Page 1 of 2
LastLast

School project about china

Our teacher handed us an assignment where we're supposed write an essay and in addition to that prepair a presentation in front of 200 students at the end of this project. We're going to work with a nation and write about how their society, how it began, how it is and how it will be. We're working with China so I need all the information I can get? Do you perhaps know some information that I most likely won't find easily?

Deleted
    In china they eat dogs :O

If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I'd recommend doing a lot of research, because China is a very complex country, with a lot of differing social attitudes.

I know from personal experience (Although, it didn't happen to me directly) that their business ethos is very brutal. They've been known to get people drunk or drugged up, have them sleep with underage women, and then photograph it so they can blackmail them.

They have no scruples and whatever they need to do to win, they will do it. They've got a mentality to win, there is no losing especially within Business. If they have to take a few punches, to get the knockout blow, they will, and this mentality I have found is in almost every Chinese national. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who isn't working to improve themselves, and their country.

While the vast majority of China has evolved and moved on with the times, there is still a great and deep respect and honour for family, and doing what is best for your family. That said, social status is also very important in China. While being honourable to your family is important, what your family is, and what they do is just as important. If your family are a bunch of farmers in the fields, or factory workers, many places (Hotels, Restaurants, etc...) wouldn't let you in.

They've been working hard over the last few years to overcome their limitations, their issues and restrictions. They've grown at such an exponential rate, that if it continues (which, while it has slowed down, it is still growing rapidly) their economy, military might and international influence would surpass the U.S. & Europe, combined...
    Last edited by Hyve; 2013-02-13 at 10:02 AM.

Deleted
    Maybe you can write something about the past and present?
    Footbinding used to be done in China as small feet were seen as something beautiful. Though the process is quite horrifying and the result too.
    Its illegal now though! But iirc it still happens underground (appearently) around the less modern people

As someone who lives here, I'll throw out some hot topics.

Government Corruption
    Social media regulation
    Government control over churches (leading to secret ones in households)
    Disparity between foreign men dating Chinese women (common) and Chinese men dating foreign women (fucking rare)
    Government brainwashing into believing China has the best quality of life in the world (the media here only reports negative foreign events)
    The ability to commit homicide and other horrible crimes and escape with no punishment due to money (you choose compensation or justice really)
    Sanctioned protests about the Diayou Islands (aka the $$$$$ islands)
    Birth Tourism and the easy circumvention of the one child policy
    The shrinking middle class and ever rising housing prices (the bubble will burst)
    Lack of jobs for the hordes of graduating college students and the construction of ghost cities
    China's numerous land disputes with nearly every country in south east asia
    China's backing of North Korea to counter America in South Korea
    Lack of environmental regulation leading to a horribly polluted country. I wash my veggies with bottled water. Oh, and all the shit they inject into food. Look up exploding Guangzhou watermelons.
    Last edited by iggie; 2013-02-13 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Very interesting, I definitely didn't expect that.

I'll assume that you're in high school and not in college so just use wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    I'll assume that you're in high school and not in college so just use wikipedia.
    Yep I'm in high school. First of all Wikipedia is just one source, unfortunately in Sweden this would get me an F becuase my conclusions would essentially be based on another mans work and nothing of what I would write or tell would be from me. You need more perspectives.

Deleted
    its got a large population! and a big wall!

I could write an entire paper just using this one source! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I could write an entire paper just using this one source! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China
    Yes, but you would get an F in my case.

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 10:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    I see what you did there

Nothing wrong with Wikipedia. It often has very solid information.

Nothing wrong with Wikipedia. It often has very solid information.
    Did you even read what I wrote up there? I want information that I cannot easily find. Wikipedia is not an impressive source and is not enough to get me anything else but an F becuase I need more sources... Did you guys go in some school in an african cave or what?

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 10:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    TOO MUCH INFO! I can't keep up, slower please.

Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    Did you even read what I wrote up there? I want information that I cannot easily find. Wikipedia is not an impressive source and is not enough to get me anything else but an F becuase I need more sources... Did you guys go in some school in an african cave or what?
    There are over 400 cited sources on that Wikipedia for China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try using Google Scholar? That might have some things for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Try using Google Scholar? That might have some things for you.
    Never heard of that tyvm!

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 10:51 PM ----------

There are over 400 cited sources on that Wikipedia for China.
    Yeah true that I could use them.
    Last edited by Senathor; 2013-02-14 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of that tyvm!
    Just a bit of advance warning. Sometimes the articles in it do require a membership. I got an out from using college based computers (since most of the sites have partnerships with the schools here). I'm not sure if your high school has one, and if it does, you may have to use their computers to do the job.

Still, if you can get it working, that will serve you well here and in college.

Just a bit of advance warning. Sometimes the articles in it do require a membership. I got an out from using college based computers (since most of the sites have partnerships with the schools here). I'm not sure if your high school has one, and if it does, you may have to use their computers to do the job.

This is one of my major problems with just Google scholars. If you're not using your school computers it can be a nightmare. A lot of the time they want you to buy into their sites.

Allright, yeah it might be really good for the future indeed.