Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    This GPU can handle "ultra" settings with I5 procesor without any overclocking... Don't think that overclocking GPU will help with such poor CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dzidek View Post
    This GPU can handle "ultra" settings with I5 procesor without any overclocking... Don't think that overclocking GPU will help with such poor CPU.
    Fairly certain i said that

Even though your GPU is A issue but not THE issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting a Q6600 will increase the FPS a little, but definitely not worth it, because you're upgrading from "Crap" to "Meh". You are much better off just dealing with it for a few months, saving money, and getting a decent CPU/MB/RAM upgrade. You can get a VERY respectable setup for $200 (i3, m/b, 8gb ram) and even have an upgrade path to an i5.

Why should I overclock my GPU if graphic card is not an issue. CPU is. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Your graphics card IS an issue. It's simply not the biggest one at this moment. Your card is only about as powerful as a $100 budget card by now, and has worse technology and optimization.

If you're getting 20fps on low though... that.. .seems odd. Have you reinstalled wow recently? Made sure everything is all clean?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Cheapest way is just to overclock your CPU.
    E4500 should easily go above 3GHz (stock voltage), probably upto 3.4Ghz (50% increase!), or even more.. but then it's more voltage required = danger of someone playing with stuff he's not good at.
    You might need better cooler then stock though. Although at 3GHz, stock might still suffice. Check your temps while playing! General rule of thumb - upto 60C it's fine. Upto 50C is perfect. Above 70C, and you're asking for trouble.
    Even at 3GHz, it's quite big difference to stock speed, as your system is primarily bound by your CPU.
    Upgrading to Q6600 is not good idea, as WoW barely uses 1.5 core (or even less), so other 2 cores will remain 'empty' - aka, wasting money from your wallet

Also, for settings, keep shadows at 'fair', and keep SSAO disabled. Anti-alias is fine for 2x.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need only 5-10 fps more. Is it worth 100, 200 or 300+ euro?
    You will get 30 more for the 115 euro I laid out.

5 more fps will not mean a smooth and playable experience. If your average is 20, then you're nearly guaranteed to get fps drops that take you down to a slideshow-like 10.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Deleted
    Don't worry about your GPU, Yes it is old and DX 10 but it is more than enough for WoW. If you want to waste your money for about 10% gain in performance at medium~ settings then buy the Q6600. If you want to increase your performance by a huge margin then buy a cheap H61 socket 1155 motherboard, 4gb of DDR3 RAM and an Intel Pentium G620/G840. I don't know where you live but here in the UK that bundle would ship for just under £100 with the more expensive CPU i listed (G840) and is a worthy upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Your graphics card IS an issue. It's simply not the biggest one at this moment. Your card is only about as powerful as a $100 budget card by now, and has worse technology and optimization.
    His graphics card isn't really an issue, and his FPS drops are in raids, which is entirely CPU/RAM limited.

If you're getting 20fps on low though... that.. .seems odd. Have you reinstalled wow recently? Made sure everything is all clean?
    20fps in raids is entirely expected with his E4500 at stock. One thing he can do right away is replace Recount with Skada, as Recount kills FPS like crazy.

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    Don't worry about your GPU, Yes it is old and DX 10 but it is more than enough for WoW. If you want to waste your money for about 10% gain in performance at medium~ settings then buy the Q6600. If you want to increase your performance by a huge margin then buy a cheap H61 socket 1155 motherboard, 4gb of DDR3 RAM and an Intel Pentium G620/G840. I don't know where you live but here in the UK that bundle would ship for just under £100 with the more expensive CPU i listed (G840) and is a worthy upgrade.
    Seconded. My brother just got a new system with a G840 and a 7750 and it runs wow like a dream, everything on Ultra except shadows at good, 60+ fps everywhere.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

@Killora, thanks for your posts. I really appreciate that you're trying to help me

In general I know that my PC is crap. But cmon, we are talking about almost nine year old game. My phone can handle it. (hmm in matter of fact I've just realized that my phone has quad core... ). Buying new PC is the easiest solution. I can afford to buy new one for 300 or 600 euro. But I don't want to. I'm too old for gaming. Over the past five years the only game which I played was WoW. If there is no other solution, I'll buy new one. Or switch back to laptop. But I do not want to believe that this PC can't give more than 20 fps in 25 man raid combat.

chazu first ask about sth else than hardware. On my guild forum, folks gave some other usefull advices than buying new one. Maybe we can go in this direction?

@Nick7
    I've just bought new chieftec 600w. With this and stanard cooling can I go up to 3Ghz?? I ask, because I have no idea about it.
    Last edited by dzidek; 2013-02-14 at 09:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In general I know that my PC is crap. But cmon, we are talking about almost nine year old game.
    No, it's not. The game itself is almost nine years old, however a LOT has changed since then. There is a lot of hardware that cannot run it anymore, and a lot more that could run it well, that cannot so well anymore. My computer that I started WoW on cannot even play it anymore. It's incompatible. So.. that's ... not accurate.

I'm not saying buying a new one is the answer, rather a better solution than upgrading to something that still isn't great. $200 isn't ... THAT much money. And the benefit would help with all computer use, not just gaming.

I'm too old for gaming
    I'm not sure what that even means, but it made me chuckle. If you're too old for gaming, why was this thread even made?

Seriously though, there are E7600's on ebay for about $50. My system that I just upgraded from about 4 months ago, running an E7500 (100mhz less than 7600) S775, which I believe your board would support. I also had a GeForce 460 as well. Regardless, that system ran WoW on Good settings very nicely.

There are also E7500's for about $42 as well on there. I'd say I'd sell you mine, but I kinda need it to pawn off my old gaming system soon >.>

The Q6600 is a poor choice because it's just more cores, and not much more speed.

So basically you're looking at

1) Overclocking your current CPU, if you can.
    2) Getting a better CPU (I'd recommend either a E7400-7600 or E8400-8600)
    3) Upgrading your MB/CPU/RAM
    4) Other options?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    @Killora, thanks for your posts. I really appreciate that you're trying to help me
    No problem.

Unfortunately, i don't really think overclocking it to 3ghz will solve your problem much. Sure, you might gain 5 FPS at most, but 25 FPS is still going to feel like crap.

The Q6600 won't do any better than overclocking your current. Laundry list of problems including architecture.

I wish there was a realistic solution other than to replace parts, but i don't really think there is.

Also, 9 year old game or not, it's recieved MASSIVE graphics and engine improvements since it's original release. Your system would run vanilla wow as easy as a hot knife cuts through butter. But even on lowest settings the newest iteration of WoW is significantly prettier and demanding than vanilla.

Not sure if your card can run physx but if it's not already it may help take some load off of the CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Unfortunately, i don't really think overclocking it to 3ghz will solve your problem much. Sure, you might gain 5 FPS at most, but 25 FPS is still going to feel like crap..
    Overclocking may be a solution. The 4500 is abysmally slow. 2.2ghz. That might be enough to get 40fps, which would make it tolerable.

I just overclocked my i5-3570K from 3.4 to 3.8 today, and it pushed me from 70 to 80fps on Ultra. Thats more than 10%, on something already kicked up fairly well. Going from 2.2 to 3.0 (if... thats doable) would probably be looking at 20-30fps... Maybe.

It wouldn't hurt trying. It's free, after all. Kick it up in 200mhz cranks, and see how the temp runs.

The $40-50 E7xxx or E8xxx is also a cheap fix, if you REALLY think you won't ever upgrade again and are giving up gaming this year.

@chazus
    Thanks for great advice I'll try overclock it before buying new one. I'm to old meant that I do not play anything else besides WoW
    Reading for today: "How to overclock E4500. For dummies."

@Killora
    25-30fps in raid combat will be good enough for me Next lesson for me: "What the heck is physx?" ;]

10+ Year Old Account

@Killora
    25-30fps in raid combat will be good enough for me Next lesson for me: "What the heck is physx?" ;]
    PhysX is basically an Nvidia feature that allows the GPU to take over some of the Physics calculations the CPU is normally tasked with.

So how can I switch in on?

It doesn't work for WoW.

Seriously though, take kojinshugi's advice. It's the best one of this thread.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    PhysX is basically an Nvidia feature that allows the GPU to take over some of the Physics calculations the CPU is normally tasked with.
    You can't just use PhysX willy-nilly. The game has to support it and WoW doesn't. And even if the game supports it, it doesn't really take the load from the CPU because those effects weren't even being run on the CPU in the first place.

Deleted
    25-30fps in raid combat will be good enough for me
    Even on low settings there is no affordable CPU on socket 775 that will do that on most intensive fights. If you spend £100 on a new Motherboard, CPU and RAM you will be able to raid 25 mans on medium to high without dipping below 20FPS too often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    You can't just use PhysX willy-nilly. The game has to support it and WoW doesn't. And even if the game supports it, it doesn't really take the load from the CPU because those effects weren't even being run on the CPU in the first place.
    Yeah, i forgot WoW doesn't support PhysX.

Sorry

First I'll try to OC it.

Then I'll consider buyin new parts... Guided by kojinshugi
    Last edited by dzidek; 2013-02-15 at 02:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remind me what Motherboard you have?
    Keep in mind... I'm not familiar with if/how much those Core 2 Duo's can overclock.