Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Is Wrathion evil?

Guy is just sitting in the tavern, chilling, telling everyone what to do. To Horde he tells 'you're a hero, go kill Alliance', to Alliance - 'you are hero go kill Horde'. The inspiration I believe comes from the old western movie Fistful of Dollars where a guy comes to town, stays in the tavern and plays the middle between two warring families. His goal - to destroy them both. Wrathion's goal must be something along those lines - make Horde and Alliance destroy themselves then come out on top.

He gives us some powerful items, but mere trinkets for him.

To me, it is painfully obvious no one should have any business with this guy. Both the Horde and the Alliance are stupid for doing his bidding.

Even in the case he is not evil, he is not a friend of neither Horde nor Alliance, but he has his own personal agenda.
    Bigger than Life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe he's making us do all of this to end the fight between Ally/Horde sooner, so we have time to unite and prepare for the Legion or whatever those raining comets referred to. While not exactly "good", I don't think he's evil. He just uses questionable methods.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    in this case, it's more of a case of gameplay versus lore. Wrathion wants an united azeroth against the invasion that's coming, like what happened in Warcraft 3. however, with Garrosh and Varian, you're not likely to have that, since both of these want to see the other race dead for atrocities commited to their brethren.

So I think that we're going to see new leaders at the top, that can broker at least some kind of truce until the invasion is passed. And Wrathion will likely be the person to start that truce.

edit: he is chaotic good: he wants to achieve the right things, but at whatever the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Djolisimo View Post
    Guy is just sitting in the tavern, chilling, telling everyone what to do. To Horde he tells 'you're a hero, go kill Alliance', to Alliance - 'you are hero go kill Horde'. The inspiration I believe comes from the old western movie Fistful of Dollars where a guy comes to town, stays in the tavern and plays the middle between two warring families. His goal - to destroy them both. Wrathion's goal must be something along those lines - make Horde and Alliance destroy themselves then come out on top.

He gives us some powerful items, but mere trinkets for him.

To me, it is painfully obvious no one should have any business with this guy. Both the Horde and the Alliance are stupid for doing his bidding.

Even in the case he is not evil, he is not a friend of neither Horde nor Alliance, but he has his own personal agenda.
    Not sure if the Horde or Alliance are stupid. Sofar I see him asking only me - the character - to help him in some way. And while it might seem stupid to accept quests from him (I sure as hell wouldn't want to be involved with him), they give me a lot of power to help me in my goals to down bosses. So if I would not do his quests out of principle, I'd be gimping myself in game. Cause no matter what I would do, Wrathion's storyline would continue anyway. That is the way of the game.

As a paladin, I'd probably would have given the location of him to Varian and let him deal with this upstart Dragon.

Deleted
    I'm convinced he's evil. Just like Bolvar.

Blizzard wants to offer us powerful enemies, but they don't want their race/faction extinct because we need to have something to fight in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    "A change of leadership" implies he feels that both current "faction generals" in Krasarang are not ones to negotiate. The orc leader is too much like Garrosh, while the dwarf leader is blinded, driven by vengeance for the death of his son.

He's not sending us to kill them to ignite the war further, he's sending us to take unfavorable pieces out of his equation. He's playing a long-running game of chess, which is something of a recurring theme in the world of Warcraft.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Deleted
    I like this theory, but that wouldn't make him evil; just like the man with no name isn't evil. No more so than the Rojos or the Baxters, at least.

However I suspect Blizzard isn't hatching a clever Yojimbo-esque plot, but rather being lazy with delivering faction-mutual gameplay via the same NPC and premise.

Either way, thumbs up for referencing one of my all time favourite films; "You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it."

Quote Originally Posted by Djolisimo View Post
    Technically they're not. Not the leadership anyway: it's all only been us, the individual heroes, seeking him out and getting his help. It's only in 5.2 when Anduin and Wrathion will apparently start talking, that there's actually any official 'alliance' between Wrathion and one of the factions. And even then, they could just be talking.

At any rate, it's one of those 'we need your help, you need ours' kind of deals. It's not like we trust him, but he's helping us so it works out. He's got his own plans and I REALLY hope he doesn't just become another raid boss. I hope he stays as this outside force, working for his own goals but offering assistance when it suits him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I'm convinced he's evil. Just like Bolvar.
    Woah, touchy subject

Deleted
    I believe the term is either "Chaotic Neutral" or "Chaotic Good"?

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I know of him in-game (having done every quest involving him since his egghood, and Fangs) he is not evil.

HOWEVER, Blizzard has been ham-handing around the ol' "IS THIS GUY REALLY LOOKING OUT FOR EVERYONES BEST INTEREST!???! HMMMMMMM!??????" crap that they use to subtly hint at an upcoming villain ... so who knows?

From the recent Pandaria quests, I don't really think he is playing the sides against each other. I think what we are seeing is classic Warcraft RTS storytelling, where both sides see the same general storyline so they can feel like the hero - though in the lore, one side is definitively going to be seen as the "hero" of the questline. I am of course referring to Warcraft and War2, not War3 for the purpose of this argument.

As for Anduin 'teaming up' with Wrathion, I don't want to spoil anything for anyone that doesn't know, but he is there to basically do the same thing he tried to do with the Divine Bell.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    he is chaotic good: he wants to achieve the right things, but at whatever the cost.
    "Chaotic Neutral"
    That is what I think too. He is not really "evil", I really think that he does want to preserve and protect Azeroth (unlike his father did), but I guess he also has other goals and probably wants to establish himself as an important figure in the Azeroth to come.
    Anyways he will do whatever it takes to accomplish his goals probably without scruples, so he is not really "good".
    I do think by the way, that he sees and uses Horde and Alliance (and the playercharacter) as expendable pawns.

Just finish off the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Not sure if the Horde or Alliance are stupid. Sofar I see him asking only me - the character - to help him in some way. And while it might seem stupid to accept quests from him (I sure as hell wouldn't want to be involved with him), they give me a lot of power to help me in my goals to down bosses. So if I would not do his quests out of principle, I'd be gimping myself in game. Cause no matter what I would do, Wrathion's storyline would continue anyway. That is the way of the game.

As a paladin, I'd probably would have given the location of him to Varian and let him deal with this upstart Dragon.
    The thing is, this game is not very creative to make your own storyline, Blizzard made one for you, and thats the one your playing. Then, it's up to you to choose if you want the story told 100%, or if you can live with missing out on parts of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wushka View Post
    I believe the term is either "Chaotic Neutral" or "Chaotic Good"?
    No, he's clearly chaotic evil. He has no plans, he's just making Alliance and Horde kill eachother just because he can. Isn't that a scarier thought? I mean, he's clearly duplicitous and two faced telling you regardless of faction that yours has his full support, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw his whelp form.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2013-02-13 at 02:05 PM.

Deleted
    Not as evil as many players are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Woah, touchy subject
    Idd, I quite like Bolvar, though atm he's a bit...retired and chilling.

I dont like Wrathion. Starting with his hat and ending with the bullshit he serves me.

Thanks for responses guys, some very interesting points to take into consideration.
    Bigger than Life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphiramoon View Post
    Idd, I quite like Bolvar, though atm he's a bit...retired and chilling.

I dont like Wrathion. Starting with his hat and ending with the bullshit he serves me.
    What's wrong with his hat? o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    What's wrong with his hat? o.O
    Everything from size to model.