nothing of use to me. The end bosses need to have a 100% chance loot of dropping AT LEAST one rare engram, and a chance at a legendary, higher than normal mobs out in the world. This gives incentives to do strikes. Because as it stands, I will *never* do that again, why? Because there is absolutely no reason to do so.

3) The chance of getting a Legendary engram off random mobs is almost non existent, but on the off chance that it DOES happen, there's a (seemingly) 99% chance that it's a blue, green, or a legendary for another class. This is absurd. There is no reason for this whatsoever; the design philosophy behind this is idiotic at best. There is not a single more frustrating thing in the entire game than getting a legendary engram after hours of farming and it be a green hand cannon for a level 14. Please, whoever decided to make this design choice, quit. Just quit your job, please.

4) Reputation grinding is far too tedious and slow. Strikes offer so very little reward, and to top it off, minimal reputation. After 4 hours of reputation grinding for Dead Orbit, I am still like 1/8th into rank "zero". Yeah, that needs to change, and fast. Bungie doesn't advertise this game as an MMO, and have been very adamant about not calling it an MMO from the beginning, so why is it so grindy like an MMO? This is Destiny, not World of Warcraft, I shouldn't be spending days, even weeks, farming reputations. That's not what this game was advertised as.

5) There needs to be a forward momentum when attempting to get gear that is tangible and something you can feel and notice/experience, else gameplay gets boring and stale. Around level 23, progression seems to halt for some, completely become non existent for others, and for the lucky few, is a joyride filled with purple engrams, but those lucky few are a very small sample size. Sure, you may look at this level 22 in full purples and say "There's no problem!" but that's a vast minority. Most of us are in in the same gear we've had for days/weeks trying to find an upgrade with 5 more light on it so we can possible level up. That's bad gameplay. I have been the same level for 5 days now, with the exact same gear. Is this because I've not done anything and haven't been trying?
    -5 hours minimum per day
    -Strikes
    -Crucible
    -Bounties

Everything I can possibly do to get an upgrade, I'm doing. But my reward is nothing. Yet people who go -23 in that last pvp match got 2 legendary engrams. Worst reward system for any pvp game that I have ever played in my entire life.

Well, that's about it for my rant/review for now. I enjoy the game, I really really do, but it's so damned frustrating 90% of the time after you hit level 20. Pure RNG loot coupled with another luck based roll to even get an item you can use? Awful. I give the game a 7/10, and only so low just because it's so damned annoying so much. I'm sure I'd think differently if I was one of the few who have amazing luck with engrams, but my luck is non existent apparently.
    I will edit my response as I go but I wanted to post right away. To be fair with the Phogoth fight, it is probably the hardest end boss fight for strikes due to the insane amount of adds that come in throughout the course of the fight. However I absolutely agree that they should drop loot and strikes done via playlist should grant the best total Vanguard Reputation. I can do three to five bounties(for about 150-500 Vanguard rep) in less time than it took me to finish that strike last night. All for a measly 14 Vanguard rep and 3 Vanguard coins....The rewards(if no loot) should be the highest total marks/rep. However I still think there should be loot with the final boss as well as a much higher rep gain from doing them.

Going to your next point(#3) I agree about the legendary engram giving a green or something for another class. It shouldn't be guaranteed legendary, but it should give a damn good blue at the minimum. Once you get all Legendary gear the game will probably lose it's fun(until more shit is added later and in which case I will fully support what you are saying). However the fact it can be for another class is embarrassing.

Going into your point about the loot, I have been level 21 for about a week and a half. I don't let the gear bother me because the game is still fun. I do think it is TOO grindy. Not everyone has all day everyday to play the game. and I'm barely rank 1 crucible rep and not even into rep 1 for vanguard. The reps need to come quicker, and going back to your first point about farming caves over strikes and whatnot I couldn't agree more with you on that. People shouldn't be firing at an unlimited spawn cave....they should be doing strikes and shit.
    Last edited by RuneDK; 2014-09-23 at 03:27 AM.

-5 hours minimum per day
    -Strikes
    -Crucible
    -Bounties

The biggest test to see how this itteration of bungie staff does will be to see if they listen to the playerbase like they used to and actually take the feedback to heart. Im still holding off to see if they fix alot of points brought up there and if bungie steps in and fix's the problems then ill pick it up but otherwise they will have emulated halo reach.

I would have to say that Priest boss battle on Venus is the hardest, only have a few seconds to shoot the boss before another wave of adds come out including a major eyeball. Plus the boss is the most mobile of them all which topped with the always spawning adds means you have to keep moving.

But I agree the loot should be better. It says a lot about a game when players would shoot into a hole for hours on end rather than do all that other end game content they put into the game. Strikes should give more reputation compared to patrol missions considering the time it takes to do them. Engrams should only give items at or higher than the quality they are originally, not lower.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2014-09-23 at 03:47 AM.

-5 hours minimum per day
    -Strikes
    -Crucible
    -Bounties

1) The best and most effective means of character progression is faction grinding with guaranteed legendary rewards. Why would you mindlessly cave farm when you can be actually playing the game?

2) Strikes could probably have better rewards, at the moment they only reason to do them is for Bounties and Exotic Bounties.

3) Double RNG is pretty dumb, but there are systems in place to get you guaranteed legendaries weekly.

4) You shouldn't be doing strikes to gain rep. Do all of your bounties daily and get purps while you have fun.

5) Don't farm the dumb cave, its worthless and just makes the game less fun. Do bounties, play PvP, have fun. I can count the number of times I lost PvP matches due to the other team having exotics/legendaries on one hand. Blade Dancers are the real issue there.

Basically, don't try and use the dumb double RNG system to get loot, the odds are against you. Just play the game and you'll rep up fast enough to get guaranteed character progression and maybe some decent end of match rewards too.

Edit: Forgot about strange coins and motes of light. I guess if you are 1-2 away from Xurs stuff this weekend you could make a case for cave farming to get those quickly? but thats pretty much it and is a fringe case.

Edit2: Chances are Bungie made some bad design decisions(purple engrams giving greens, strikes giving low rep) to extend gameplay. I guess they figured a lot of people would quit before they unveiled some of their later expansions and weekly events if everyone farmed the cave for 2 days, identified purple engrams and was done with the game.
    Last edited by Apprivoise; 2014-09-23 at 03:43 AM.

I've been running into problems with players leaving strikes if it is not Devil's Lair, lol. It has been the only one I have completed tonight. Both times I zoned into the Nexus and Archon Priest strikes, my teammates left me . I've been noticing this happening more and more here recently.
    Everyone can piss on the floor. So be a hero, and shit on the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzajin View Post
    I've been running into problems with players leaving strikes if it is not Devil's Lair, lol. It has been the only one I have completed tonight. Both times I zoned into the Nexus and Archon Priest strikes, my teammates left me . I've been noticing this happening more and more here recently.
    I've personally been leaving the Archon Priest strikes seeing how horrible that boss design is, and if one person leaves the others might as well too since it's unlikely you are going to get another person to fill the spot due to the system in place.

Hoping Bungie gets the message soon about either of those issues.

But I've thought the Nexus was the easiest and quickest of all the other strikes..

10+ Year Old Account
    Been watching several streams recently, here's my 2 cents.

Storyline isn't explained really well, from the fathers of HALO no less.
    Combat is a generic FPS.
    PvP is broken as all hell, titan charge/shotgun=death.
    Character customization is decent, would liked to have seen a few more options.
    I don't get a very "mmo" vibe from it, more like Borderlands with Halo graphics.
    The world events seem to be more of an annoyance to be avoided rather than an opportunity to group up and conquer them.
    Literally "Light" versus "Dark", weak plot elements imo.

All in all, I give it a 6/10, would not buy, especially since they're asking 70$ for it. Maybe down the road once they start adding to it/fine tuning it.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post

Combat is a generic FPS.
    I don't get a very "mmo" vibe from it, more like Borderlands with Halo graphics.
    The world events seem to be more of an annoyance to be avoided rather than an opportunity to group up and conquer them.

All in all, I give it a 6/10, would not buy, especially since they're asking 70$ for it. Maybe down the road once they start adding to it/fine tuning it.

Are you seriously reviewing a game without playing it?

Sup guys, just picked up a PS4 again and got Destiny with it. Sadly a lot of my old friend list hasn't done the same, as we all moved to xbox a while back haha. Looking for people to play with (for this and future games!) huge MP gamer here. Friendly and a good sense of humor.

PSN is HiItsDj

hope I find someone to level with, or even a few people! Just let me know you got my psn from here if you add me

15+ Year Old Account
    It's the only fair way to get loot in the game sadly. PvP you have to be terrible to get loot. PvE bosses don't drop loot and if they did it'd still have an equal drop chance as a mob dropping a legendary.

Only do those for bounties. Strikes are really not needed, just farm loot cave. Loot cave our way of telling them their game is broken, loot wise, in both PvP and PvE. IF they nerf loot cave, I'll still go back to farming strikes, they're quick, easy, and have lots of mobs to kill for a chance to get loot.

Nah not really, that's why we have loot cave. Legendaries are legendary. IMO, too many people have them and they're far too easy to get, Exotics are just as easy. Exotics should not be as easy to get as they are now.

It's only grindy if you don't know what you're doing. Don't farm strikes. Don't farm PvP. Do your daily bounties. Then go to Earth and farm the first two ares for "High Value Target" missions. When you summon your ghost you'll see 3 in the first area, if not there, go to the area with the airplanes to the left and check there. It'll have a white circle with a star in the middle. Farm those. 25 rep for 2 minutes of work. Get rank 3 in a day or two depending on your time. Rank 3 with each of the 3 factions give you guaranteed legendaries from that faction. 1-2. Also Destiny, WoW, what's the difference, it's an MMO. This is one of the least grindy mmo's I've played. There's so many ways around everything given to you, rep, loot, there's ways to go around the system and get these things faster. People just need to find them. Connect the dots.

-5 hours minimum per day
    -Strikes
    -Crucible
    -Bounties

Just the game they made. 24 is the highest you can get with level 20 blues fully upgraded. Fully upgraded purple with an exotic is supposed to get you to 30. The only way to do that is get legendaries faster. As well as dismantling legendaries so just those mats to upgrade your legendaries. Fastest way to do that is loot cave. It's a broken game, but loot cave really solves everything. Leveling a low character? Loot cave. Want light level? Loot cave. Need an event? Loot cave till it spawns. Leveling guns and armor? Loot cave. Need a break? Loot cave and let other people kill shit while you get loot and exp. Once they nerf it (if they even can) things will go back to normal, and boring. Just nerf loot cave and make bosses actually drop loot. Like, 90% chance to drop blues and 10% to drop legendary engrams.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Pinkie View Post

Just the game they made. 24 is the highest you can get with level 20 blues fully upgraded. Fully upgraded purple with an exotic is supposed to get you to 30. The only way to do that is get legendaries faster. As well as dismantling legendaries so just those mats to upgrade your legendaries. Fastest way to do that is loot cave. It's a broken game, but loot cave really solves everything. Leveling a low character? Loot cave. Want light level? Loot cave. Need an event? Loot cave till it spawns. Leveling guns and armor? Loot cave. Need a break? Loot cave and let other people kill shit while you get loot and exp. Once they nerf it (if they even can) things will go back to normal, and boring. Just nerf loot cave and make bosses actually drop loot. Like, 90% chance to drop blues and 10% to drop legendary engrams.
    This sounds like the least fun thing in the world.

Is it just me or did they buff the loot cave? Used to only be 3 mobs spawning at a time, now there are more spawning at a faster rate.

IIRC usually three acolytes spawn, occasionally it's 3-4 thralls+ 3-4 acolytes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post

The story is you're a solider woken up (hey the start of Halo 1) You wait 2 minutes to get a gun, and from then on, you're a solider fighting the enemies of the people telling you everything to do? Who's good, who's bad, doesn't matter, you're given orders no questions asked. That's how it is. Not confusing, at all. And it's not explains, because it does not need to be explained to our character. If it was, we would have questions for The Speaker and all the other people, and they would not like that.
    Combat is a generic FPS.
    Well it's a FPS. This is expected. Get a gun, level it up, get another gun, level it up, gg.
    There will always be something that dominates in PvP. Does not mean it is broken. Also it's a shotgun, of course it'll be OP. Exotic shotgun with a sunsinger warlock though, that'll make anyone sit down, especially a titan.

It's better than most shooters, glad there's more than one race. Just hope they add something later on that lets on change like in the tower or something. Also it's activision, they will make you spend real money soon for more options.

Dungeons. Raids. Endgame grinds. Rep grinds, it's very mmo.

No need to group, everyone gets credit regardless, and everyone helping goes towards the objective. They don't scale to level, and it's mostly people above 20 doing them anyway, so it'll be pushover content.

The only way to make you fight their battle is by the side they're on being the light/good side, and the people you're fighting are the dark/bad side. It's the easitest way to convice a dude to slaughter enemies with no questions asked. Goes back to the story point up there^

It'll be 30 bucks on Black Friday like most games that release ~2 months from Black Friday. Even Cyber Monday might have a deal for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Is it just me or did they buff the loot cave? Used to only be 3 mobs spawning at a time, now there are more spawning at a faster rate.
    Depends on where you stand. Standing in the lower are with the concrete barricades will just spawn 3 acolyte. Standing in the actual spot in the video will spawn both Thralls and Acolyte. Faster you kill them, faster they spawn. It's still the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Apprivoise View Post
    This sounds like the least fun thing in the world.
    Just the kind of game it is. Just Call of Duty with a PvE grind, and light level is prestige rank. I'm sure it'd be more fun if a class actually meant something more than a grenade and their special. But then guns wouldn't matter.

Just the kind of game it is. Just Call of Duty with a PvE grind, and light level is prestige rank. I'm sure it'd be more fun if a class actually meant something more than a grenade and their special. But then guns wouldn't matter.
    In my experience, class supers tend to make a lot of difference in pvp(see:arcblade). Supposedly Defenders and Sunsingers are better for high end PvE but I haven't done it so no idea.

I only play 1-2 hours a night and I find that's just enough time to complete most of my daily bounties and maybe get a few crucible matches in, which leads to guaranteed legendaries. Might be why I find cave farming boring. Different strokes I guess.

Edit: disregard first part, I see you meant class customization and not usefulness.
    Last edited by Apprivoise; 2014-09-23 at 05:08 AM.

1) The best and most effective means of character progression past level 20 is sitting on a rock and shooting at a cave entrance for hours on end. I don't think I need to explain why this is bad gameplay
    Not true tbh. The only good that comes from farming caves and other mass mobs is for the materials, which aren't rare to begin with. Glimmer is near worthless which IMO is a design Bungie needs to fix considering they promised or hinted an immense economy prior to release.

Do the loot caves if ur the type that plays the lottery, I have tried myself and gotten 7+ legendary engrams...all blue or coins. Do not trust the engrams. The one legendary I finally got from an engram isn't even that decent. Farm rep by completing bounties or doing patrol missions (strikes award near the same rep but take 50x longer). You also have the option to trade in 50 of a planet material (i.e. Spinmetal) for rep as well, but I'd hang on to those for the upgrades on future gear, you will need a lot.

I do agree that the game does need fixing. I'll chalk story up for what it is, wasted potential on Bungies part. As for the rest of the game, more activities are needed, randomness in PvE will help keep variety, bigger maps for Crucible that can support 12v12 or such (and make the green ammo much more rarer). The biggest addition that can help the game immensely though is in game chat or forum boards. Even if just within the clan as to prevent a mess of chat.

ATM my clan is simply just a side name below my character. A clan interface within the roster tab will also help to see who is online and do invites instead of requiring me to hunt down these players and hope they aren't busy with a strike or crucible.

- - - Updated - - -

Dungeons. Raids. Endgame grinds. Rep grinds, it's very mmo.
    Those are just dungeons and slightly bigger dungeons (what they call raids). That and grinding doesn't really constitute an MMO. D2 would be more of an MMO than Destiny if that were the case.

Well finished the story earlier today, pretty much the biggest wtf moment in my recent gaming history.

If i hadn't gotten an amazon gift card, and thus this game for free, i'd be writing letters for a refund. This games story and lack of content is so monumentally bad it makes me wonder if they even had a writing team.

Or maybe nobody at bungie actually played the game and said, hey guys...we uhh have pvp and like a third of a pve game here. Should we maybe finish our fucking jobs? And the other guy says, nope DLC it and charge them more.

What a spectacular fail.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

15+ Year Old Account
    Because im still not entirely sure, the end of the story was basically that mission with the gate and the statues coming to life yeah?

It probably wasnt even worth spoilering that.

Quote Originally Posted by 87Octane View Post
    You know those people you killed in BG's who didn't have gear? Yeah.... they weren't having as much as fun as you were....

A lot of those exotic still have sick bonuses from what I've heard.

BG's are capped now so anything beyond honor gear scales down. You are still penalized in Destiny for not being high level because you don't even have all of your talents unlocked yet. But yeah I mean you want better gear to compete in the Iron Banner, think of it like Destiny giving you an honor set for free for BG's. Which is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    It comes down to balance, PvP needs to be balanced and you can't compare wow to a FPS really, Iron crucible is where gear will make a big difference and even though I'm full legendary with exotic snipe and chest I'll be staying away from that crap as it'll be unbalanced to shit. The difference comes in terms of perks on the guns/gear like my Patience and Time sniper allows me to cloak and see radar while zoomed in and my chest increases range on my arcbolt grenade. I personally like the way it is, not hey you got luckier then the rest you can destroy people, get that shit out of here cause if it wants a competitive scene it needs to be balanced.
    Ya I know its capped from honor gear, but thats mean that all that is "crap" geared are equal but people that invest alot of time have advantage. Then I think the diffrent is abit too big in wow (compare someone with full BG gear and someone with full arena gear)

I think there should be a small advantage for those that have better gear, im not looking for a big one here. Im not having good gear either so I wouldt care if someone with full legendery will have advantage over me.
    They could make it scale so all had blue gear (so all new players are equal too like almost all players level1-23~

I understand that need to have it balanced, but it should be balanced in that way that people that invest time get advantage over those that play 15min(1game) per day.
    This is not an FPS like halo so stop comparing it too it :P

We can compare it to CoD, ppl that is higher level have a small advantage in having diffrent weapons unlocked and perks.
    Now in destiny there are very few pers on weapons that are good in pvp. Easy to obtain on blues if you are abit lucky.
    1 Exotic armor is very good to have and where only the diffrent lies atm imo. And the sniper "patiance and time", else I cant see any exotic/legendery that can be better then a random blue (with right upgrades on) in pvp
    Last edited by Christoffer1989; 2014-09-23 at 06:33 AM.
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 | AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H80i | 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz Cl9 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Vapor-X GHz Edition |
    XFX ProSeries XXX 850W | Fractal Design Define R4 | Samsung 840 ProSerie 256GB | 3TB HDD