Page 6 of 186 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
16
56
106
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Let's wait and see. They haven't made an MMO before
    Blizzard and Warcraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Blizzard and Warcraft.
    BioWare and SWTOR.

    There's no reason to automatically assume they can recreate the same success in a different genre. They're a pretty good developer (Halo is really their only huge claim to fame, Myth and Oni were both decent but not great) but that doesn't mean that all of their games are automatically good.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    BioWare and SWTOR.

    There's no reason to automatically assume they can recreate the same success in a different genre. They're a pretty good developer (Halo is really their only huge claim to fame, Myth and Oni were both decent but not great) but that doesn't mean that all of their games are automatically good.
    BioWare didn't have all of it's chips placed into Starwars like Bungie has had with Halo. And BioWare didn't get to build off a flagship like Blizzard did with Warcraft. While Destiny obviously isn't Halo, Bungie isn't stepping too far out of it's comfort zone with this game. I don't see anything but success for this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  4. #104
    Hope this game supports a keyboard/mouse setup. Competitive FPS PvP with a console controller = yuck.

  5. #105
    The Lightbringer Valarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wails
    Posts
    3,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Blizzard and Warcraft.
    Different companies, different times, different tech, different standards, different expectations. Any number of things can go wrong with it, and gamers these days have very high standards, sometimes unrealistically so.

    Bungie is not Blizzard is not BioWare is not Bethesda.

    Edit: To clarify by the way, I'm not saying it "will" fail nor do I want it to. I might even play it if I have the time and my 360 is still chugging along by then. I just don't get people who go insane hyping stuff up before they even get a demo.. A CGI trailer is just fluff.
    Last edited by Valarius; 2013-05-26 at 06:43 AM.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    BioWare didn't have all of it's chips placed into Starwars like Bungie has had with Halo. And BioWare didn't get to build off a flagship like Blizzard did with Warcraft. While Destiny obviously isn't Halo, Bungie isn't stepping too far out of it's comfort zone with this game. I don't see anything but success for this game.
    Star Wars or not, BioWare has made mistakes since the very beginning with their first MMO. I could make a list but I'm rather tired; TOR had too many bad ideas (or ideas executed poorly). If Destiny is being developed with terrible ideas already embedded...

    Aside from that, I do hope this game turns out well. Hell the background story is actually very interesting. I just don't want another game that devs ruin to make into an MMO. Hell I'm scared shitless for ESO.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    BioWare didn't have all of it's chips placed into Starwars like Bungie has had with Halo. And BioWare didn't get to build off a flagship like Blizzard did with Warcraft. While Destiny obviously isn't Halo, Bungie isn't stepping too far out of it's comfort zone with this game. I don't see anything but success for this game.
    Woah...not building off of a flagship? Star Wars is one of the most recognized and popular IP's in the West. Far more so than Warcraft. If anything, that makes it have a much broader appeal compared to if they were to base it off of something like Mass Effect.

    And while we haven't seen much, it's got a damn good chance of doing well based on the developer behind it and the funding they have with Activision. However that doesn't automatically mean that it's a success. There have been plenty of games made by good developers with tons of funding that have turned out poorly, or just mediocre.

  8. #108
    The Lightbringer Valarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wails
    Posts
    3,777
    What's the money-making model going to be by the way do we know?

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    I just don't get people who go insane hyping stuff up before they even get a demo.. A CGI trailer is just fluff.
    That CGI trailer was exceptionally lackluster. I'm not going off anything but a gut feeling at this point. I'm seeing Destiny the same way I saw WoW. I guess I've been stating my opinions as if they're facts and I apologize for that. But I honestly do see Bungie's track record on Halo and I can't help but draw the parallels between Blizzard delving into WoW and Bungie delving into Destiny.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-26 at 06:48 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Woah...not building off of a flagship? Star Wars is one of the most recognized and popular IP's in the West.
    Star Wars isn't BioWare's flagship, Mass Effect is. Moreso than Dragon Age or any other BioWare title. I feel like if they'd decided to a Mass Effect MMO instead, it would have been done A LOT better AND more successful than SWToR. It's not even about the funding, it's about the worlds they've created before, it's about their established IP's and how well they connect to what they're working on.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-05-26 at 06:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  10. #110
    The Lightbringer Valarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wails
    Posts
    3,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    That CGI trailer was exceptionally lackluster. I'm not going off anything but a gut feeling at this point. I'm seeing Destiny the same way I saw WoW. I guess I've been stating my opinions as if they're facts and I apologize for that. But I honestly do see Bungie's track record on Halo and I can't help but draw the parallels between Blizzard delving into WoW and Bungie delving into Destiny
    You don't have to apologise for being excited.. I guess I'm a bit jaded after trying every MMO to come around and 9 out of 10 of them being crap. Just important to keep in mind that they will be competing with already established FPS games and very large franchises such as CoD and Battlefield (regardless of being an MMO, both are FPS games and people only have so much time in a day) aswell as the whole genre not *really* seeing much innovation in recent years. There's only so much you can do with it, whereas when WoW came out they really opened up the genre to a more casual audience, then innovated and iterated to stay on top. I just don't think they can be compared.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    You don't have to apologise for being excited.. I guess I'm a bit jaded after trying every MMO to come around and 9 out of 10 of them being crap. Just important to keep in mind that they will be competing with already established FPS games and very large franchises such as CoD and Battlefield (regardless of being an MMO, both are FPS games and people only have so much time in a day) aswell as the whole genre not *really* seeing much innovation in recent years. There's only so much you can do with it, whereas when WoW came out they really opened up the genre to a more casual audience, then innovated and iterated to stay on top. I just don't think they can be compared.
    Destiny will be competing with CoD, Halo 5, Battlefield but to a lower extent; it's going to be providing a very different draw than the jump in and play style of those games. It'll be competing with the rather weakly established games Planetside and Firefall. And even then to a VERY low extent due to it being on the consoles. Destiny really is treading completely uncharted waters. There are no MMOFPS's on consoles. One way or another it WILL define a genre in a new medium.

    Bungie has created some of the most gorgeous open areas in their Halo games. They practically created online match making. They brought console FPS multiplayer to the forefront. They have too good of a background to fail. I'd go so far as to say that 343's Halo 4 would have been an absolute bust if Bungie hadn't given them the Halo formula; and that same Halo formula is going to be transferred to an MMOFPS.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-05-26 at 07:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  12. #112
    The Lightbringer Valarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wails
    Posts
    3,777
    It is competing with those games though, because at some point the gameplay is going to stagnate and "the best" way to play will be discovered. You'll have big cluster-fuck gun battles where it's hard to stand out as a good player/rack up a big body count (which is why people play FPS, most of them don't give a shit about their team unless they start losing) and you die instantly to bullet spray. Then what happens with the hardware rendering all of that? Are they going to make models fade out when it hits a 'cap'? Imagine how frustrating being killed by an invisible/lagging player would be. I'd rather play a tight traditional FPS where I can do well based off skill for an hour than one where I get hit by stray bullets in a messy teamfight that lags like hell when 100s of players are onscreen.

    Will Destiny have teams or factions? What happens if one is totally outnumbered, do you just get shit on? Is it a free-for-all... then how do you "win"?

    What's the cash model? Will they try to sell power?

    Point is, there's a lot of stuff that remains to be seen. PS2 is losing players because they have problems with zerg-battles, empty parts of the map, OP stuff, population imbalances, game running like crap in certain areas, stagnation of progression (as in once you unlock everything/level up, you're just killing "because") etc. There's nothing so far to indicate Bungie's solutions to those inevitable problems that will come up.
    Last edited by Valarius; 2013-05-26 at 07:25 AM.

  13. #113
    Have they said that the three classes will be the only ones at launch? Or will they be revealing more?

  14. #114

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    What's the cash model? Will they try to sell power?
    Six months later and with the release date, my perspective's changed a bit. EVERYONE seems to be moving more and more towards micro-transactions. I believe Bungie has alluded to a similar intent. I'd imagine the game will also have a monthly fee the same as Elder Scrolls.

    All I can say from these things is that these new games are DEFINITELY not marketed towards someone like me. I'm over having to pay monthly fees for games let alone having to pay for online membership for consoles ON TOP of those fees on top of the game value. The game can be insanely good but no game's worth that much frustration and money, not even WoW let alone a newcomer.

    I'm just hoping against hope that some primarily single-player games will try to keep away from day 1 DLC's and micro-transactions and forced internet connections (looking at you Konami and 343 studios). At least CD Projekt Red will remain a ray of hope in this cess pool of greed.

    I've also come to the most likely misguided conclusion that Destiny will basically be a first person Warframe.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-12-07 at 09:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Six months later and with the release date, my perspective's changed a bit. EVERYONE seems to be moving more and more towards micro-transactions. I believe Bungie has alluded to a similar intent. I'd imagine the game will also have a monthly fee the same as Elder Scrolls.

    All I can say from these things is that these new games are DEFINITELY not marketed towards someone like me. I'm over having to pay monthly fees for games let alone having to pay for online membership for consoles ON TOP of those fees on top of the game value. The game can be insanely good but no game's worth that much frustration and money, not even WoW let alone a newcomer.

    I'm just hoping against hope that some primarily single-player games will try to keep away from day 1 DLC's and micro-transactions and forced internet connections (looking at you Konami and 343 studios). At least CD Projekt Red will remain a ray of hope in this cess pool of greed.

    I've also come to the most likely misguided conclusion that Destiny will basically be a first person Warframe.
    No subscription but most likely microtranscations, but no info on that yet. And calling it Warframe is definitely misguided. We are talking about Bungie's biggest project. A 500+ dev team that spent 5+ years making the game.

    Game Informer will have a 14 page article about Destiny in their upcoming issue but a couple of Youtuber's broke down most of the info:

    Part 1



    Part 2 will probably be up later.

  17. #117
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Loaf Lord View Post
    Hope this game supports a keyboard/mouse setup. Competitive FPS PvP with a console controller = yuck.
    Hopefully there's no auto-aim so it's truly competitive. It's too easy with keyboard/mouse.


  18. #118
    Field Marshal Turismo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    58
    Just did some looking and there's an article on PC World stating that Bungie have no plans to release Destiny for PC as it would stretch them too thin. There you have it. Darn.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Turismo View Post
    Just did some looking and there's an article on PC World stating that Bungie have no plans to release Destiny for PC as it would stretch them too thin. There you have it. Darn.
    Yeah, they confirmed that a while ago. Super disappointing : (

  20. #120
    Brewmaster Xl House lX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Six months later and with the release date, my perspective's changed a bit. EVERYONE seems to be moving more and more towards micro-transactions. I believe Bungie has alluded to a similar intent. I'd imagine the game will also have a monthly fee the same as Elder Scrolls.

    All I can say from these things is that these new games are DEFINITELY not marketed towards someone like me. I'm over having to pay monthly fees for games let alone having to pay for online membership for consoles ON TOP of those fees on top of the game value. The game can be insanely good but no game's worth that much frustration and money, not even WoW let alone a newcomer.

    I'm just hoping against hope that some primarily single-player games will try to keep away from day 1 DLC's and micro-transactions and forced internet connections (looking at you Konami and 343 studios). At least CD Projekt Red will remain a ray of hope in this cess pool of greed.

    I've also come to the most likely misguided conclusion that Destiny will basically be a first person Warframe.
    Destiny won't have monthly fees, Bungie has said this themselves. Your knowledge and understanding of Destiny seems to be convoluted to say the least. I bet you also believe the game is a MMO as well. Take some time to look up the game, and then take a look at Bungie's history in making games and you'll see EXACTLY what Destiny is. It is a spiritual successor to Halo.
    Call me House.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •