Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

school copyrights student and teacher's work

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...-students-work

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...5ee_story.html

I am losing faith in humanity at an incredible rate between the Dorner thing, another fucking internet censorship bill, THIS, and isp monopolies reigning freely. And the usual daily school shootings/ innocent people being murdered by cops/other people with guns.

Deleted
    i would understand if it was work done through a universities funding by some postgraduates but at a school? thats taking too far

or student's time and with the use of their materials.
    This wouldn't stand up in court. A business can't even copyright what an employee does on their own time with their own materials (as long as said work is not related to what they do on their job), that has already been held up in court multiple times before.

Anything you turn in as homework, the school can copyright. This isn't anything new.

These students should stop turning in their work, or only turn in their work to the highest bidder. This is crap really. Those kids have to do that work, and get paid nothing for it. Meanwhile, the school owns the copyright and can turn around and publish the works and make money off of it. This cant be legal. I would think that on some level this is illegal forced labor (which I always felt home work was anyway when I was a child).

Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    These students should stop turning in their work, or only turn in their work to the highest bidder. This is crap really. Those kids have to do that work, and get paid nothing for it. Meanwhile, the school owns the copyright and can turn around and publish the works and make money off of it. This cant be legal. I would think that on some level this is illegal forced labor (which I always felt home work was anyway when I was a child).
    Oh the horror, making kids do homework. Also, why people are so outraged is beyond me. Why you think the schools would publish the shit written by students for anything other than educational purposes is beyond me, as the quality of work turned in by high school kids is pretty terrible in general.

I had to sit through the horror of getting in groups of 6 and passing our drafts around in a circle for commentary and suggestions. You couldn't pay me enough to read the utter crap that most people write at that level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    If it is done using school equipment and on the school's dime, then I see no problem with it. It already happens in the business world where an employer holds rights over anything an employee develops using the employer's resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    If it is done using school equipment and on the school's dime, then I see no problem with it. It already happens in the business world where an employer holds rights over anything an employee develops using the employer's resources.
    Pretty sure there's legal precedent for students forfeiting rights to anything they turn in as homework (even in college and developed on your own) to the school.

I guess it's a blowblack from the recession. Too many annoying lawyers without a job.

This is stupid... One day, copyrights will kill the creativity because everyone will be afraid to get sued.

So the SCHOOL would own the work, not the child or teacher? Doesn't sound like something I'd support.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

10+ Year Old Account
    Can anyone explain why this matters? I didn't exactly right Shakespear on my english homework.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Anything you turn in as homework, the school can copyright. This isn't anything new.
    Stop making sense. This is MMO Off-Topic, not some....collegiate debate! God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Stop making sense. This is MMO Off-Topic, not some....collegiate debate! God.
    "GOD ....IDIOT!!!!!!"

On topic I'm not sure if this is something to moan about. Dorner yes but this? Eh....we shall live.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I know that my college used some parts of my final project for publicity. I didn't care because I was proud of my work. Copyrights are another monster, this mean they can sue someone if this is too close from the original idea. Law can be extremely subjective, even more if you know a good lawyer.

Nothing in our corrupt education system/business would surprise me at this point.

Deleted
    I hope the western world gets blown up.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-02-14 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am so glad I am no longer bound to the public education system, the amount of shit in it is absurd to an extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    I am so glad I am no longer bound to the public education system, the amount of shit in it is absurd to an extreme.
    It's not limited to the public schools.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    i would understand if it was work done through a universities funding by some postgraduates but at a school? thats taking too far
    Agreed. Thesis's, dissertations, postgraduate or doctoral work, okay I can see an argument for that.

But school children's work?

???

Are you fucking kidding me? This is a bit ridiculous. And why? What sort of "profit" are they protecting? I don't even get the point of this bill. And why would anything a child makes belong to the school? It belongs to the CREATOR of the content, not the administrators of the school.

What is going on with our copyrigth system?
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't imagine this getting by the NEA.