Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question [Mage] Valor point strategy 5.2

So we can cap out at 3k valor points before next patch and it doesn't change to valor. Most of the new valor items require rep (so probably a few weeks of lockouts). Is it best to either

(a) Cap 3k valor before 5.2 and save it for buying epics (not even sure what ilvl they are)

(b) Use all your valor to upgrade what you can before 5.2 and go into it with 0 valor.

And this is from the perspective of someone who's almost BiS and upgrading all heroic 509 pieces. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by audacitymage View Post
    So we can cap out at 3k valor points before next patch and it doesn't change to valor. Most of the new valor items require rep (so probably a few weeks of lockouts). Is it best to either

(a) Cap 3k valor before 5.2 and save it for buying epics (not even sure what ilvl they are)

(b) Use all your valor to upgrade what you can before 5.2 and go into it with 0 valor.

And this is from the perspective of someone who's almost BiS and upgrading all heroic 509 pieces. Thanks.
    you start at neutral which allows you to buy a 522 neck with hit/mastery on it. then at friendly you can buy a ring a trinket and bracers and according to a blue post yesterday getting to friendly is "essentially 1 boss kill"
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

At this moment in the PTR I would day take a look at the necks from Shado-pan Assault (ilvl 522), if they are good try to keep around 1250 VP and buy them at the start, they require you to be neutral. Rest unlocked at friendly and up, so you'll have some time to gather more VP.

Ofc this neutral requirement can (and I think most likely will) change now that we keep our VP, but for now this is what i advise my raiders

edit: pretty much what the guy above me said
    Last edited by Lustobject; 2013-02-14 at 12:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    according to a blue post yesterday getting to friendly is "essentially 1 boss kill"
    This is ridiculously unspecific. LFR is giving 300 rep per boss kill and "essentially 1 boss kill" would probably be 2000-2500 rep which seems like a lot for one boss.

I'm just hoping blizz will give us some specific numbers about rep from bosses and how soon we'll be able to get to the shado-pan assault vendor.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

While interesting, I'm more or less curious what this has to do specifically with Mages in any way.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    While interesting, I'm more or less curious what this has to do specifically with Mages in any way.
    Yeah same, I was sort of expecting an evaluation of the available valor point gear for mages >_>
    My hunch is you'll at least want to upgrade your tier and sha-touched weapon as you're not likely to be abandoning one until you have a four-set and the other until heroic, but past that I've not really looked at the gear lists in too much detail.

lol, wrong forum I guess...

But I believe the best strategy is cap valor first. Then, as patch 5.2 gets delayed, you spend some to upgrade your gear, but in a way that you still can enter 5.2 at valor cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    lol, wrong forum I guess...

But I believe the best strategy is cap valor first. Then, as patch 5.2 gets delayed, you spend some to upgrade your gear, but in a way that you still can enter 5.2 at valor cap.
    Pretty much, Like the neck alone is 12 Ilevel upgrade even if you have 2/2 upgraded neck as a mage atm, so unless you are still progressing its the most optimal way to do it. So basicly its way better in terms of Ilevel/valor than upgrade system atm.. and even the trinket from friendly, for most people its a huge upgrade, but even for BiS geared people its prolly gonna be pretty big dps upgrade.. Unless you are a troll playing arcane or frost xD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember the vp trinket has half the duration of EoT so I don't know how much better it will really be.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    Armory

Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    Remember the vp trinket has half the duration of EoT so I don't know how much better it will really be.
    Half the duration, half the ICD.. and it lines up with our other ICD trinkets at that point, so untill we start getting the RPPM trinkets, you can actually line up your cd's with both of your trinkets again, rather than 1 or the other most of the times

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Half the duration, half the ICD.. and it lines up with our other ICD trinkets at that point, so untill we start getting the RPPM trinkets, you can actually line up your cd's with both of your trinkets again, rather than 1 or the other most of the times
    I had not noticed the ICD >.< my bad.
    Armory

Deleted
    First of all, will trash give rep ?
    In any case I will aim to be 3k capped, buy neck and hope for friendly before i reach cap again, witch will be two weeks since neck prolly gonna cost 1250 valor, should be enough time to reach friendly

10+ Year Old Account
    This is ridiculously unspecific. LFR is giving 300 rep per boss kill and "essentially 1 boss kill" would probably be 2000-2500 rep which seems like a lot for one boss.

I'm just hoping blizz will give us some specific numbers about rep from bosses and how soon we'll be able to get to the shado-pan assault vendor.
    well dont blame me blame bashiok :P "Actually there are items at each reputation, even neutral, and getting to Friendly is (I believe) essentially just a single boss kill. It ramps up from there obviously, but you will have stuff to spend Valor on pretty quickly."
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Deleted
    ...LFR is giving 300 rep per boss kill...
    You should not forget that LFR will be open in the seconed week. So in the first week you need a normal raid to get Reputation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by audacitymage View Post
    this options dont get point, because on PTR atm i lost all my upgrade, so possible same in 5.2 live...if you have item with 2/2 upgrade(ilvl511), then you lost both upgrades and get item(ilvl503)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    You should not forget that LFR will be open in the seconed week. So in the first week you need a normal raid to get Reputation.
    I meant that if lfr is only giving 300 rep per boss it seems unlikely normal will give 2k+ per boss.

Quote Originally Posted by hardtotarget View Post
    this options dont get point, because on PTR atm i lost all my upgrade, so possible same in 5.2 live...if you have item with 2/2 upgrade(ilvl511), then you lost both upgrades and get item(ilvl503)
    You don't lost upgrades on the ptr its just the same bug that's causing gems to not show up in the tooltip. Our gear is not going to be reset to non-upgraded when 5.2 is released.
    Armory

I haven't had a chance to play on the PTR but any more info on this? I will have 3k valor at the end of this week, will we be able to spend it without capping next patch? Also does anyone have a link for the valor/rep rewards, thanks.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ue-Posts-Video

You can buy the Neck at Neutral (I'm guessing that will mean at once), which costs 1250. At Friendly (which I believe was said is reached quickly) you can already buy 2 Items.

This leads me to believe that yes, we con't be overcapping, even if we saved up the 3k.
    Sha of *Gay* Pride!

10+ Year Old Account
    You can buy the neck as soon as 5.2 is out because it only requires neutral rep. Reaching friendly lets you also buy the ring, bracers and trinket.

Trash will give rep up until some point around friendly. I can't find any clear information saying when trash rep will actually stop.

If it turns out you can get to friendly without killing any bosses I'm just going to buy the ring and trinket since they're the biggest upgrades for me.
    Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post
    First of all, will trash give rep ?
    In any case I will aim to be 3k capped, buy neck and hope for friendly before i reach cap again, witch will be two weeks since neck prolly gonna cost 1250 valor, should be enough time to reach friendly
    It was my impression that the mobs that are quest related give rep until revered. I could be wrong.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger