The new SoJ is now working "properly" on the PTR, and as many of us suspected it's pretty problematic. Most of the criticisms I made in my post in a previous thread are as relevant as I thought they would be.
The proc does about half as much damage as a TV, which just isn't that much; Seal of Truth can do about that much burst in only a slightly larger window. On the pre-made I used on the PTR, SoT ticks for 7k, SoJ hits for around 30k non crit. When you add in the weapon damage strikes from SoT, the fact that the weapon damage procs on Judgement, and the fact that Censure is constantly doing damage, this new seal is completely gimp... not to mention it does drastically more damage on targets that are standing still than moving ones, so there is no way to balance it for PvE, unless they accept that it will just do more damage that SoT, which they probably won't.
Also, the seal significantly changes your rotation, and is a nightmare to manage. Keeping yourself from wasting stacks is a full-time job... which would be fine if it were a well-paying job, which it's not.
Here is my list of issues from a previous thread, pretty much all of them apply to the version currently live on the PTR:
List of serious flaws with the new Seal of Justice:
Let's start with the common ones that other people thought of, and I will list the ones I have not seen mentioned elsewhere at the end:
1) Seal of Truth does much more damage while being kited due to Censure (this alone raises serious concerns about whether this seal can even be balanced for PvP and PvE).
2) Seal of Justice not only stacks very slowly from range, but also cannot be UNLEASHED from range, so if you are at 5 stacks and cannot reach your target, your next Judgement will waste a stack and only refresh SoJ.
3) If you are CCed for 20 seconds or line of sighted, the stack falls off and all damage is completely lost, Censure on the other hand at least did damage before it expired.
EDIT (2/14): I forgot to mention that SoJ is also horrible while disarmed: Censure would keep on ticking while disarmed, while SoJ becomes very difficult to stack, and cannot be unleashed... with the coming Ring of Peace, this is another absolute nightmare.
From this point on things start getting really bad:
4) SoJ clashes with our rotation, Ret Paladins do not use TV when ever they can, if we are not holy power capped we use HP generators like CS to maximize dps, and use TV at 5 HP, or when nothing else is available. So, with SoJ we have to use TV at 5 stacks of SoJ or waste stacks, or stick to the max dps rotation and waste stacks but not waste holy power. This adds another major dps hit to SoJ.
5) Refreshing Inquisition will now be a huge dps loss, why? Because if we use 3 HP for Inquisition, we cannot dump our SoJ stacks, thus several SoJ application will be wasted until we have enough HP to use TV. Even if you use Inquisition at 5 HP, you will still probably waste stacks before you can TV.
6) Word of Glory becomes a much bigger dps loss for the same reasons as Inquisition, however the problem here is even worse since you can somewhat plan when Inquisition will be refresh (but honestly not really in the chaos of PvP), when it comes to WoG, you have to heal when people need it, you can't sit around and manage SoJ stacks and Holy Power while you or your partners are dying. So, if you heal with WoG while SoJ is at 5 stacks, you will then potentially have to hit 3 HP generators before being able to TV, this can lead to numerous stacks of SoJ to be completely wasted.
7) Due to the problems listed above, this seal is practically unusable unless you take Divine Purpose (and even then you will need lots of luck), and we are supposed to have choices. 5.2 already takes talent choices away from Ret as it is. The huge Flash of Light buff makes Selfless healer blow everything else in that tier away. The Hand of Sacrifice buff makes Clemency even more mandatory. The loss of the SoJ snare makes Burden of Guilt our only snare option other than Light's Hammer. Holy Prism will still beat Light's Hammer almost always. And, Long Arm of the Law is pretty much dominant even today, and will remain that way. In other words, if you use this seal you basically have no real talent options at all.
EDIT: 8) SoJ could waste stacks at pretty much any time when we spend a global on a utility spell and so delay HP generation and thus TVs (and so our auto-attacks will stack SoJ faster than we can consume it).
1) This seal has to stack to more than 5 to work (but still only 5 stacks usable at a time), otherwise the amount of wasted SoJ applications will be absurd, and the seal will do a tiny fraction of Seal of Truth damage. Stacking to 10 might work.
2) Another option is to add a non-damage buff to the seal, such as something along the lines of Necrotic strike, this will make up for the unavoidably massive difference in damage between the two seals.
3) The new SoJ attack could perhaps be triggered by Judgement so that being kited doesn't lead to both slow stacking and wasted stacks. The attack should only be triggered at 5 stacks in this case, since Judgement is used fairly often, and is our main gap closer.