Page 1 of 2
LastLast

First Computer build

So I have wanted to build a computer for sometime, and with the help of the good ol' tax returns, I have enough to do so.

I made a list on Newegg that was rather close to the narwhal build this month. The only issue is I am a bit over my price and I am not sure where I should cut or where I could get a better deal on some of the pieces. I am going to use this computer as my designated gaming and recording pc (As I always have wanted to try the streaming and 'lets play' videos but never had the best hardware to do so.

The wishlist number is 26760447 (Can't post a link because I am new.)

I am a bit unsure if the power supply will still be a good choice with the i7, but I went with a 2gb video card instead of the 3gb the guide offered.

I really wanted to get this all for as close to a $1k as possible (Give or take $100) but this is seeming less and less possible as I notice I still need to get the OS (Windows 7 preferred), a monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse at the very least. Speakers are optional as I can just use my headset until I can afford a set.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am bit bummed about how expensive this is turning out to be, especially as a similar build would have cost a bit less about two months ago.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you want a i7?

Is this your list?
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=26760447

You really don't need to spend $60 on a cooler if you aren't going to overclock(the CPU is locked).
    There is no need to spend $90 on a 650W PSU if you are running a tight budget.
    The 7950 is pretty expensive and you could get something like a 7870XT instead for about $240.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-14 at 03:35 AM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    $60 cooler isn't needed if you don't intend to overclock.

650W PSU is a bit overkill. 500w should do fine

Unless you're dead set on a Core i7, i'd go with the 3570k (and actually overclock it), if you're not going to overclock, just go for a 3570 or 3350P

Z77 board isn't necessary if you don't intend to overclock. B75 would be better for that.

An SSD would be suggested. Of course, ontop of your 1tb HD.

7870 XT would be cheaper and it's reasonably close to 7950 performance for the price.
    Last edited by Killora; 2013-02-14 at 03:48 AM.

Yes, that is my list. An as I said, I was really just following the months build guide, I am inexperienced when it comes to building a computer from the ground up, and the only reason I placed the i7 in was because I plan to record and edit video and was told the i7 was the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by scar12166 View Post
    Yes, that is my list. An as I said, I was really just following the months build guide, I am inexperienced when it comes to building a computer from the ground up, and the only reason I placed the i7 in was because I plan to record and edit video and was told the i7 was the way to go.
    The i7 is better when it comes rendering the videos after you have edited them, you get something like 15-20% faster rendering. Are you going to render so much material that you think it is worth an extra $100 that you could've spent on something else?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    $60 cooler isn't needed if you don't intend to overclock.

650W PSU is a bit overkill. 500w should do fine

Unless you're dead set on a Core i7, i'd go with the 3570k (and actually overclock it), if you're not going to overclock, just go for a 3570 or 3350P

Z77 board isn't necessary if you don't intend to overclock. B75 would be better for that.

An SSD would be suggested. Of course, ontop of your 1tb HD.

7870 XT would be cheaper and it's reasonably close to 7950 performance for the price.
    I really didn't want to mess around with overclocking. Part of it is because I don't trust myself to put such an expensive piece so close to the point of destruction. An I was debating on the SSD, will it make that big of a difference?

An n0cturnal, my buddy must have been misinformed, so I would be ok with an i5 if the most I would be doing is using fraps to record, than editing it in sony vegas before upload?

An n0cturnal, my buddy must have been misinformed, so I would be ok with an i5 if the most I would be doing is using fraps to record, than editing it in sony vegas before upload?
    Yeah the 3570K is good enough for that, it will take some extra time rendering but it will hardly be a noticeable difference while recording or editing.

I made a build for you that will have almost the same performance but includes a SSD, Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard for just a bit more money.
    I know it is a bit over your budget but have a look and say what you think.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.79 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.68 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor ($134.98 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($41.99 @ Newegg)
    Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($34.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1176.27
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-13 22:53 EST-0500)

This build has the possibility of overclocking since I hadn't read your comment while making it, you can change that and save like $40-50.

The 620W PSU is a bit overkill but it comes at a really good price so there is really no reason to go for something less.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-14 at 03:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really didn't want to mess around with overclocking. Part of it is because I don't trust myself to put such an expensive piece so close to the point of destruction. An I was debating on the SSD, will it make that big of a difference?
    An SSD like a Samsung 840 pro or an OCZ vertex 3 would make a big difference. Not necessarily for game framerates, but overall system performance it'd help dramatically. Especially for OS boot times.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Yeah the 3570K is good enough for that, it will take some extra time rendering but it will hardly be a noticeable difference while recording or editing.

I made a build for you that will have almost the same performance but includes a SSD, Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard for just a bit more money.
    I know it is a bit over your budget but have a look and say what you think.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.79 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.68 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor ($134.98 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($41.99 @ Newegg)
    Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($34.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1176.27
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-13 22:53 EST-0500)

This build has the possibility of overclocking since I hadn't read your comment while making it, you can change that and save like $40-50.

The 620W PSU is a bit overkill but it comes at a really good price so there is really no reason to go for something less.
    A B75 motherboard with a 3350P or 3570 processor should suffice for a non overclocking setup
    Last edited by Killora; 2013-02-14 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    An SSD like a Samsung 840 pro or an OCZ vertex 3 would make a big difference. Not necessarily for game framerates, but overall system performance it'd help dramatically. Especially for OS boot times.

A B75 motherboard with a 3350P or 3570 processor should suffice for a non overclocking setup
    Rather nifty site, wish I would have found it sooner! An of the two non overclocking processors, which is the better buy? I am currently switching the motherboard on the list to a B75.

Rather nifty site, wish I would have found it sooner! An of the two non overclocking processors, which is the better buy? I am currently switching the motherboard on the list to a B75.
    The 3570 is a bit more powerful since it is higher clocked but with the 3350p you get more for your money.

You can also remove the CPU cooler if you have no plans on overclocking. The cooler that comes boxed with the CPU is decent and works perfectly fine for a non overclocked CPU, if you later on find the noise of it irritating you could add another cooler.

I've messed with the list a bit and got the price to $1155.03 after all the fees and such, I would post the info but I cannot post links yet. I had to add in the case from the original build as the list didn't have one yet. I chose the 3350p and removed the cooler.

I've messed with the list a bit and got the price to $1155.03 after all the fees and such, I would post the info but I cannot post links yet. I had to add in the case from the original build as the list didn't have one yet. I chose the 3350p and removed the cooler.
    Oh damn sorry bout that, I blame that on the time, 05:47am here

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Oh damn sorry bout that, I blame that on the time, 05:47am here
    No worries! You have been a life saver, both of you guys! I am really glad I chose this site to search for help, much friendlier and more helpful than some of the others I have tried.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it matters, the i5-3570K can be overclocked decently on even a stock cooler. I have mine currently kicked up to 3.8 (from 3.4) with no noticable difference. I think WoW running on Ultra gets to about 55c. So even if you aren't comfortable, or don't want to pick up a big boy cooler yet, you can still get some pretty significant benefits from an OC CPU.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If it matters, the i5-3570K can be overclocked decently on even a stock cooler. I have mine currently kicked up to 3.8 (from 3.4) with no noticable difference. I think WoW running on Ultra gets to about 55c. So even if you aren't comfortable, or don't want to pick up a big boy cooler yet, you can still get some pretty significant benefits from an OC CPU.
    I agree with this.

These days GPU's and CPU's are pretty hard to fry. Unless you're overheating them constantly or cranking up that voltage way too high you wont have issues with it. Aslong as you thoroughly test for stability and make sure it's not running too hot theres nothing to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, long gone are the days of using a high graphite content 0.2 mechanical pencil to draw electrical bridges on CPUs. Those were fun, but not nearly as easy as clicking a button in BIOS, and having the safety of auto-downclock and auto-shutdown features. You really have to do some work to break a CPU.

This may take some of the cool/street cred out of the process, but we can all agree that the performance you can crank out CPU's now easily is likely an acceptable tradeoff.

You can see in my sig what OC'ing is all about. >.>
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Just on the topic of breaking cpu's is hard my laptop is a prime example its 4 year old tech and just browsing the web its cranking 65-70c (which is absolutely horrible, poor thing is dying) but its been abused for the last 4 years and even still is kicking just fine for its current uses. New tech can take some serious abuse and still function. (Full load i've brought this cpu up to 107c without it frying (god knows how)).

Before I decide to order the parts tonight, I noticed I was getting a compatibility issue on the site. "ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports."

They said it is a minor issue, should I be concerned or is everything still ok?

Before I decide to order the parts tonight, I noticed I was getting a compatibility issue on the site. "ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports."

They said it is a minor issue, should I be concerned or is everything still ok?
    All that means is that when you hookup the USB ports on the front of your case to the MoBo, they will be USB 2.0 not 3.0. Not a big deal unless you have some crazy need for tons of USB 3.0 ports for whatever. The ones on the back are generally enough for mouse/keyboard and anything else you need 3.0 on. For Flash Drives and getting pics/vids of cameras/phones the 2.0 is good enough, if it isn't, you can plug into the back. I don't think I have ever really used my front USB ports for anything anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    All that means is that when you hookup the USB ports on the front of your case to the MoBo, they will be USB 2.0 not 3.0. Not a big deal unless you have some crazy need for tons of USB 3.0 ports for whatever. The ones on the back are generally enough for mouse/keyboard and anything else you need 3.0 on. For Flash Drives and getting pics/vids of cameras/phones the 2.0 is good enough, if it isn't, you can plug into the back. I don't think I have ever really used my front USB ports for anything anyway.
    I thought that was what it was talking about, and that I can live with. The only major thing I would like a 3.0 for would be my external drive, which has been working just fine in a back 2.0 port on this computer.