Deleted

SSFIV AE - Best characters for a beginner?

Hello guys.

First off I know this forum may not be the best one to ask things about Street Fighter since there are already a lot of forums out there specialized on the SF games, but since I use MMO-C a lot I decided to ask it here since I'm sure some people probably play this game on a good level.

The thing is I recently made some friends which are true fans of this saga, and I used to play it a lot a few months ago (around 16 months ago to be more specific and it was on SSFIV, not on the Arcade Edition) but it was on PS3 with a PS3 Controller.

I sold the PS3 a few months ago and now I have a X360, and yesterday I decided to buy SSFIV AE for this console. I really want to become good and play ranked on the X360 since back when I played the SSFIV version on the PS3 I was able to defend myself on the online (of course with people of my level) and managed to finish the game on its hardest difficulty with Juri (she was my main).

But now with the X360 controller I feel like a noob, it will probably feel better after some practice playing with the X360 controller's stick rather than playing on a pad (the one from the PS3 controller) but it's kind of hard right now.

The thing is, I want to consider myself a beginner (which of course I am) even tho I understand some of the game mechanics, and I would like to know if you could recommend me any good character to start with to learn the game again.

I read on some forums about these "tiers" which probably don't mean much but they are sure a bit accurate on which characters are the best. My favourite character is Juri but I'd like to """""master""""" another one since she seems a bit weak right now.

I read that Fei Long is very strong right now, but I don't want to learn a character that I don't enjoy (I don't like him stetically). Another one that I'm interested in is Akuma (Gouki), since he's a badass and I want to learn a character that I really enjoy visually. Another characters that I like visually are Seth (but don't really like his mechanics), Evil Ryu (I think he's a bit weak?) and some other characters who look cool visually.

As you can see I'm more of a player who likes the kind of characters who look badass and awesome, so I prefer to play one of them even if there are others that are stronger, of course I want to play one that at least has some pros and is not a weakling.

So thanks guys and I hope the read wasn't that long, also sorry for my english since I'm not a native english speaker, if something is hard to understand I'll try to reply ASAP to make myself clear.

Cya!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't like Fei Long, my recomendation would be Ryu or Cammy. They are both very strong, and viable at "low level" (no offense intended). If you feel confidant, you should definitely try Akuma, he's a very strong character (are you aware that he's the main character of the best SF4 player right now? ^^).

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    If you don't like Fei Long, my recomendation would be Ryu or Cammy. They are both very strong, and viable at "low level" (no offense intended). If you feel confidant, you should definitely try Akuma
    I'll second this. Ryu or Cammy would be good for a beginner, they're pretty easy to learn (comparatively) and they're quite strong at the top levels too. Akuma is a bit more complex, and I really wouldn't recommend playing him on a pad, some of his tools are a little complex for that.

Though really play whatever character you like. Unless you have ambitions of being a professional player every character on the roster can be played successfully no matter where they are in the tier list. Infiltration has a pretty mean Hakan in addition to his Akuma even though Hakan is considered to be a low tier character.

Deleted
    Thanks for the answers guys!

I heard Cammy is strong, but don't really like her visually, I will try her tho. I may start with Ryu but every person I know at least knows how to play Ryu and I don't feel "special", I know that is stupid but you may understand what I'm talking about.

Akuma is probably the one that I'm more interested in, but he looks harder than others Shoto characters.

What about Evil Ryu? He looks cool but I don't know how he plays.

Ryu, definitely. His kit is very basic, yet many motions are key to understanding other characters. Plus benefit of Ryu being pretty decent in many match ups.

Deleted
    Oh, it seems that RoKPaNda didn't understand me. I'm actually playing on a stick, not a pad, so would it be that hard to learn how to play Akuma? I will try to look into Ryu and Cammy tho, thanks again for the input guys.

What about others like Seth, Abel and Sagat? Are they any good? how hard do you find them for a beginner?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holymorph View Post
    Oh, it seems that RoKPaNda didn't understand me. I'm actually playing on a stick, not a pad, so would it be that hard to learn how to play Akuma? I will try to look into Ryu and Cammy tho, thanks again for the input guys.

What about others like Seth, Abel and Sagat? Are they any good? how hard do you find them for a beginner?
    While I find Sagat to be generally strong as bull, he lacks a bit in the mmobility department. He's a bit more complex than your average shoto, but definitely not overly complicated to get the hang of.

Can't tell about Abel from a player's perspective, I can tell from an opponent's perspective that he's really pissing me off, though.

From my attempts to play as him, Seth is all levels of complex. Although I'm sure that mastering this character must be quite rewarding. Wouldn't recommend him to a beginner.

Surprisingly, Juri is not that hard at all to pick up if you like a rush type of character. And she's fun as hell to play!
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Deleted
    Yeah I love Juri because she's soooo fun to play, but from what I read she's not that strong right now, I know I should play whatever I want not just "the one that is the most op", but I feel like I want to start from scratch and re-learn the game with a new character.

Which other characters do you find both fun as Juri and powerful? How is Adon doing on the AE?

Didn't read much else in the thread,
    Cammy is a very high execution character. for a 'beginner', use Ryu to understanding spacing and zoning. His kit for an uppercut and fireball, along with his normals (crouching fierce[hard punch], standing roundhouse [hardkick]) will give you an understanding of how to zone your opponents properly. After you've figured out the zoning to the game, which will come on a character-by-character basis, and get execution for combos down, move onto a character you enjoy with their playstyle. Then it's going to change dramatically.

this isn't something you can do in less than a month. It will take months to get amazing at the game, just to be clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I love Juri because she's soooo fun to play, but from what I read she's not that strong right now, I know I should play whatever I want not just "the one that is the most op", but I feel like I want to start from scratch and re-learn the game with a new character.

Which other characters do you find both fun as Juri and powerful? How is Adon doing on the AE?
    Well judging from the nov 2012 tiers, she's in the middle of the pack, two points and three positions away from Ryu. There are a lot worse than her.

Adon, on the other hand, is ranked quite high. I like to think that Adon and Juri are similar, with the main differences being that Adon is less fancy and has more air time. Biggest issue in my experience with Adon is determining what to use and how to time that properly. Once you nail that down to a science, however, you're a machine.
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Deleted
    Hey guys.

I'm currently trying Cammy on the trial mode, she's really fun! I like her a lot, I'm already able to make some nice combos (Ex spiral arrow FADC followed by another Ex spiral arrow).

She's definitly really fun, I think I prefer to start with her rather than with Ryu, I like mobile-kick based characters (like Juri).

Having played SF in various forms for many years and having played several characters over that time my suggestion would be to not worry about the difficulty of the character. Go with what you want to play with.

Strategies and setups are going to vary even with characters as close as Ken and Ryu. There are nuances to each character that you will need to learn that do not transfer from one character to the next.

I, too, at one time used to think as you did that if I got good with Ryu I would suddenly be good with Akuma or Evil Ryu because they are similar but it doesn't work that way. Sure their moves are the same but the properties of each move special or regular are different. These differences leads to completely different mindsets and play styles. For instance the Akuma's super is 100 demon attack is much different than Ryu's super fireball. That init of itself leads you to play differently in order to land that super.

Go with what you want to play with. Learn the character, learn their moves and weaknesses. Don't be surprised if the end result isn't what you were looking for. In such a case go with a different character.

Deleted
    Thanks for the answer Revik! Really helpful

I already started to play with Cammy and I have to say I really liked her, since she's a lot like Juri (fast and kick-based) and I'm already able to make some nice combos but of course I still have to play a lot to understand and master the mechanics of the game.

Some things that I know I'm doing wrong while playing against other people are probably (the most noticeable) is that I tend to jump a lot, I usually try to attack from the air and I usually pay it hard since the shoto characters destroy me with their shoryuken.

Any advice/basic tips to improve these things?

Some things that I know I'm doing wrong while playing against other people are probably (the most noticeable) is that I tend to jump a lot, I usually try to attack from the air and I usually pay it hard since the shoto characters destroy me with their shoryuken.

you know how I got over that? ages ago, i made it a point to pretty much remove jumping. i wasn't ever allowed to jump. i'd practice against hardest difficulty computres, and was never allowed to jump unless I knocked them down and was going for a cross up for something.

basically, just play the game extremely lame/patiently. almost purposely try to make them mad by not jumping in.

Deleted
    I will try it, it may be difficult tho since I tend to jump a lot

Is there any website I should look for guides?

10+ Year Old Account
    They're all good, but I wouldn't recommend characters that rely on command throw mix ups for a begginer (like Seth and Abel). Sagat is easy to use against casual players. (meaning not-so-strong players)

How is Adon doing on the AE?
    Not the best character in the game, but he's good. I'd say he's A tier.

Cammy is a very high execution character.
    At high levels, yes, but advanced combos are hard for all characters. j.HK cr.MK xx Cannon Drill is pretty easy to do and considering her normals priorities, I believe she's viable for players with low execution skills.

I tend to jump a lot, I usually try to attack from the air and I usually pay it hard since the shoto characters destroy me with their shoryuken.

I had the same problem when I started playing fighting games, back in Street Fighter Alpha 3. New players usually jump a lot because they don't understand how footsies work, and usually have the wrong idea that "combos do a lot of damage, so all my damage should come from combos". What I did was to start playing without jumping at all, without worrying that I would lose most matches.

After weeks of loses, I started to learn how to use my normals to control space, and also started to win.

Is there any website I should look for guides?
    Shoryuken[dot]com is my favorite website for fighting games in general.

Thanks for the answer Revik! Really helpful

I already started to play with Cammy and I have to say I really liked her, since she's a lot like Juri (fast and kick-based) and I'm already able to make some nice combos but of course I still have to play a lot to understand and master the mechanics of the game.

Jumping is a pretty hard habit to break and in general you don't want to jump. If you jump you should always have a reason in mind like crossing up in the corner, jumping over a fireball, or to avoid getting thrown, etc. You never want to jump just to jump.

That being said always consider jumping an option. Predictability is a weakness in SF and if your opponent can count on you not jumping that could be a considerable weakness especially against some characters.

Deleted
    Hello guys.

I hate over-defensive Ryu's.

That is all guys.

Cya!

Just joking, I have been playing on the Xbox Live for +1.5 hours with Cammy and I feel like I'm improving slowly, yet improving. This system is pretty bad tho, I get to play with players from A to C+ ranks all the time, it's just depressing to have 400 points against people with more than 5000 or even 6000.

Hello guys.

I hate over-defensive Ryu's.

That is all guys.

Cya!

Just joking, I have been playing on the Xbox Live for +1.5 hours with Cammy and I feel like I'm improving slowly, yet improving. This system is pretty bad tho, I get to play with players from A to C+ ranks all the time, it's just depressing to have 400 points against people with more than 5000 or even 6000.
    You shouldn't feel bad about losing to someone who is good. It is people who are good that you learn the most from. Playing crappy players while you might win can lead to bad habits down the line. If you play crappy players often enough you could end up playing in such a way that you are actually leaving yourself open that crappy players normally don't take advantage of while good players are all over. Then you are stuck in a process of having to take a step back before you can take 2 steps forward.

Just something to bare in mind.

Deleted
    Hey guys.

I'm having a hard time when it comes to blocking.

I tend to get hit by a lot of low/mid attacks without being able to block them, I think I'm doing something wrong... and it's starting to get frustrating.