Guildies who never seem to leave main cities

Hey guys, i'm sure it's not just my guild... but I notice this unusual trend in my guild. Where people login all day, but whenever you look in the guild list they are always in Stormwind/Shrine. Literally all day every day. I have one guild mate who logs in. Then does nothing all day but stand on the stormwind bank steps dancing naked...

Which makes me wonder, what exactly are they doing all day? They never talk in guild chat or reply when you directly ask them a question in guild, they don't post in trade either. Yet if I try to search for them in town I can never seem to find them... but if you do a /who it clearly says they're online so it's not a bugged guild roster. Another thing I notice about a couple in my guild is even though the only time they seem to move out of the city is raid time they always have tonnes of gold...

Does anyone else notice this with their guild? do they do it themselves? what exactly do people who don't seem to leave town but are almost always logged in do all day?? Is it the sign of someone botting?

I've always wondered and now it's starting to bug me as I'd love to know! lol
    Last edited by Anastara; 2013-02-13 at 01:20 PM.

Alt tab out to do other stuff, but like to be logged on just in case anything happens. Or to chat with friends.

WoW isn't the only thing you can do on a PC!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    You got a chinese bot infestation
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Alt tab out to do other stuff, but like to be logged on just in case anything happens. Or to chat with friends.

Yeah I suppose so... but it seems rather pointless to be alt tabbed out of the game and surfing the internet. If i'm not playing I just log out. Then again i'm not a social butterfly (or a wannabe) that keeps logged in all day hoping someone will PST me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    You got a chinese bot infestation
    Is... is that something an exterminator can deal with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Tab out reading these very forums, or talking to other friends they have that aren't in your guild.

Well, they can perhaps be AH bots, I've heard about those. Stay close to an AH all day, buy cheap and sell for a profit, scanning AH all day long.
    Or they can be playing the AH manually, I did this before and its a easy way to gain gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    I play on 2 screens, I'm usually doing something on the other. I have WoW open incase I notice that someone needs me for something, or someone is organizing something I'd like to participate in.

It's also a glorified chat feature. I do give it that.

It's not uncommon for my guilds PvP team to be sitting behind the Orgrimmar Main AH for hours at a time when queuing or waiting for others to turn up.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    If they aren't bots, these are the players that bitch and moan at how bored they are. They literally sit there all day AFK in the city, doing nothing, just staring at the screen, then tab to MMO Champion to right a QQ post. Then they tab back and continue the cycle. Instead of doing dailies for like an hour then log off, they choose to make themselves bored.

WoW is 90% chatroom, 10% raiding/pvp/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post

^This. Most people just stand around waiting for something to happen most of the time.

Though, I do see the same people who are logged on for hours on end who are jumping around all day. Sometimes I'll log on when I get home and a few hours later, and see the same person jumping from one side of the shrine to the other...it's very strange to say the least.

I had a realid friend that did use a bot, I noticed one of his low level characters got stuck in Durotar for most part of the day, it turns out that sometimes bot software requires actual user input and run better when wow is windowed else it fails because of blah blah blah.
    I know if I'm afk for more than 15-40 mins (not sure how long actually) when I return to my pc I've been logged out the world.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 01:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    If they aren't bots, these are the players that bitch and moan at how bored they are. They literally sit there all day AFK in the city, doing nothing, just staring at the screen, then tab to MMO Champion to right a QQ post. Then they tab back and continue the cycle. Instead of doing dailies for like an hour then log off, they choose to make themselves bored.
    This is probably true, funny :P

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 01:43 PM ----------

hmmm I think I just did my first double post, dont see anywhere on the websire to submit bugs and steps to replicate ...

waiting for queue, and missing it because you alt-tab.

Deleted
    Tell them that there exist other citys as well, such as Ironforge, Exodar and Dalaran. Seriously, those citys are way too deserted despite Cataclysm portals being irrelevant.

They are probably tab out. There are points where I'm log on for hours at a time but surfing the web.

I'd leave the guild.

I noticed the same thing, but I quit the game after realizing how boring the game really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastara View Post
    Yeah I suppose so... but it seems rather pointless to be alt tabbed out of the game and surfing the internet. If i'm not playing I just log out. Then again i'm not a social butterfly (or a wannabe) that keeps logged in all day hoping someone will PST me
    It's not so much that. People could be advertising for challenge modes, or regular heroic runs. They could want to group up for LFR. Galleon could spawn at any moment. They could need me for my professions, or ask a question I know the answer to.

Lots of things. Definitely not because we're 'hoping someone will PST' us, or a 'social wannabe'.

I often queue up for something, then go clean or do something else until it pops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

Deleted
    When I've finished dailies/dungeons/raiding or whatever for the night I'll usually semi-afk in shrine and do other things on my PC with WoW idling on my second monitor. That way I'm available for any challenge modes, fun runs or whatever if a guildie fancies it. It's also just a glorified chat channel with some friends I guess. But hey, atleast I do other things the majority of my time in WoW, this is just late at night after I've done my main stuff for the day.