1. #1

    Up to date Monk 1.07 build

    I'll be honest, I played Diablo for a month after it was released then stopped until last week. I have a Monk sitting on level 59, I tried playing it last night, and realised I have no idea how to build, or what item stats I should be going for on items. I know it seems a lot, but can someone give me a run down on what skills + runes I should be using or what builds are good at the moment.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany Sn0w View Post
    I'll be honest, I played Diablo for a month after it was released then stopped until last week. I have a Monk sitting on level 59, I tried playing it last night, and realised I have no idea how to build, or what item stats I should be going for on items. I know it seems a lot, but can someone give me a run down on what skills + runes I should be using or what builds are good at the moment.

    Thanks
    Obviously I won't write an essay about how to build a monk.
    But I can give you some hints.

    Tempest Rush build - is the most commonly used farming build. Its great because of insane running speed. Requires some money investments thou.. I guess at least 3-5 millions to start farming on mp0.
    Sweeping Wind build - most commonly used build overall. The simpliest build where you click with your mouse on things and they die. Good for hardcore as well.

    New patch made several new builds possible.
    Such as Wave of Light build. But there are more. Exploding palm build is pretty fun one.

    Now open google and search for build names I mentioned like this "diablo3 monk %buildname%". You'll get hundreds of articles about what skills to use and what gear to buy.

  3. #3
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,582
    Yeah, there's basically still two specs that people use. The Tempest Rush builds takes some money, including a good Stone of Jordan with high spirit regen, a good Inna's helm with high spirit regen, and four-piece Inna's set. As well as a good Skron with zero attack speed, and probably new gear since you want attack speed usually as a monk.

    The basic cookie-cutter spec is still relatively the same. Here's what I use. As Traen mentioned, a couple things become available now with the damage buff. I like Explosive Light because of its area, and I really don't like Exploding Palm, for the same reason. Overawe is still streets ahead of every other mantra, unless you're playing heavy defense (in which case, Evasion/Hard Target still provides the most defensive stats). The patch buffed a few abilities, but not all the ones that needed a buff or change, and One With Everything is still necessary and screws up your gearing. You can switch Fleet-Footed too if you need more defense. It all comes down to what your gear is like and how much MP you want to farm. with this spec I can blow through MP2 Act 3 with mediocre/above-average gear. I suggest getting four-piece Inna's pretty quickly with any setup using Sweeping Wind though. 75 Spirit is way too much to have to reset constantly, because it doesn't last long enough to not drop off between fights.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  4. #4
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I suggest getting four-piece Inna's pretty quickly with any setup using Sweeping Wind though. 75 Spirit is way too much to have to reset constantly, because it doesn't last long enough to not drop off between fights.
    Well...that's really debatable. If sweeping wind is dropping off then you don't have enough movement speed, or damage, or are playing on too high or low a monster power(having to flee too much or things dying too fast).

    I use only use 2pc Inna atm and I don't have any problems with sweeping wind dropping unless I'm playing in a group. Also, you have to learn to use barrels as free teleport, sweeping wind refreshers. If you farm in A3, you shoudn't have any problems with this. It's all about constantly punching something in the face.
    BAD WOLF

  5. #5
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Well...that's really debatable. If sweeping wind is dropping off then you don't have enough movement speed, or damage, or are playing on too high or low a monster power(having to flee too much or things dying too fast).

    I use only use 2pc Inna atm and I don't have any problems with sweeping wind dropping unless I'm playing in a group. Also, you have to learn to use barrels as free teleport, sweeping wind refreshers. If you farm in A3, you shoudn't have any problems with this. It's all about constantly punching something in the face.
    Stopping for two seconds to pick up items means it drops off constantly.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  6. #6
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Stopping for two seconds to pick up items means it drops off constantly.
    I've never had a problem with it. I don't tend to run miles away from the loot or get out of combat for very long. I just haven't had a problem. I'm not trying to argue with you, but I'm offering that I don't experience the same issue so it seems like it's tied more to playstyle and not to the actual abilities or gear. And yes, I pick up all the yellows, health potions, and tomes.

    So with that being said, I was simply giving a different perspective as possibly the advice wouldn't be the best for everyone. I think you can maximize your dmg and speed easier/better than going for 4pc inna. Just my opinion.
    BAD WOLF

  7. #7
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I've never had a problem with it. I don't tend to run miles away from the loot or get out of combat for very long. I just haven't had a problem. I'm not trying to argue with you, but I'm offering that I don't experience the same issue so it seems like it's tied more to playstyle and not to the actual abilities or gear. And yes, I pick up all the yellows, health potions, and tomes.

    So with that being said, I was simply giving a different perspective as possibly the advice wouldn't be the best for everyone. I think you can maximize your dmg and speed easier/better than going for 4pc inna. Just my opinion.
    I would drop the belt and chest in a heartbeat if Sweeping Wind wasn't 75 spirit (or not necessary). I'd use Master of Wind if Cyclone wasn't such a damage bonus. 20 second duration. Which, makes me wonder why the base duration is still six seconds.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  8. #8
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Which, makes me wonder why the base duration is still six seconds.
    We all have lots of wonders with this game. But for every common sense/great idea we have, the forum crazies have 20 more. Unfortunately it makes them kinda wash most of our feedback out. In most cases I would say that's for the best. With this game? Idk.
    BAD WOLF

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •