Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    I now know what it feels like when your tank abandons you for a joke...

    so i've created a few threads in the past about me tanking, people trying to be funny and me leaving when it happens. never thought i'd be on the receiving end of such a tank though...

    the situation is as such: a paladin tank with full epic gear. he was chain pulling and mass pulling in scholomance hc, like he did in scarlet monastery right before. we kill the first 4 bosses easily, but after lilian voss, he pulls 75% of the bored students room, along with the instructor, runs around the corner, dies in an instant, rest of the group dies as well. the warrior can mass rezz us, we regroup at the entrance and as a joke, I say "don't get cocky, kid". It's a Star Wars reference, for those that don't get it. he says "you talking to me", and when I confirm, he says okay and leaves the group.

    I now know what that group felt like I mentioned a few weeks back, when I left their group after someone told me to get the dick out of my mouth. but still, I don't think he should have reacted so over the top. even the rest of the group agreed that he was overreacting. I mean, he was pulling insanely big packs, starting fights when the healer was at 30% mana and such. so given the circumstances, joking about cockiness was appropriate.

    now, what's your opinion on this?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    now, what's your opinion on this?
    Well intentioned or not, a random group isn't really the best place to make a joke like that.

  3. #3
    Everybody makes mistakes, and not nearly as many people as you might expect know that quote.
    I'd probably leave as well, assuming you're trying to patronize and insult me rather than just making a joke. If I knew it was a joke, I'd have grinned. Since I wouldn't have known, I'd have left.

  4. #4
    Bloodsail Admiral dannypoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK/Wales
    Posts
    1,076
    Tanks are pain in the ass, they join instantly leave becuase they dont like the look of the group.or remind you of how shit you are all the way through xD
    But there are decent tanks out there to. just humans bein humans I guess

  5. #5
    People in full epics feel like they are doing you a favor by being there. and they are. no need to make comments

  6. #6
    People have fragile little egos these days. Being the tank, his ego is very over-inflated. Also, he probably didn't understand the Star Wars reference, which means he can't be much older than sixteen. These three factors combined form one very porcelain ego.

    When he asked "You talking to me?" you should have said, "I take it you haven't seen Star Wars?" He was probably so butthurt at that point it wouldn't have mattered anyways, though.

  7. #7
    Epic! Detheavn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Nether .... lands
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brouhaha View Post
    People in full epics feel like they are doing you a favor by being there. and they are. no need to make comments
    People in full epics are there for the same stuff most people are in there for ... VP.
    No person queues up for a dungeon, just to help random strangers out ...

  8. #8
    My opinion - the tank was a bit self centered and had no sense of humor. I was in a similar situation (I was healing), said something kinda snarky like you did. The tank laughed and said "yeah, I pushed a bit too hard on that one". So he did slightly smaller pulls, and we completed the instance.

  9. #9
    Legendary! The Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Litwak's Arcade Sunny Scotland!
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    People have fragile little egos these days. Being the tank, his ego is very over-inflated. Also, he probably didn't understand the Star Wars reference, which means he can't be much older than sixteen. These three factors combined form one very porcelain ego.

    When he asked "You talking to me?" you should have said, "I take it you haven't seen Star Wars?" He was probably so butthurt at that point it wouldn't have mattered anyways, though.
    I'm 30 and I wouldn't have gotten that reference, though I wouldn't have taken offense to it either, I'd have agreed that I was probably being too cocky pulling so much and not paying attention to the healers mana, and come back and grabbed a smaller amount of mobs and apologised for taking on too much.

    Too many folks unwilling to admit when they do something wrong, and too quick to place blame elswhere first.

  10. #10
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    719
    Gotta be careful with tanks, because a single tank going Random can instantly switch groups if he doesn't like the group for whatever reason, because tanks have like instant LFD invites.

    So don't piss off a tank, especially not as a DPS. Even if it might be hard sometimes.
    As DPS, a slow newbie tank is probably faster for you than when you re-try to find a different group (what's it like, 30min wait time?) and a hopefully better tank.

    Also, really good tanks do of course chain-pull and if the group isn't good enough for it (especially the healer) then this won't end well, but that's just because the really good groups can clear those dungeons insanely fast, way faster than you'll ever reach when going random unless you're really lucky.

    As a fairly geared Disc priest with zero problems to heal in LFD I like to "push" slow tanks a little bit by either pulling mobs myself then Fading/Shadowmelding or - what I really like recently - by running into the next mob group (body pull), Lifegrip the tank to me directly into the action, and then Fade or Shadowmeld. Fun for me, maybe not so fun for the tank (but maybe it is) and it's a couple of seconds faster.
    Of course I also tell him that he can speed up a bit, right at the start.
    Last edited by TaurenNinja; 2013-02-13 at 10:58 PM.

  11. #11
    Epic! Punks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Coeur D'alene
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    People in full epics are there for the same stuff most people are in there for ... VP.
    No person queues up for a dungeon, just to help random strangers out ...
    Um Bullshit? I do it all the time. As does my girl. and my guild.
    Why does Ghostcrawler hate paladins?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    A ret paladin killed his parents.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Punks View Post
    Um Bullshit? I do it all the time. As does my girl. and my guild.
    Really? You join LFD for the SOLE reason to help completely random strangers out? You go into LFD when Justice AND Valor capped, already clad in full epics, JUST to help random people from random servers? We're not talking new people in your guild, but 140% random players from LFD.

    EDIT: I'm sorry, but it's just *REALLY* hard to believe someone joins LFD to help random people out of the goodness of their heart. Not saying it's impossible, just very, VERY improbable.

    Sig image by Best-Signatures.com

  13. #13
    Epic! Punks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Coeur D'alene
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Really? You join LFD for the SOLE reason to help completely random strangers out? You go into LFD when Justice AND Valor capped, already clad in full epics, JUST to help random people from random servers? We're not talking new people in your guild, but 140% random players from LFD.
    Yeah? Why is that hard to believe. I love chain running a dung. My tank has about 550k hp. Could solo most heroics. I get a lot of thanks, and even sometimes a new friend.

    This is a MMO just thought I would remind you. MMO= Massively Multi-player Online.
    Why does Ghostcrawler hate paladins?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    A ret paladin killed his parents.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    but still, I don't think he should have reacted so over the top. even the rest of the group agreed that he was overreacting.

    now, what's your opinion on this?
    Leaving a group is in no way over the top, overreacting... He is a tank. He can find a replacement group inside 30 seconds. Oh noes, he had to click his mouse twice? Where is the overreaction again?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    People have fragile little egos these days. Being the tank, his ego is very over-inflated. Also, he probably didn't understand the Star Wars reference, which means he can't be much older than sixteen. These three factors combined form one very porcelain ego.

    When he asked "You talking to me?" you should have said, "I take it you haven't seen Star Wars?" He was probably so butthurt at that point it wouldn't have mattered anyways, though.
    I've seen all the Star Wars movies and I think they are pretty good films, however nowhere in my memory can I find that quote. Also, since it doesn't really sound like a quote and could be used without referencing I can see how he didn't get it. I mean, if someone said "May the force be with you" or whatever that wouldn't commonly be used in speech it would be a bit weird if they didn't realize it was a joke. But for such a bland quote, nope.

    OT: It's even possible he had something else to do or didn't really need to do that run, and because of that the impression of you being a douche (Not calling you a douche, just saying he thought so) was enough of a reason for him to leave since it didn't even matter for him in the first place.

  16. #16
    Scarab Lord Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,765
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahfireworks View Post
    Well intentioned or not, a random group isn't really the best place to make a joke like that.
    if they don't like it they can go shove their politically correct log up their ass somewhere else

    I'm Rick James, bitch!

    But yeah, people always complaining about how the game is so anti-social now, and this is the kind of thing you can thank for it: kids who can't take a joke, or really, any kind of criticism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Makanprakan View Post
    I've seen all the Star Wars movies and I think they are pretty good films, however nowhere in my memory can I find that quote.
    You get a thumbs up, pat on the back and a "way to go" from your label every day, looking boy
    Hey, looking boy, what you say looking boy? I get a "hell yeah" from Dre, looking boy
    I work for everything I have, never asked nobody for shit. Get outta my face, looking boy


  17. #17
    You're completely in the wrong. Who would get a reference like that lol?

  18. #18
    People have attitudes sometimes. It's easy to misinterpret the meaning behind text.

  19. #19
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Makanprakan View Post
    I've seen all the Star Wars movies and I think they are pretty good films, however nowhere in my memory can I find that quote. Also, since it doesn't really sound like a quote and could be used without referencing I can see how he didn't get it.
    Han says it to luke in the first movie when he shoots down a tie fighter in the falcon. If my memory isnt to hazy >.> I loved the SW movies and grew up with the first 3 but I wouldn't have gotten that reference if you hadn't said it. This is another reason why I don't talk at all in random heroics.

    *edit* seems my memory was right and gandrake beat me to it !

  20. #20
    Looks like that tank did a critical mistake when he went around the corner. Always check if your healer is keeping up with you. Had I been that tank, I would have slapped myself of not remembering that lesson.

    However, being a tank in pugs is something I did a lot during BC and Lich King and now I refuse to tank in pugs (Not gonna write a column about it. Don't feel like whining). I can understand why he left, even if that was his own fault.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •