Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    It's not the same system though, they explained that in Destiny 1 everything was handled by the player hosts which was why 1 player with a bad connection could wind up causing lag for everyone, in Destiny 2 some of that stuff will be taken over by the world server instead.
    It is the same system..
    https://www.vg247.com/2014/01/07/des...ng-tech-works/

It follows word that Destiny began life as a third-person shooter. Fancy that.

Speaking with GameInformer, Bungie technical director Chris Butcher said of Destiny’s matchmaking, “You have all of these examples of people who are doing big server cluster things like World of Warcraft or something like that.

“But we didn’t really want to do that, because if you think about those kinds of games, you’ve got a centralized server that’s simulating everything in the world, but that can only scale up to some number of players. Maybe it’s 1,000. Maybe it’s 5,000. Maybe it’s 20,000. You compare that to the population of a console game and it’s tiny.

“So what that means is that you have to have dozens or hundreds of these separate servers. So what that means is that you have to have dozens or hundreds of these separate servers. So we started out by thinking, ‘We want to have a single world that everybody can be in.'”

Butcher added that Bungie looked at, “mesh-based networking” as a solution, which means there won’t be any areas of the game left feeling under-populated, due to everyone being in the same server.

Discussing the benefits of mesh-based networking, Butcher continued, “when you do a simulation that runs on a single server on a big mainframe type thing, there are two problems that you get. One problem is all of the 5,000 people on your server nobody is playing in Old Russia at the moment so it’s just empty when you go there. Or the other problem is all 5,000 people logged in and tried to go to the same place at the same time and the server crashes or it gets so full up that it’s totally lagged out. And if it does get full then there are some of those games that will start having different instances, but typically they don’t handle that very well because it’s not a core part of the game design.

“For us we’ve kind of said we want this game world to be able to work with millions of players online at once. And that means playing to the strengths of the consoles. Being able to use these very powerful machines to run a lot of the simulation. Being able to use the servers in a seamless fashion so that as you’re moving from place to place you’re switching networks with all of the different people that are around you. You’ve got a very high quality fast action gameplay experience. If you have all of these calculations taking place in a central server that’s one place in the world you can’t really have a fast action experience.”

There’s more technical speak and matchmaking information through the link above, but for now, what do you think of Bungie’s one-server approach?
    Don't know why anyone expected anything different. The current system is a hybrid of P2p with some servers and so is Destiny 2.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

It's not the same.

“We've invested heavily in new server infrastructure for Destiny 2, including using cloud servers for gameplay for the first time,” said Segur. “We really believe this is the best model for all of Destiny 2's varied

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    It is the same system..

Don't know why anyone expected anything different. The current system is a hybrid of P2p with some servers and so is Destiny 2.
    Okay they are both Hybrid systems but the one is Destiny 2 is different from the one being used in Destiny 1.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is the same system..

The physics host is server side in Destiny 2, in D1 it was client side.

It is the same system..

It's not the same thing. They've literally said it's different.

More stuff is handled server side in Destiny 2, with the stuff being handled by someone's console having improved function over what it was in Destiny 1.

So, overall, the experience in Destiny 2 should be better than in Destiny 1.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2017-05-29 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bought the Collection yesterday.
    I had Destiny 1 at release, but sold it again not much longer than 4 weeks afterwards because I found it quite dull. After reading about (esp) Taken King I decided to give it another go in anticipation of Destiny 2.

Don't expect to clear all the raids and get showered in Exotics but it'd be a nice introduction to the series I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    Bought the Collection yesterday.
    I had Destiny 1 at release, but sold it again not much longer than 4 weeks afterwards because I found it quite dull. After reading about (esp) Taken King I decided to give it another go in anticipation of Destiny 2.

Don't expect to clear all the raids and get showered in Exotics but it'd be a nice introduction to the series I guess!
    Destiny 1 has a lot of problems. Mainly that you'll probably experience everything the game has to offer in about a week. It is very addictive, though, and you'll probably end up playing that same content again and again.

The issue Destiny 2 needs to resolve is giving the player enough to do. There's really no reason they can't achieve that, as long as they don't do something really stupid with the gameplay or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGhostly View Post
    Destiny 1 has a lot of problems. Mainly that you'll probably experience everything the game has to offer in about a week. It is very addictive, though, and you'll probably end up playing that same content again and again.

The issue Destiny 2 needs to resolve is giving the player enough to do. There's really no reason they can't achieve that, as long as they don't do something really stupid with the gameplay or something.
    I put in about 100 hours into Taken King before I started to run out of things to do so not sure what you're talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is my experience as well. Which is why i'm losing my love for Looters. Playing the same raid for 6 months just to try to get that perfect roll on a piece of armor, or a weapon, just loses it's appeal after a short while.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    I put in about 100 hours into Taken King before I started to run out of things to do so not sure what you're talking about.
    Haha, I don't know what game you were playing, then.

Haha, I don't know what game you were playing, then.
    Different strokes for different folks.

My wife and I have put in over 2000 hours each into Destiny because we have a group of people we always play with all the time. Raiding, PvPing, and just messing around with a good group of people does wonders to get more hours out of a game.

We can't wait to dive into Destiny 2 together.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Different strokes for different folks.

My wife and I have put in over 2000 hours each into Destiny because we have a group of people we always play with all the time. Raiding, PvPing, and just messing around with a good group of people does wonders to get more hours out of a game.

We can't wait to dive into Destiny 2 together.
    I didn't say I didn't play a ton of it -- my point was that you'll see all the content in a relatively short amount of time. Everydaygamer was suggesting there's 100 hours of original content in Taken King, which I think is patently false. It would be like saying Ghostbusters is fifty hours of content because you've seen it thirty times.

I think that's a pretty poor argument against this kind of game. It's very mmo-esque and what do you do in an MMO? The same shit over and over.

I didn't say I didn't play a ton of it -- my point was that you'll see all the content in a relatively short amount of time. Everydaygamer was suggesting there's 100 hours of original content in Taken King, which I think is patently false. It would be like saying Ghostbusters is fifty hours of content because you've seen it thirty times.
    With this kind of game it's all about finding things to do. For example I wanted to unlock the special weekly crucible bounties which at the time required completing a really long quest chain which meant spending many hours playing in the crucible.

The Playstation segment at E3 just showed the Destiny 2 trailer with a release date of September 6 instead of September 8. >.> Not sure if there's anything to take from that or if PS4 is getting it earlier than XB1 as well.

Also listed the PS4 exclusives; the usual Strike/PVP Map/Exotic and a ship.

edit: Link (at 1:42): https://youtu.be/GRxujNsWNiQ?t=104

edit2: Confirmed for a September 6 release on all consoles: https://twitter.com/thislukesmith/st...48818695151616
    Luke Smith‏
    @thislukesmith
    Destiny 2 will launch on all consoles September 6th.

Is the playstation exclusive content still a year long on the exclusive part? If it is, I wont bother with the PC version and will just get it on PS4 instead of Xbox this time around(which really fucking sucks, xbox had a more competitive community in the crucible).

https://twitter.com/theDestinyBlog/s...54977468481536

Well this is fucking bullshit. PC getting the shaft once again.

Destiny 2 coming to PC on October 24th. Over a month delay, fucking bullshit. Those raids BETTER NOT open before PC launch.

https://twitter.com/Blizzard_Ent/sta...55946499510276

will it be worth it to spend the extra $30 on the expansion pass?