Deleted

Blocking connections on a Wireless network

Hello everyone,

Basically, there are some guys here that are downloading stuff nearly 24/7 rendering the connecting pratically useless, and i want to block/timeout them for a while. The router is an ASUS WL-AM604g, and i think i've done it with denying their MAC adresses, but i'm not sure if that really does anything... Anyone out there that has some know-how on these subjects? How can i block them for good (if the MAC blocking is not working)?

Some help would be appreciated, because this is driving me insane... I can't even buffer Youtube videos, and my Teamspeak ping is nearly at 500ms at all times -.-

I think the lower part is perhaps blocking the IP of a site so no one on you network can reach that outside IP.

The MAC adress blocking should be fine for what you are trying to do.
    I also see you have a bandwidth management tab that you perhaps could use to limit them a bit if you don't want to block them completely.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Blocking their MAC addresses should do it. Of course if they are knowledgeable enough, they can always change that. I wouldn't bother to block IP addresses. I'm assuming the router is handing out DHCP addresses so whatever IP addresses they have now could change. If you want to block them permanently, just change the wireless security key. If you aren't using any type of security (WPA, WPA2, etc) then you are just going to keep having these problems with an open wireless network.

why not setup a password and take there internets? or are you a student living in a appartement?

still i suggest you talk it over with em first. and if it's your internet soly and the don't listen disable the wifi and use a cable.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I think the lower part is perhaps blocking the IP of a site so no one on you network can reach that outside IP.

The MAC adress blocking should be fine for what you are trying to do.
    I also see you have a bandwidth management tab that you perhaps could use to limit them a bit if you don't want to block them completely.
    That tab is nearly useless, it's just a "power-up" type of tab so that the router handles gaming/internet browsing/VoIP traffic with priority. Doesn't serve what i'm trying to do... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Solym View Post
    Blocking their MAC addresses should do it. Of course if they are knowledgeable enough, they can always change that. I wouldn't bother to block IP addresses. I'm assuming the router is handing out DHCP addresses so whatever IP addresses they have now could change. If you want to block them permanently, just change the wireless security key. If you aren't using any type of security (WPA, WPA2, etc) then you are just going to keep having these problems with an open wireless network.
    The thing is... This is a shared house, we're at the University, etc, etc... I just want to block them for a while, so i can do my stuff with no trouble... Although we're all paying for the Internet, they shouldn't hog it all for themselves, and let the others get crap.

Also, it seems to be working so far... My Teamspeak ping is at normal levels, connection quality maxed out.

I know this sounds like a douche move, but i want to use the Internet aswell...

Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    why not setup a password and take there internets? or are you a student living in a appartement?

still i suggest you talk it over with em first. and if it's your internet soly and the don't listen disable the wifi and use a cable.
    I tried to, they said: "We don't download stuff, it's probably someone else.". The Internet is shared, like i said above.
    Last edited by mmoc707bc56263; 2013-02-14 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r0cki View Post
    The thing is... This is a shared house, we're at the University, etc, etc... I just want to block them for a while, so i can do my stuff with no trouble... Although we're all paying for the Internet, they shouldn't hog it all for themselves, and let the others get crap.

Also, it seems to be working so far... My Teamspeak ping is at normal levels, connection quality maxed out.

I know this sounds like a douche move, but i want to use the Internet aswell...
    In that case, I think you should just talk to them, and set a schedule where they have to get off the connection. I know you said you tried talking to them, but are you sure it's them? Why would they deny using up all the bandwidth. Regardless, if you are all paying for it you should have a schedule for it so everyone can access it when they need to. You said it yourself, everyone's paying for it so it should be shared. You're kind of taking the passive aggressive route by just trying to lock them out.
    Last edited by Mashpotaters; 2013-02-14 at 04:30 AM.

Most torrent clients and such have in built scheduler functionality; it is not difficult to merely limit one's downloads to the portion of the day when people are sleeping/absent for classes or work. If the individuals responsible are unwilling to do such a thing, then your problem is one of lacking mutual respect and not needed to sneak about. While I can't say I'd ever find myself in this situation, but if someone did to me what you are trying to do, I imagine it would lead to a rapid war of escalation >.>

The other option, if you live in a suitable area for such things, would be to pull out of paying for the group internet and use a personal wireless broadband option; often they can be suitably fast and quite cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    How many people are we talking here, like.. 3-4 or like 20?

If it's just a few... Print out the connected IPs, and ask to see if they download stuff on bittorrent. If they refuse, tell them to get their own internet connection. If they DO have bittorent, simply change the settings so they get their share (1/4 or whatever) of the internet. BT is really the only thing that would hose a net connection like that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Sorry, but we don't really allow these types of threads.

If they're also paying for the connection they are just as entitled to using it as you are.