Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Why is there a double standard for WoW?

    I have never understood this. People will play other games and go "I quit because the questing was always just boring kill this collect that" Umm OK so how is that any different than WoW? You say that part of the game sucks and then you go back to WoW and roll a new alt or go do dailies. Im confused. If kill this and collect that quests suck in a different game why is it acceptable in WoW? Or people will say the gameplay is too linear. Like it isnt in WoW? Every quest hub sends you right to the next one every single time, it never changes, how is that not linear? Or people will say "I hated X Game because it was too grindy" and then they go back to WoW. OK again why do you quit another game saying its too grindy and then go back to WoW and grind all those reps to exalted so you can get gear? Or do BGs all day long in order to get Honor gear. Are those not grinds or are they just acceptable because its in WoW?

    I just have never understood why people seem to think the things they hated in other games arent in WoW. I read through the threads about other MMOs and its always the things I listed above that make people say they didnt like the game. Yet all of those same things are in WoW so i dont get it. How is it fine for one game to have them but if another game has the exact same things its bad and fail?

  2. #2
    Anyone know what OPs point is?

    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.
    [Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1521-3726-7197]

  3. #3
    People are idiots.

    Also, WoW isn't very grindy.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Anyone know what OPs point is?
    Its pretty easy to understand. People will say they hate a game and list their reasons but keep playing WoW even though it has the exact same things they hated.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Its pretty easy to understand. People will say they hate a game and list their reasons but keep playing WoW even though it has the exact same things they hated.
    ...but the reverse is true as well. Really talk to anyone playing another MMO and ask them why they hate wow and you'll find the MMO they are playing has the exact same problems. Its just people being people.

    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.
    [Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1521-3726-7197]

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gande View Post
    People are idiots.

    Also, WoW isn't very grindy.
    Exalted reps, Gear, Honor. Theres tons of grind in WoW. Do you think people with 12000+ achievement points went out and got that in a week? Hell No it probably took them many years or even since release.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Do you think people with 12000+ achievement points went out and got that in a week? Hell No it probably took them many years or even since release.
    Exactly, slow buildup - that's not what a grind is. Grinds are relentless application of playtime and effort until you achieve a goal, not earning something over years.

    WoW certainly does have double standards though. It's probably the only game where people think they're entitled to everything. Few to no other games have a system where if a difficulty level is "too hard" the game will make it easier for you, you either get better or don't get to beat Orcs Must Die! / Shogun 2 / Insertothergamehere on the hardest difficulty.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Gande View Post
    People are idiots.

    Also, WoW isn't very grindy.
    Actually, it is. They just do a spectacular job of pacing the grind and presenting it in a way that doesn't make it seem like a "grind".

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Exactly, slow buildup - that's not what a grind is. Grinds are relentless application of playtime and effort until you achieve a goal, not earning something over years.
    See: Heroic farming to gear up for raiding. Raid farming to gear up for heroic raids. Heroic raid farming to gear up for the next tier. Rep grind after rep grind to unlock more reps to grind out ect. ect. ect.

    I'm not saying that grinding is bad. Quite the contrary, a good grind can be the absolute best part of a game. But "relentless applications of playtime and effort" can be far from unenjoyable.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2013-02-15 at 05:26 AM.

  9. #9
    Dreadlord Roangut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The pumpkin patch
    Posts
    903
    I think one of the funniest double standards I've seen regarding video games/wow was my brother use to give me grief for needing to go up to raid, yet he does the exact same shit with his NHL game he's into. God forbid he miss a game or have to afk for 2 min to let the dog out.

  10. #10
    Bloodsail Admiral WarpKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,050
    My mate once said to me, when I was trying out different things and different mmos

    "Why are you looking for a game that is like WoW? Just play WoW.."

    and then I suddenly understood. Pretty much all MMOs are the same, but WoW has the biggest community, longest history, most features, and most established form. So I started playing again, and I have continued ever since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tumblrists gonna Tumble.
    Someone got there [sic] shit seriously triggered.

  11. #11
    You think this is exclusive to WoW?

    Did you just start playing games yesterday?
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post
    My mate once said to me, when I was trying out different things and different mmos

    "Why are you looking for a game that is like WoW? Just play WoW.."

    and then I suddenly understood. Pretty much all MMOs are the same, but WoW has the biggest community, longest history, most features, and most established form. So I started playing again, and I have continued ever since.
    This person couldn't have said it any better and pretty much sums it up very well.

    Even though I hate the game the way it currently is, there is just no MMO out there than can compete with WoW as an entire package. There are some that have better combat system, flow, dynamic events but then they often miss on the latter, like big communities, good end game, etc.

    Ever since WoW has come out, I've been forced to try all the different MMOs, but I have never tried any besides Tera when I recently took a break. The UI is so confusing and they have a really bad quest log including map and screen.

    However, I just can't see a reason to play any other as I would rather be playing woW only cause of the amount of time I've invested in the game and everything else that comes with it.

    However, I really am hoping TESO can change that. I think it has a strong IP and well as a good following. I mean they already have like a million followers on facebook.

  13. #13
    Brewmaster Voidgazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Silent Hill
    Posts
    1,269
    This thread belongs in WoW General imo.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    I have never understood this. People will play other games and go "I quit because the questing was always just boring kill this collect that" Umm OK so how is that any different than WoW? You say that part of the game sucks and then you go back to WoW and roll a new alt or go do dailies. Im confused. If kill this and collect that quests suck in a different game why is it acceptable in WoW? Or people will say the gameplay is too linear. Like it isnt in WoW? Every quest hub sends you right to the next one every single time, it never changes, how is that not linear? Or people will say "I hated X Game because it was too grindy" and then they go back to WoW. OK again why do you quit another game saying its too grindy and then go back to WoW and grind all those reps to exalted so you can get gear? Or do BGs all day long in order to get Honor gear. Are those not grinds or are they just acceptable because its in WoW?

    I just have never understood why people seem to think the things they hated in other games arent in WoW. I read through the threads about other MMOs and its always the things I listed above that make people say they didnt like the game. Yet all of those same things are in WoW so i dont get it. How is it fine for one game to have them but if another game has the exact same things its bad and fail?
    Because expectations aren't met. People leave wow and play another game, they expect to get something else. If it turns out that the same thing they left wow for is in the current game also, then there was no reason to leave in the first place.... they will accept it in wow but they want something better from the new game.

  15. #15
    I think its because they already got most of the shit done in wow (sorry for s-word) and they dont want to start fresh and do it all over in a new game. Time spent is time spent and in wow they can do most of the good stuff because they already got a max lvl char with tons of achivements and whatev. I accept that, like chucky in SoA would have said. Why level up again and grind for gold, because most other mmos there still got max lvl as requirement to do raiding and endgame pvp and things like that and many people get bored fast with leveling and grinding gold.
    It's just comfortable log back on to your char in wow again that has done all that and keep on doing what you want to do like for example raiding.
    I think that is the main reason.
    Your lord is under attack! Your lord is under attack!

  16. #16
    Scarab Lord ringpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    4,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    I have never understood this. People will play other games and go "I quit because the questing was always just boring kill this collect that" Umm OK so how is that any different than WoW? You say that part of the game sucks and then you go back to WoW and roll a new alt or go do dailies. Im confused. If kill this and collect that quests suck in a different game why is it acceptable in WoW? Or people will say the gameplay is too linear. Like it isnt in WoW? Every quest hub sends you right to the next one every single time, it never changes, how is that not linear? Or people will say "I hated X Game because it was too grindy" and then they go back to WoW. OK again why do you quit another game saying its too grindy and then go back to WoW and grind all those reps to exalted so you can get gear? Or do BGs all day long in order to get Honor gear. Are those not grinds or are they just acceptable because its in WoW?

    I just have never understood why people seem to think the things they hated in other games arent in WoW. I read through the threads about other MMOs and its always the things I listed above that make people say they didnt like the game. Yet all of those same things are in WoW so i dont get it. How is it fine for one game to have them but if another game has the exact same things its bad and fail?
    WoW is more addictive.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Actually, it is. They just do a spectacular job of pacing the grind and presenting it in a way that doesn't make it seem like a "grind".



    See: Heroic farming to gear up for raiding. Raid farming to gear up for heroic raids. Heroic raid farming to gear up for the next tier. Rep grind after rep grind to unlock more reps to grind out ect. ect. ect.

    I'm not saying that grinding is bad. Quite the contrary, a good grind can be the absolute best part of a game. But "relentless applications of playtime and effort" can be far from unenjoyable.
    Every MMORPG is grindy, but in the MMORPG world WoW is one of the lesser grindy ones...if it doesn't seem like a grind then it means it isn't a grind.

  18. #18
    People have a lot of time and effort invested into WoW, they see it as, " Why start again doing the same stuff when I already have a ton of stuff already?"

  19. #19
    Titan Kalyyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    11,278
    The main thing I don't understand is the mentality where the exact same person will play one game and say "This is too different from WoW! I can't play this!" and then go to another game and say "This is just a wow-clone!"

    Basically, they don't want to admit it but they're actually just saying "This game isn't called World of Warcraft so it's bad!"

  20. #20
    Moderator Shamanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    10,614
    WoW isn't just one thing though. I've played a lot of MMOs and out of all of them, WoW appealed to the greatest number of people with its diversity. Even if you hate one aspect of it, there's likely to be something that makes up for it. There are also varying degrees of anything. You can say a game is too grindy, and consider it more grindy than WoW. Just because you consider WoW grindy, doesn't mean the next person who doesn't like grind, defines "too grindy" in the same fashion.

    Also; plenty of people have been playing WoW for a long time, are invested in the game, have friends and guilds there and even though WoW may have features they don't like, the social positives outweigh the gameplay negatives.

    Otherwise, people are fickle and often don't make sense, there is no real point trying to analyse or understand it if someone contradicts themselves.
    Moderator of Professions | General Discussion | Diablo 3 | Guild Wars 2
    Please take the time to read the Forum Guidelines & Sig Guidelines

    Currently playing: No MMOs | Diablo 3 | LoL | Hex TCG | Hearthstone
    Steam | Twitter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •