Page 7 of 202 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
17
57
107
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    Destiny won't have monthly fees, Bungie has said this themselves. Your knowledge and understanding of Destiny seems to be convoluted to say the least. I bet you also believe the game is a MMO as well. Take some time to look up the game, and then take a look at Bungie's history in making games and you'll see EXACTLY what Destiny is. It is a spiritual successor to Halo.
    It does have a lot of MMO elements. It seems like a hybrid between games like Halo and MMO/RPGs. Almost like Borderlands on steroids:

    "When we look at a game like that, we look at the things they’re doing well and also at opportunities they might have missed that we can capitalize on," Staten said. "You can party up with a group of people and then go around with that group, but never in Borderlands are you going to collide with a group of other people doing it too. We don’t do that just once or twice in the game, we do that all the time, everywhere. You see other people on the horizon, hear gunfire over a hill and see space magic flying behind some trees, and you know… there are other people out here, that [changes everything]. Borderlands right now is: 'I'm going to walk into that space and we’re going to clear them out and keep going’. And frankly that’s not just Borderlands, that’s any co-op shooter."
    Last edited by Sharuko; 2013-12-08 at 02:46 AM.

  2. #122
    Warchief Solidito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,206
    I'm so pissed off with this tbh. The game looks amazing, it really does. But there's nothing more i hate than fps games on the consoles. I really frigging wish it was on the PC, i can't wait for a time when consoles are getting fucked over because games don't release on them.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    I bet you also believe the game is a MMO as well. Take some time to look up the game, and then take a look at Bungie's history in making games and you'll see EXACTLY what Destiny is. It is a spiritual successor to Halo.
    It's basically a MMO from what we've seen, or at least a psuedo MMO on a slightly smaller scale. They're just staying away from any messaging about MMO's because it will instantly put them in competition with Blizzard in peoples minds, and because MMO's don't have as broad of an appeal as a multiplayer co-op FPS game. It's primarily a PR/messaging thing from what I've seen, and not really something that's directly related to gameplay.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's primarily a PR/messaging thing
    Completely agree. Lot of games are staying away from the term "MMO" even though they clearly are an MMO, games like Star Citizen come to mind.

  5. #125
    Scarab Lord Loaf Lord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rue d'Auseil
    Posts
    4,559
    So I read somewhere that they have some sort of 10 year plan/contract with this game. So does that mean even if the game is still going strong 10 years from now they'll pull the plug?

  6. #126
    Field Marshal Turismo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    72
    If the game is strong 10 years from now then they would just continue. Why pull the plug on a successful game (whatever defines successful). They're just planning for 10 years worth of content for now. We have a whole galaxy to discover (potentially) this leaves the developers with lots of creative freedom and not to mention it's space... you can dream up anything to put into the game and it would be believable.

    Does anyone know if I pre-order the PS3 version, just go get access to beta for now, and then buy a PS4 later, could I upgrade to the PS4 version of Destiny or will I have to buy a new copy? Do you think Gamestop would just allow me to switch my purchase on Sept 9th?

  7. #127
    Brewmaster Pejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Turismo View Post
    If the game is strong 10 years from now then they would just continue. Why pull the plug on a successful game (whatever defines successful). They're just planning for 10 years worth of content for now. We have a whole galaxy to discover (potentially) this leaves the developers with lots of creative freedom and not to mention it's space... you can dream up anything to put into the game and it would be believable.

    Does anyone know if I pre-order the PS3 version, just go get access to beta for now, and then buy a PS4 later, could I upgrade to the PS4 version of Destiny or will I have to buy a new copy? Do you think Gamestop would just allow me to switch my purchase on Sept 9th?
    You're currently able to upgrade games to the PS4 version (think it is $10) but not sure how long that will be available.

  8. #128
    Field Marshal Turismo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    72
    Yeah. Don't imagine it'd last too much longer. Maybe if I pre-order it then cancel before release and snag the PS4 version when I get my PS4.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Loaf Lord View Post
    So I read somewhere that they have some sort of 10 year plan/contract with this game. So does that mean even if the game is still going strong 10 years from now they'll pull the plug?
    Every MMO/psuedo-MMO has a 5-10 year plan for content, and grand plans for delivering it quickly. None really live up to those grand plans : /

  10. #130
    After watching some gameplay I think I spotted something interesting.

    It looked like the bullet travel time was instant and didn't have much, perhaps any, ballistic drop. It could be that I was just watching a meh quality clip.

    However, that would free up a lot of server communication an AI. Anyone know how they calculate their projectiles?
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Silver Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    However, that would free up a lot of server communication an AI. Anyone know how they calculate their projectiles?
    I'd imagine that as with the vast majority of FPS games, it's hitscan.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    I'm so pissed off with this tbh. The game looks amazing, it really does. But there's nothing more i hate than fps games on the consoles. I really frigging wish it was on the PC, i can't wait for a time when consoles are getting fucked over because games don't release on them.
    There are games only for PC that are released all the time...there's far too much money in consoles for game developers not to target them.

  13. #133
    Scarab Lord Loaf Lord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rue d'Auseil
    Posts
    4,559
    After reading more about the game, I found out that Destiny won't be one game, but at least four games. Makes me wonder if our characters will transfer from game to game or if we have to start fresh with each new title released. Hopefully the former. Also makes me wonder if the fourth game will be the last or if four is just how many they have planned at the moment.

  14. #134
    Field Marshal Turismo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    72
    I imagine that's only what they have planned for now seeing as how they have plans for the next ten years. If the game is successful for them I'm sure they'd do more.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Loaf Lord View Post
    After reading more about the game, I found out that Destiny won't be one game, but at least four games. Makes me wonder if our characters will transfer from game to game or if we have to start fresh with each new title released. Hopefully the former. Also makes me wonder if the fourth game will be the last or if four is just how many they have planned at the moment.
    Yeah not only will it have 4 games but major DLC packs between those game releases. I am curious what they do with the new games, will it be like a typical MMO expansion or more like the Mass Effect series and how your "save" carried over.

  16. #136
    sorry to pull this out of the graveyard but a new videos came out, the game keeps sounding better and better.
    Just wondering why destiny doesn't seem to be coming out on PC.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeDaevD7cEo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHhEGJGWh4k
    Last edited by BigAssBoy; 2014-04-28 at 11:37 PM.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAssBoy View Post
    sorry to pull this out of the graveyard but a new videos came out, the game keeps sounding better and better.
    Just wondering why destiny doesn't seem to be coming out on PC.
    Ball is in activision's court there. Bungie isn't some massive studio, they are making the ps4 and xbox one versions only and that is stretching it for a studio that has traditionally only worked on 1 platform at a time. It's not like they can start working on a pc version after those are done either since it's a constantly evolving game that they need to make content for. Activision is out sourcing the ps3/360 ports, they will need to do the same for a PC port.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Bungie isn't some massive studio,
    As per their Linkedin page, they have between 201-500 employees, with 487 people currently claiming to be working at Bungie. That's a pretty big studio for only working on a single announced project.

  19. #139
    Brewmaster Pejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Posts
    1,287
    Yea, and they have the Hall title under their belt - they can be whatever the fuck they want to be. It is too bad that it'll only be coming to console, but that may change past initial release. Question: I haven't played any games that have micrograms actions other than downloadable DLC. Are there games with an interface for in-game purchases such as xp boosts? Trying to figure out what kind of money they'll be able to bring in, other than box cost.

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    As per their Linkedin page, they have between 201-500 employees, with 487 people currently claiming to be working at Bungie. That's a pretty big studio for only working on a single announced project.
    Of those 487, how many are temps being paid by activision to make sure the game is done in time? Probably closer to 50% then 25%.

    Bungie is about the size of Naughty Dog give or take, which only ever has 1 game in full production and for single platform. They also have small teams that work on ports, planning for future projects and the sony graphics api. That's not big for a studio producing a game on 4-5 platforms at once. Compare that to Ubisoft who at any given time has 1000s of people working on AC games, between the main studio and all the ones in asia handling the ports.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •