Poll: Demon Hunters: Yes or No?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Vanilla - ---- 6 ranged (DrHMaPSWk) 5 melee (DrPSRWa)
    BC - 0 new classes
    Wrath - 1 new melee class 6 ranged 6 melee (+Dk)
    Cata - 0 new classes
    MOP - 1 new melee class 6 ranged 7 melee (+Mo)

I'd expect no new classes for the next expansion, but if one would come, I'd expect a raged/caster one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Warlocks were also originally Unholy DKs.

That worked out fine.

But let's not turn this into a rehash of our previous spats over DH VS Tinkerer.
    Come on man. We both know that argument is BS. Warlocks had nothing to do with WC3 DKs, and their version of Death Coil was nothing like the Hero unit's version of DC that Death Knights were based on.

As for DHs, keep in mind that Blizzard has to make three distinct and viable specs from that concept and also make it distinctive from existing classes.

Again, there just isn't enough material to make a viable class for DHs without making it some joke of a class that has little to do with the DH everyone wants. And we all know the DH everyone wants. Its that bare-chested purple elf with a blindfold, slicing up demons with twin warglaives and torching mobs with self-immolation. This is why DH fanatics are so opposed to Warlocks getting a DH spec.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-02-13 at 05:29 PM.

Just my opinion here but: Demon Hunter without Warglaives may actually be stupider then Deathknights without a Runeblade.... Runemace indeed, /rolleyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    Just my opinion here but: Demon Hunter without Warglaives may actually be stupider then Deathknights without a Runeblade.... Runemace indeed, /rolleyes.
    The reason Monks got so many class quests was Blizz knew monks would want a transmog set like the NPCs wear. So the chain gives them various items for that (belts, weapons, pretty sure there was a hat...). Easy enough to give the DH a DH-like set through their starting zone (obviously they'd be a hero class). Which would include a set of warglaives, and a chestpiece that looks like tattoos.

Alternatively, give us warglaives as an actual weapon type along with 1h guns.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I have my doubts.

A new 'demon hunter' could bring in some of the other wc3 hero classes that haven't been explored on their own. Just a few ideas on what they could do to bring in some of those missing warcraft units

You could combine:
    Shadow hunter/Ranger/headhunter/berzerker units
    - dps/utility healing spec that uses "non auto-attack" thrown weapon attacks
    (Darkspears need their headhunters/berzerkers back as much as the Night Elves need their rangers)
    - combines shadow/nature magic with specialized attacks
    - access to AoE passive healing/dps auras once the character builds up X number of an attack self-buff
    (healing = nature / dps = shadow)
    - not a hunter
    [uses int/spirit leather]

Demon Hunter
    - dps spec / defensive raid utility
    - uses melee+ranged glaive attacks
    - can excise magic from demons/players to empower attacks (reduces victims magic attacks for short period)
    - has access to powerful defensive fel/arcane magic to protect raid/parties/self
    - doesn't metamorph into a demon (restricted to warlocks/Illidan who corrupted himself)
    [uses int/spirit plate]

Warden/Spell-Breaker
    - tank spec that use glaive weapons + int/spi shield/off-hand items
    - drains target of magical power for temporary stamina gains (reduced dps temporarily)
    - can channel magic vortex to drain % power from a party or raid to buff self-stamina
    - if you channel vortex too long (e.g. >10s) it will kill you (so players won't troll groups)
    [uses int/spirit plate]

Of course these would need to be built up to have a full set of abilities but these are a few I think they could base it on.
    Last edited by RAZIM; 2013-02-13 at 05:48 PM.

Deleted
    Personally I do not like the idea of demon hunters, the class more or less already in the game through talents, abilities and unique armor/weapons.

If I could choose a hero-class from the Warcraft 3 universe I would choose Mountain King, mainly because I am a huge fan of dwarves (though the chance of seeing a mountain king class is a snowballs chance in hell).

I kinda like the idea of the next class in WoW will be a class that uses intellect plate. No idea which kind of class fits that description as "Battle Mage" sounds rather lame and not very Warcraftish (thinking back to Warcraft 3 for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZIM View Post
    A new 'demon hunter' could bring in some of the other wc3 hero classes that haven't been explored on their own. Just a few ideas on what they could do to bring in some of those missing warcraft units

That's all well and good, but when you go that route, are you really creating a Demon Hunter class? And if you went that route, what would you call the entire class since you already called one spec "Demon Hunter"?

Wouldn't it just be easier to give Warlocks a 4th spec called Demon Hunter utilizing Dark Apotheosis and Metamorphosis? It would definitely make a lot more sense than throwing random WC3 heroes into a blender.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    nope never.

just ethereal as a race pl0z
    Neutral? Or for the Alliance with Ogres for the Horde?

Nope.

I believe that next expansion will probably be Naga/N'Zoth. Also I don't think there'll be a new class, it would be shuffling the balance deck too soon from the Monk introduction. I wouldn't mind it, it's just that the devs probably would, and they would prefer to let the current setup settle down a bit and refine it.

That said, if there's gonna be a new class it's gonna be something ranged. Melee is already crowded.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe not next expansion, but eventually.

Sure, their abilities are scattered across other classes. But that's 4 damn abilities. Blizzard created alot more for Death Knights, so why not the same for Demon Hunters?Another dumb argument is "they're just warlocks + rogues!". Paladins are just priests + warriors. That doesn't mean they aren't unique.

I don't think so because I don't think the theme of the next expansion will be demon/ burning legion based.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadiu View Post
    Maybe not next expansion, but eventually.

Sure, their abilities are scattered across other classes. But that's 4 damn abilities. Blizzard created alot more for Death Knights, so why not the same for Demon Hunters?Another dumb argument is "they're just warlocks + rogues!". Paladins are just priests + warriors. That doesn't mean they aren't unique.
    Those 4 abilities define what a Demon Hunter is though, so without them, we don't really have a Demon Hunter. It also doesn't help that the playstyle itself doesn't seem to add anything new to the game.

As for the Death Knight, Blizzard was able to add to the concept because the WC3 hero came from the Scourge faction in the game. All of the Scourge's heroes and units could be used in creating the class, since they shared the same theme.

Hey, you have a Death Knight hero unit that can raise the dead and manipulate corpses. Cool, we can have a spec that specializes in Necromancy.

Hey, we have Arthas as the master of the Frozen throne, and he wields Frostmorne, and he raises the DKs from death, so obviously they should have some frost powers. Oh and we had an Undead hero called a Lich that had some cool frost/undead abilities. Cool, we can have a spec that is based on frost magic.

Hey, we had an Undead melee hero who was like a Vampire and could drain enemies while healing himself and allies. Why not make a spec based around that?

Good luck doing the same for Demon Hunters. Their faction was full of nature magic which almost entirely went to Druids, and don't match up thematically with Demon Hunters at all.

Doubtful, though I do expect the next class they introduce to be a ranged type.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kisu View Post
    Doubtful, though I do expect the next class they introduce to be a ranged type.
    Give DH a spec that plays like in D3. There you go.

I fully expect it to be the next class, question is when that next class is added.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    If glyph of demon hunting is any hint, then warlocks will get a demon hunter spec. Possibly adding a 4th spec to classes (I'd love it but doubt it). Probably just new races tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    If glyph of demon hunting is any hint, then warlocks will get a demon hunter spec. Possibly adding a 4th spec to classes (I'd love it but doubt it). Probably just new races tbh.
    Well part of the reason I think 4th spec will be the major feature in the next expansion IS the glyph of Demon Hunting. I can't see Blizzard just dumping that entire playstyle. Not only is it VERY popular among Warlocks, but it is significantly different than the base Demonology spec which is also very popular among Warlocks. By that logic, if Warlocks are getting a 4th spec, you'll probably see every class getting one.

It would also allow Blizzard to avoid making a new class/race for the next expansion, and really change all the old classes for the better.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-02-13 at 09:19 PM.

Deleted
    Melee Warlocks with a 4th spec sounds a lot more reasonable. Because Demon Hunters as a class on their own dont really add anything to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would love to see Deamon Hunter, but don't think blizz will ever add them, despite the fact they fit to warcraft lore 10000X beter than monks and pandas

I think it's more likely to be a Warden class a bit like Maiev Shadowsong from the warcraft 3 campaign.

but probably not