Shadow p - best time for hero

When you get to a fight where hero is going to be popped at the start how long after the pull should hero be cast to maximize priest dps?

Im a warlock and need to clarify this before i go argue my point which is that hero should be cast on the pull rather than 10-15 seconds in

As a lock i can get it up to 250k with hero on pull
    190k with hero 10-15 seconds in

Ive never heard a class benefits more without their prepot up
    Last edited by Tara senko; 2013-02-13 at 09:04 PM.

Deleted
    I personaly prefer it straight away because every thing seems to procs plus the prepot.. but I have no idea if that is the correct way.
    but im sure some 1 here will be able to tell you

Your priest is probably waiting to generate his 3 orbs and wants to try and throw everything at you (being a warlock and all lol) in a futile attempt to do more dps. If your priest just kills critters along the way or saves 3 orbs while clearing trash he wouldn't be demanding to wait 10-15 seconds in for lust. Lastly, the supposed DPS he thinks he is going to gain will gimp the other 4-5 dps in ur raid, epeen<raid members.

Deleted
    About 2-3 secs after the pull, not exactly on it. Waiting for 3 orbs is pointless since you'll waste your potion at this point(and in case of bad RNG you'll only get it after the potion fades). The point is to get the initial MB off, the one you start precasting right before the pull and then pop shadowfiend. This is the biggest bonus you get, having shadowfiend up right before the BL, since otherwise he won't benefit from it. But you don't want to wait too long, since you'll have to waste time reapplying dots. So for the person who pops BL, basically wait till you enter combat and then wait one GCD.

Oh, also why is it bad to pop right on the pull: we can't get our shadowfiend out before tank connects witht he boss, since shadowfiend will teleport directly behind the boss and gonna do a huge hit right away, pulling the aggro and getting oneshotted. Happened so many times on bladelord >_>

Sometimes It's better to have Hero/bl lateron in the fight. Sometimes It's better to have it in the start. That's it.
    I'm a kittycat

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are going to use it at the start, use it in the first 5 seconds, once you are sure the tank isn't going to be ripped off of. If you aren't going to use it at the start, use it just above 20% so everyone's execute phases are in the hero for a multiplicative ass-whooping. Any other time, it is much less overall dps.

... Or that's what I remember being told anyway. I'm just the meatshield/wipe-blame-target!

15+ Year Old Account
    There isn't really a good time for Bloodlust as Shadow - it should be based on when the powerful cooldown classes want it - which isn't us. Getting a DP up ASAP into a Bloodlust is a pretty valuable thing for us - in the hopes of getting at least one more up before it ends - but because we DP every ~30 seconds - and because Mindbender/Shadowfiend are used immediately on the pull and every 1-3 minutes throughout the fight, they will pretty much always line up with lust anyways.

Shadow doesn't generally scale too well during execute with lust ether - because we start weaving in 2 GCDs of Death every 12 seconds - and because of our haste are hitting the 1 second GCD cap - it's best for us to use it above execute range (like at the start of a fight).

It's certainly not worth waiting for the Spriest to get Shadow Orbs though to Lust at the start, your delaying every other classes burst for at most an extra lusted DP (which compared to an unlusted DP, is only like a +2 tick bonus). If possible your spriest should hunt down some spiders or rats to Mind Blast before the pull, or QQ to Ghostcrawler about how we need a burst cooldown to be cool like the rest of the DPS specs (which I'm not necessarily supporting, it's just the hip thing to do - but it would at least make Shadow care about lust timing again).
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

I stopped caring when i couldn't break 190k burst dps at the start compared to lower ilvl raider pulling 230-300k dps at the start....
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Deleted
    No worries people, next tier we will be asking for BL on pull<3.
    @Yvaelle, every 8seconds not 12 for swd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falsified View Post
    No worries people, next tier we will be asking for BL on pull<3.
    @Yvaelle, every 8seconds not 12 for swd.
    Ooh right!
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Get dots up and with less than 3 seconds on them ticked and i will take a hero

My guess is that your s.priest is wanting A.) Trinks + Spellthread + Weapon to be proc’d + B.) Pot still Active + C.) 3 Orb DP. I’m currently using the Light of the Cosmos & Darkmoon card trinks, so my procs are really important to my DPS. In my group, I usually ask the tank to call for hero as soon as he is comfortable he has the boss under control (usually within the first 3 seconds or so), but it is definitely a loss for me to do that.

Pre-pot, pre fade, precast MB
    Tank pulls  shadowfiend

Now if we are casing hero here, I have two options. Either A.) I apply dots right when hero is cast regardless of procs or B.) I wait for all of my procs to line up and have no dots on the target for up to 6-8 seconds. Basically what this means is that I’ll Dot the target up immediately after hero, then have to reapply dots 5-7 seconds later which sucks. If hero were to wait 10 seconds, then I could open the same, dot the target, then reapply when hero is cast with all of my procs up. Scenario B.) is much better burst for me.

That being said, as the raid leader I don’t wait for hero because I am one DPS out of 6-7, and the others would prefer hero right away. Total RAID dps goes down if you wait for hero.