Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Need some weight loss advice

    Ok, I'm 31, 6'3 (190cm) tall, and overweight. My weight fluctuates, but I've got a lot of pounds to lose.

    My question is, should I do aerobic first to burn some fat, or should I start the weights as well and alternate them (2 days cardio, 2 days weights)?

    I'm working on changing my diet, thinking of just going for a simple lean meats and vegetables. I read that you should eat 1g of protein for every pound you weigh, but in my case that would be at least a couple hundred grams a day unless I'm wrong in how much to consume.

    I guess I'm just wondering if there's any solid beginning advice. I have a long way to go, but I wanna go from the big overweight guy to the big, healthy, muscular guy. First for my own health, and second because my fiancee left me last year and I want to expand on my dating options. Is there an upper or lower limit I should be looking to lose every week or month? Is this even going to be doable to achieve before I'm 35 or 36?

    I'm a little worried if I'm too old to really get myself into great shape now, to be honest. 31's not old, I know, but it's also not 19 or 20.

  2. #2
    3 rules that fit anyone anywheer
    Stop all junk food forever
    Don`t eat 4 hours before you go to bed
    Close your mouth outside of your 3 meals (snaking diets 6 times a day type of diets only work under strick control from a nutritionist)

    And if you can exercise or sweat in a sauna...you`re golden
    Cardio is your friend, pools too they dont harm your body
    My lines are so potent that in this segment i made all of the ladies in the first 3 comments pregnant!

  3. #3
    Well a combination of cardio/weights can help and if you combine it with a diet you ll see extremely fast results. Basically try to work out 3-4 times per week, and stop eating anything but fruits after 5-6 pm and until you sleep. Age isn't that much of a factor tbh its the lifestyle that makes us gain weight as we age mostly.

    I would suggest weights Monday/Wednesday/Friday for example with running on Tuesdays and Thursdays (if you feel tired of energy starved take a day off in there). Relax on the weekends but keep the diet strict until you reach your goal.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    3 rules that fit anyone anywheer
    Stop all junk food forever
    Don`t eat 4 hours before you go to bed
    Close your mouth outside of your 3 meals (snaking diets 6 times a day type of diets only work under strick control from a nutritionist)

    And if you can exercise or sweat in a sauna...you`re golden
    Cardio is your friend, pools too they dont harm your body
    What is this, i dont even....

  5. #5
    Losing weight is.. 90% diet. You train to lose weight, turn fat into muscle etc so you don't just become flabby and skinny once you've dropped the weight.

    Anyway, drop junk food, and start worrying about how much energy is in what you do eat. You'll be surprised at some of the stuff you consider healthy. And sure, a lot of it is healthy, it's just also stuffed with calories.

    This site helped me keep track last time I wanted to lose weight. It's not perfect, but it helps rather than having a piece of paper somewhere or keeping it all in your head. http://cronometer.com/

  6. #6
    Over 9000! Hyve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    9,570
    The first and most important thing to do, is to sit down with yourself and re-programe your mind.

    All of your issues are because you've not had control over yourself, because you were a person who got overweight. We've all seen it (and done it) in our lives where we try to diet, or have a new years resolution, but it fails within a few weeks because you've not changed who you are.

    One of the key things for me, was dropping drinking Sugary Drinks. I used to drink loads of Dr Pepper & Coca-Cola, but I changed mentally the person I am.

    I just programmed myself to be the person that doesn't drink them. I didn't force myself, I just made it so I am not the type of person that drinks it. The same goes for all food, just become a healthy person mentally, and it'll happen automatically, because a healthy person doesn't eat plenty of junk food and cakes.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 11:29 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    What is this, i dont even....
    The reason it is called Breakfast is because you're Breaking your Fast. You're meant to fast your body in your sleep, let your body consume all the resources it can, make repairs, heal and regenerate, and in the morning you replenish your body with the right fuel.

  7. #7
    Change the way you eat. What you eat, how much you eat. That's the most important part of losing weight.

    Start cardio. Start with running or biking, but start slowly. You can't throw yourself into everything 100% from the beginning, it's how you injure yourself.
    Start weight training. Weight training is rather obvious, you want to work out and build muscle. You should get your one rep maximum and then lift 85% of that weight as a workout. Do your big three workouts. Bench, Squat, Deadlift. There are variations of those that you will want to start doing when you get out of this "beginner" stage. Don't really need to post those here, but when you get out of this beginner stage, you'll have fun planning workouts and whatnot.
    Remember: your core is the most important part of your body. Every lift goes through your core, every exercise involves your core. It's your lifeblood.
    Core is everything from hips to shoulders. Butt, back, abs, chest, shoulders. That's the biggest muscle group you want to work on while you're losing weight and trying to gain mass. It needs to be strong before you work on anything else.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 05:36 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    The first and most important thing to do, is to sit down with yourself and re-programe your mind.

    All of your issues are because you've not had control over yourself, because you were a person who got overweight. We've all seen it (and done it) in our lives where we try to diet, or have a new years resolution, but it fails within a few weeks because you've not changed who you are.

    One of the key things for me, was dropping drinking Sugary Drinks. I used to drink loads of Dr Pepper & Coca-Cola, but I changed mentally the person I am.

    I just programmed myself to be the person that doesn't drink them. I didn't force myself, I just made it so I am not the type of person that drinks it. The same goes for all food, just become a healthy person mentally, and it'll happen automatically, because a healthy person doesn't eat plenty of junk food and cakes.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 11:29 AM ----------



    The reason it is called Breakfast is because you're Breaking your Fast. You're meant to fast your body in your sleep, let your body consume all the resources it can, make repairs, heal and regenerate, and in the morning you replenish your body with the right fuel.

    What he was saying is "don't eat 4 hours before you sleep" is nonsense. It's a myth and it's a silly one at that.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    What is this, i dont even....
    i would explain it to you but since you replied with a typical "Hip" and edgy answer i won`t bother.
    Google the subject
    My lines are so potent that in this segment i made all of the ladies in the first 3 comments pregnant!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Losing weight is.. 90% diet. You train to lose weight, turn fat into muscle etc so you don't just become flabby and skinny once you've dropped the weight.

    Anyway, drop junk food, and start worrying about how much energy is in what you do eat. You'll be surprised at some of the stuff you consider healthy. And sure, a lot of it is healthy, it's just also stuffed with calories.

    This site helped me keep track last time I wanted to lose weight. It's not perfect, but it helps rather than having a piece of paper somewhere or keeping it all in your head. http://cronometer.com/
    You cant turn fat into muscle, you can lose fat and then build muscle, but the muscle you build on a deficit is slim to non

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 02:33 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    i would explain it to you but since you replied with a typical "Hip" and edgy answer i won`t bother.
    Google the subject
    No i wont google the subject since you are wrong.
    It doesnt matter at what time you eat or how many times a day you eat.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    You cant turn fat into muscle, you can lose fat and then build muscle, but the muscle you build on a deficit is slim to non

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 02:33 PM ----------



    No i wont google the subject since you are wrong.
    It doesnt matter at what time you eat or how many times a day you eat.
    yes it does matter.
    If you eat anything 1/2 hours or 15 mins etc before you go to bed your body will absorve it all, fully unchained and dreadfully efficiently whilst you sleep.
    And a guy that is overweight will not eat fruit or vegetables the dude will surely fix himself a sandwich or cake or icecream or whatever
    My lines are so potent that in this segment i made all of the ladies in the first 3 comments pregnant!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    yes it does matter.
    If you eat anything 1/2 hours or 15 mins etc before you go to bed your body will absorve it all, fully unchained and dreadfully efficiently whilst you sleep.
    And a guy that is overweight will not eat fruit or vegetables the dude will surely fix himself a sandwich or cake or icecream or whatever
    It doesnt matter when you eat or how many times you eat. Stop living in the past. Its a myth.
    Do over, do it right.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    It doesnt matter when you eat or how many times you eat. Stop living in the past. Its a myth.
    Do over, do it right.
    ye right.
    Go work out and have desert everyday right before you go to bed and see how that works out for ya
    My lines are so potent that in this segment i made all of the ladies in the first 3 comments pregnant!

  13. #13
    dude, i'm 31, 6'2 and was fairly overweight

    in january, i started this new diet fad thats been going on in the uk, essentially, you fast 2 days a week (pick whichever days suit you best).

    on your fasting days, you're allowed up to 600calories for guys, 500 for girls.

    i lost a stone in a month - the rest of the week, when not fasting, you can pretty much eat whatever you want - however, try to stick to a sensible diet, so for example dont go crazy on the take out on days you can eat. besides which, fasting for a day will shrink your stomach anyways, so the next day you'll fill up quicker.

    dunno if you'll try it, but it might be something to get you started, as intially, the weight will just fall off, then you can start on your exercise regime when you have a little less to throw around.

    also, another mitigating factor is eating breakfast. especially on fast days, oats or wheat (quaker oats, or weetabix) for breakfast will see you through til lunch, then a small lunch will see you through to the end of the day - if you need to snack, eat fruit. i was in the really bad habit of never eating breakfast, then having huge meals in the evening - whereas having breakfast and eating smaller meals in the evening, is much better.
    Last edited by smokii; 2013-02-13 at 02:30 PM.
    <insert witty signature here>

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    dude, i'm 31, 6'2 and was fairly overweight

    in january, i started this new diet fad thats been going on in the uk, essentially, you fast 2 days a week (pick whichever days suit you best).

    on your fasting days, you're allowed up to 600calories for guys, 500 for girls.

    i lost a stone in a month - the rest of the week, when not fasting, you can pretty much eat whatever you want - however, try to stick to a sensible diet, so for example dont go crazy on the take out on days you can eat. besides which, fasting for a day will shrink your stomach anyways, so the next day you'll fill up quicker.

    dunno if you'll try it, but it might be something to get you started, as intially, the weight will just fall off, then you can start on your exercise regime when you have a little less to throw around.

    also, another mitigating factor is eating breakfast. especially on fast days, oats or wheat (quaker oats, or weetabix) for breakfast will see you through til lunch, then a small lunch will see you through to the end of the day - if you need to snack, eat fruit. i was in the really bad habit of never eating breakfast, then having huge meals in the evening - whereas having breakfast and eating smaller meals in the evening, is much better.
    If its a complete fasting day, then its not fasting if you eat calories.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    If its a complete fasting day, then its not fasting if you eat calories.
    it's not though - it's not like a religious fasting day, it's more of a low calorie intake day.
    <insert witty signature here>

  16. #16
    Put down the fork.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    it's not though - it's not like a religious fasting day, it's more of a low calorie intake day.
    Can just do intermittent fasting every day then.
    16 hour fast and 8 hour eating window.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    It doesnt matter when you eat or how many times you eat. Stop living in the past. Its a myth.
    Do over, do it right.
    Its not a myth, but depends alot on what you eat.
    If you eat carbs then yes, it does matter, because if you dont use your carbs, it ends up as fat when your body absorbs it during the night.
    But you can however eat proteins in the evening if you are hungry.

    And it also does matter how many times you eat, eating often and in small doses gives you a more even blood sugar level wich increases your fat-burn rate.

    Regarding the topic at hand, how to loose weight, dont over do it in the start.
    A big mistake many do is to start out exercising 5-6 times/week, go for it a few weeks and then get tired of it/gets an injury due to overexhaustion.

    So my advice is, begin with 1-2 days/week weight training, 1-2 days cardio, and take a walk for an hour or so for the rest of the days except one.
    Allways have atleast 1 day with complete rest.

    Regarding what you eat, lay of the candy, soda and the like.
    Keep your diet concisted mainly of protein and vegetables.
    If u want to eat carbs, do it from the morning or before/after your workout sessions, thats the time you can use it the most effectivly.

    And its never to late to start, but the older you get, the more time and effort you have to put into it.
    Good luck!

  19. #19
    I am Murloc! Fenixdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,909
    One thing that has really helped me is changing my liquid intake. I used to drink sodas and stuff, but now all I drink is water or tea (with a coffee once every two weeks and a soda once a month).

    Without any other major changes in my diet or lifestyle, I found I lost about ten pounds in three months. Since then I've been decreasing my food intake, which helps me to maintain better. At some point into the future I'll start to get into some sort of exercise again, which should help get rid of the rest.

  20. #20
    low carb diet my friend, its all you need

    also, using smaller cuttlery helps you enjoy smaller meals longer and gives you a satisfied feeling sooner.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •