Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

So I guess Cataclysm is suddenly good?

Anyone else noticing the gradual nostalgia that's growing on these forums lately? I'm seeing a lot of "Pandaria is boring, at least Cata had XYZ" popping up, and if you look at their posts from last year near the end of Cata they were ripping it a new one in their comments.

I think we all knew this was going to happen, I just find it funny that it's happening so early this time around.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Yep, it's called nostalgia.

I remember when Wotlk sucked ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Anyone else noticing the gradual nostalgia that's growing on these forums lately? I'm seeing a lot of "Pandaria is boring, at least Cata had XYZ" popping up, and if you look at their posts from last year near the end of Cata they were ripping it a new one in their comments.

I think we all knew this was going to happen, I just find it funny that it's happening so early this time around.
    Rose-tinted glasses sure do wonders, don't they? Hurry up and pump out that next expansion Blizzard so we can hear about how great Mists of Pandaria was and at least there was always something to do with all those dailies they shoved in your face!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anti-wow View Post
    Yep, it's called nostalgia.

I remember when Wotlk sucked ass.
    yes I do, wasn't it Ulduar? :P

Well, nostalgia is certainly part of it, but another part is that the people complaining during Cata are happy now and the people who were happy then are complaining now.

Can't please everyone and all that.

Personally I enjoyed cata for what it was and am enjoying MoP for what it is. To me both are better than wrath, but that's because I started raiding during ToC and blech for that place.

No, Cata sucked. The problem is, MoP isn't any better.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Learn to love it. Happens after every expansion. Each and every one. I have yet to see an instance where it hasn't happened. It happened with Cata, and it will also happen with MoP. Change will always alienate some people, and they will usually be a vocal minority.

nope MoP is miles better than cata, its just a bunch of whiners who have no life and just complain about everything, they must be really fun people to be around in real life...constantly moaning everything they do isn't as good as it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an odd mix of nostalgia and common sense depending on the argument.
    The fact is Cata as an expansion wasn't that good and got none of the endgame content right, whether it be balance or quantity of raiding or PvP.
    The common sense part I mentioned is for people who were perhaps lost in blindly hating Cata and then realised the levelling was rather good. The one thing it did right was the 1-60 content.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post

It's because Cata had no big structural problem. It just lacked content. MoP so far has been both a massive pain in the ass with the non-raid side of its character progression. Which wouldn't be so bad except it's a massive amount of pain in the ass for a substantial yet temporary boost for raiders eventually pushing past MSV. Or people that like to play alts and raid casually with them. Or people who actually want to progress in the game's overarching gear treadmill in general.

MoP has a lot more "stuff to do" but it's either materially unrewarding (i.e. scenarios, pet battles and challenge modes) or it's trivial tedium tied to the best rewards (dailies). It seems that at least some people would rather do nothing than be forced to do the same stupid, trivial shit over and over for weeks at a time.

Happens every expansion like clockwork.

Next expansion we'll hear from people like the poster above me how amazing MoP was.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, sorry about that. Thought we passed along the memo.

Basically

Cata is now OK. It actually helped the game, but it's not good
    Wrath is now the best thing to happen to WoW and was the pinnacle of excellence
    BC is still pretty good, but not quite
    Classic is Classic
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    No, Cata sucked. The problem is, MoP isn't any better.
    In your opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Didn't u see the "Worst expansion ever" thread lol? Cata didn't look so good there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veliladon View Post
    It's because Cata had no big structural problem. It just lacked content. MoP so far has been both a massive pain in the ass with the non-raid side of its character progression. Which wouldn't be so bad except it's a massive amount of pain in the ass for a substantial yet temporary boost for raiders eventually pushing past MSV. Or people that like to play alts and raid casually with them. Or people who actually want to progress in the game's overarching gear treadmill in general.

MoP has a lot more "stuff to do" but it's either materially unrewarding (i.e. scenarios, pet battles and challenge modes) or it's trivial tedium tied to the best rewards (dailies). It seems that at least some people would rather do nothing than be forced to do the same stupid, trivial shit over and over for weeks at a time.
    Seems like you just figured out how MMOs keep players playing. Prolonging content
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cata WAS only good to those who like getting everything for no effort. MoP sucks, to them, cuz they actually have to work for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Truth is each expansion has been worse then the last in some major way.

Cataclysm at least didnt have the stupid pandas in an asian cash grab; Wrath at least didn't have the cheap and lazy rehash raids and reused world and you know GOOD PVP Balance!; TBC at least had a proper raiding setup that kept out the scrubs and a proper arena setup that did likewise!; Vanilla at least had 40 man epicness and loot that was great in all parts of the game instead of being fractured into pvp or pve only!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The community favorite expansion is always 2 before the current. So yes, next expansion people will think Cata was the best expansion.

Time will wash away what an expansion did wrong, leaving only what it did right.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Is nostalgia really popping up? Hadn't noticed.

I still hate the few months I played cataclysm and with my 10 day play-time haven't yet been enticed to purchase/try MoP for a month - yet. I still regard TBC / WotLK as my favourite periods in WoW.

Vanilla was ok
    BC My favorite
    WotLK was ok
    Cata was terrible
    MoP is ok