Thread: [TV] Vikings

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    History Channel? Surely they're going to find some way to tie this into aliens or nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    History Channel? Surely they're going to find some way to tie this into aliens or nazis.
    Odin?

Aliens

Nazi Vikings

Alien Nazi Vikings

We're all fucked

Looks interesting and am interested in Norse Mythology but sadly I don't have History Channel, hope they don't start making too much own assumptions and mostly keep it to what we actualy know.
    Your post doesn't deserve a slot in my thread! But it would make the perfect coaster for my drink!

Bloodsail Admiral KunkkaTheAdmiral's Avatar
    Please let it be historical correct or I'm gonna cry, atleast a little !
    "Why do we fight? To protect home and family, to preserve balance and bring harmony. For my kind the true question is, what is worth fighting for?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    Another pretty cool promo that was shown at the super bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlmSiRJZEco
    Following that link, I got an ad, for a promotional video. Adception.

Would have loved this five years ago, but now the sensationalized shit just annoys me.

Old God
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Hopefully it'll be like Spartacus. Dramatic, entertaining, and over the top but still historically accurate.
    A lot of Viking history is hard to be accurate about, it's qualified speculation most of the time based on archaeological findings, there isn't much written stuff to go by.

There is quite a bit of interesting things about the Vikings though, just look at place names in the UK for example, most obvious one being something that ends with -by, "By" is village/town in scandinavian languages, ie Selby. Or Gata/Gate, meaning street, ie "Westgate".

The Show looks pretty cool.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-02-16 at 12:12 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Iceland has the best kept records on viking history. Wasn't much else to do there but write.

Old God
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    Iceland has the best kept records on viking history. Wasn't much else to do there but write.
    The Sagas was written down some 100 years later though. It's a great read and a lot of great authors have drawn inspiration from them(Tolkien is really obvious, names etc) but as a scientific source they should still be taken with a grain of salt. It's both fantasy and reality mixed together imo. ;P
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quite a few norwegian actors in it I've heard.

---------- Post added 2013-02-16 at 02:41 PM ----------

Cool - I spent a few minutes reading up on the history of local kings from the district I come from. According to the Saga of Halvdan Svarte, written by Snorre - Ragnar fathered Sigurd who fathered Harald Hårfagre who with Åslaug had the son Sigurd Hjort who was a local king.

On a side note, Halvdan Svarte is buried on a field a few kilometers from where I live. Halvdan's guts/intestines was buried where he died in Hadeland where Sigurd Hjort was king.

So a show on H-Channel linked to local history?

Shut up and take my money.

And another promo! This was my favorite of them all for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=GR4W-FZMQFs

holy crap, that's a history channel show, looks like a showtime original series. very impressed if its anything like its preview i'll be very happy, and showtime execs are gonna be pissed.

The Insane
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Yay more overhyped Hollywood vikings... Will it never end?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Didn't Native americans slaughter the first Vikings that landed in Canada? They can't have been that tough if they lost to people using stone arrow heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Yay more overhyped Hollywood vikings... Will it never end?
    Nope. This is just the next Mobsters/Pirates/Vampires/Nazis. They have to do something "new" every now and then and milk it a bit, or else, well, look what happened to vampires? Sparkle! Vikings never really interested me, but at least it's something somewhat newish for TV. Anything but more vampires/mobsters/pirates/nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Didn't Native americans slaughter the first Vikings that landed in Canada? They can't have been that tough if they lost to people using stone arrow heads.
    could be due to being outnumbered. Even now, the amount of citizens in england, norway, sweden and denmark all put together wont even be close to 100 million people. Now, there were ALOT less people back in the vikin ages. IIRC i read in a history book at denmark had about 1 million in the viking ages (most likely less).

Much less could be transported all the way to canada. And i bet that fighting new and different enemies in a new terrain made it alot harder on the vikings.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

I see history channel has gone the way of MTV

Well, its nothing new really. They've been the "conspiracy" channel for some time. Haven't shown much of real history in a long time.

Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.
    [Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1521-3726-7197]

The Insane
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Yes, the first vikings who landed in North America were utterly slaughtered by "skraelings", the viking word for indians. And those indians might have used stone arrows, but they outnumbered them by thousands.

---------- Post added 2013-02-16 at 11:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Nope. This is just the next Mobsters/Pirates/Vampires/Nazis. They have to do something "new" every now and then and milk it a bit, or else, well, look what happened to vampires? Sparkle! Vikings never really interested me, but at least it's something somewhat newish for TV. Anything but more vampires/mobsters/pirates/nazis.
    Mother of God! The sparkle vikings are coming!

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

They didn't neccessarily have to be the battle-hardened raiders that rampaged across Europe. Very few in the society were actual warriors, and the term viking was a verb used to describe what the raiders were doing. Calling the whole civilization viking would really be about as accurate as calling pre-modern Japanese civilization samurai or ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    IIRC i read in a history book at denmark had about 1 million in the viking ages (most likely less).

You're probably very off on that. More likely around 200,000.

Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.