Thread: [TV] Vikings

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    The Sagas was written down some 100 years later though. It's a great read and a lot of great authors have drawn inspiration from them(Tolkien is really obvious, names etc) but as a scientific source they should still be taken with a grain of salt. It's both fantasy and reality mixed together imo. ;P
    Precisely. The sagas have some historical information, but they also have a lot of legend and fantasy mixed in(again, the primary source of historical info on Ragnar is the same source that lists his killing a DRAGON as one of his accomplishments, and also has him being descended from Odin), and they don't always even match up with the other sagas covering the same period.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I'm definitely going to give this a watch, but I have this gut feeling that I'm going to hate it for whatever reason. Neopagan romanticism and all.
    From what I've heard so far it's going to be through the eyes of the Norse, and for the most part culturally accurate. But this is just what I've heard, so I'll reserve my nitpicking every single inaccuracy of my ancestors for when it actually airs :P

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir1122 View Post
    From what I've heard so far it's going to be through the eyes of the Norse, and for the most part culturally accurate. But this is just what I've heard, so I'll reserve my nitpicking every single inaccuracy of my ancestors for when it actually airs :P
    Well, we don't know all that much about viking life, so it's tough to get stuff super accurate. I expect them to take a lot of liberties

Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Well, we don't know all that much about viking life, so it's tough to get stuff super accurate. I expect them to take a lot of liberties
    hm excuse me, what?

We do know a decent amount about the Norsemen of old.

history on the history channel omgerd
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

i really fucking hope they don't turn vikings into some bullshit where everyone is fucking every other person, and they can't go an episode without some sort of sexual tension. only fucking in this show better be the rape and pillage of english villages

Quote Originally Posted by Rainec View Post
    Not a stupid horned helmet in sight, I'll be giving this a watch.
    Lol, was going to mention that I was going to skip it if they tried to pull that shit off, being the history channel and all. I'm sure it will still be romanticized but it might be worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    hm excuse me, what?

We do know a decent amount about the Norsemen of old.
    We know a lot about their actions(as their raids and attacks and such were typically chronicled by the defenders as well as the Norsemen themselves, as were assaults on their holdings), their lifestyle and how they lived, their dress, arms, and armor, etc, but actual, historical information about many of their kings and leaders(including the one this series is about) really is fairly scare, plus as was already mentioned, much of it is derived from the sagas, which tend to blend fact and fantasy/myth rather liberally.

Just found out about this series the other day. Usually don't care for TV anymore but I'll give it a chance and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Looks cool..But WHAT THE HELL HISTORY CHANNEL! What happened to showing things that actually cover histor and not stuff like this..I miss their old documentary style structure or shows on actual history and so on.

Actually it;s one reason i stopped watching it LOL.
    Watch H2. More traditional History channel stuff.
    The Most Astounding Fact of the Universe

Invisible flying spaghetti monster in the sky bless America.

Over 9000!
    I'll give the first EP a 6/10. The accents are off putting but it's a pretty decent show. Lovely Irish landscapes to. ;P
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

8 min and 40 sec in and we have our first rape attempt. Seems like the show is historically accurate xD

Over 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    8 min and 40 sec in and we have our first rape attempt. Seems like the show is historically accurate xD
    Read this on imdb, it cracked me up.

The 'heroes' of this show butcher monks...
    by sarahb2 1 day ago (Tue Mar 5 2013 05:16:55)

...and we're supposed to be okay with that? I mean, I get that they're Vikings and that's the way they were, but after watching the second episode I think a lot of people are going to have a hard time seeing Ragnar as a good guy when he just stands there smiling while a group of terrified young monks are hacked to pieces. Since it's unlikely we'll ever see him be sorry for doing this (I mean, come on, he's a Viking), it sort of puts forth the idea that killing innocent people is OK if you're cool and badass.

Wouldn't it have been a better idea to just take all the gold and leave the monks alive, to spread the word of their bold deeds? They still could have burned the monastery and turned the monks out, just not killed all (or most) of them. I'm sure it's historically accurate, it just makes Ragnar more ambiguous as a hero. It's hard to admire or like someone who has no problem slaughtering innocents.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-03-06 at 10:48 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I am Murloc!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Read this on imdb, it cracked me up.
    please tell me that guy was kidding
    You're a fine example of how gamer communities have become infested with endlessly whining and bitching, arrogant, opinionated, unreasonable, all the way immature, completely delusional, tendentially psychotic, insulting individuals one really doesn't want to be linked with. And playing with you guys is certainly no fun at all. I don't know where this kind of folks spawns from. Must be a nest somewhere ...
    A fine summarization of the community

Herald of the Titans breadisfunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    they kinda.. ran out.. like i said a while ago on some thread that basically you can only show so many world war 2 documentaries before people just stop watching all together.

they pretty much figured out that they would get like three times the viewers for ancient aliens then they would for world war 2 nazi dreams of horribleness the reimagining that you thought you knew that you didnt actually know the third remixxed version O-O
    except there are plenty of historical topics to cover. world war i,civil war, the various wars rome got into. the peloponnesian war,alexander,ghengis khan,the japanese feudal wars, the history of china the vietnam war, the korean war,the cambodian genocide under pol pot,etc etc. they just chose not to and now they simply show reality tv shows that appeal to the masses with little to absolutely no historical basis whatsoever. the history channel is dead to me.

i watched the vikings show for about 20 minutes and got bored with it. wasnt nearly as interesting as their hatfields and mccoy segment or the men who built america.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-03-07 at 04:39 AM.

I liked the show cant wait for more kinda reminds me of Game of Thrones and who the hell cares if hes an ass. There are alot of asses in Game of Thrones yet people still watch it dont they?
    Last edited by Hellravager; 2013-03-07 at 04:44 AM.

Going to be giving this series a try soon. I've been banking some episodes on my DVR for when I'm bored. Looks pretty good from what I've seen online!

Tonight's episode was good, Ragnar's wife is amazing and im guessing the actress is authentic Scandinavian? her accent sounded similar. Looking forward to the episode next weekend.
    I Serve Only Sargeras.

I do wonder about the standards of which historical atrocities are ok to portray.

For example, it's ok to show Norse butchering Christian monks, but would a series that depicts Christians butchering Muslims in the 3rd Crusade, and depicts the Crusaders as the bad-ass protagonists, be as well-received as Ragnar is?

Or perhaps a series about a ragtag bunch of badass Spaniards who butcher, rape, and pillage their way across the Aztec Empire?

Or maybe a dark, edgy show about SS death squads and the drama of their lives murdering Jews in Poland?

Don't get me wrong, I'll end up watching Vikings, but it is interesting how it's ok to root for protagonists who slaughter some groups over others.

Time to watch ep2. Just the theme song made by a swedish electro girl got me sold even before the first frames

Quote Originally Posted by TooMuch View Post
    Like said before, I am in Boston this week and if you are the big man you claim to be, come visit me. I'll PM you the hotel and room number. Let's see if you are such a hero in real life too, like you claim to be.
    [WoT] WN8: 2,219 WR: 59% [WoT]