Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Thoughts on the Next Big MMO?

8 year wow player here. Honestly I'm just waiting for the next big MMO to come out. Any thoughts or suggestions on what that might be?

10+ Year Old Account
    Elder Scrolls Online for sure.

I already got rid of WoW. Got bored. But everything I have seen for ESO has been anything and everything I could want from an Elder Scrolls MMO. It merges the two game types together so perfectly. I am pretty stoked.
    Last edited by cpillow; 2013-02-14 at 07:49 AM.

Elder Scrolls Online looks to be "the big one" by all accounts. Massive budget, AAA production, well known brand, aimed at the mass market. Probably the most mainstream being released in the next 2 years or so.

Wildstar looks fantastic too. Though will be a smaller game than the above.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-14 at 07:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope that it doesn't go down the drain like Rift or SWTOR....the supposed "WoW-killers".

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Meh, when i see a beta combat video and a summary, i will decide, so far i'm not hyped up about that game at all
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Meh, when i see a beta combat video and a summary, i will decide, so far i'm not hyped up about that game at all
    Right but the topic is what is the next big mmo, whether you like it or not doesn't it stop it from being the next big mmo.

the next big MMORPG will be one that completely throws out the hotkey combat system for something more kinetic(like GOW-style actionRPG) while still maintaining the rest and pushing more personal story crafted by the player.

i could see the elder scrolls MMORPG being big, IF they deliver on their extravagant promises.

something i've noticed is more actiony MMORPGs working to try and get controller support for their games, so the first game to actually make the controller a viable play method will have a major advantage.

cause atm they've been fucking it up, not using the analog movement of the joysticks(tera im looking at you), making the camera control(one game had the camera controlled by the D. pad, and no the right thumb stick wasn't even used at all for anything in the game) or the skill set up(one game had you most common attack be L1+X/square+A/X, A/X was the "commit selected action" button for ALL THE SKILLS).

and nearly all of them don't allow you to change the control setup completely.
    it clear that these people don't even know how to work with the thing.
    Last edited by mordale; 2013-02-14 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpillow View Post
    I just hope that it doesn't go down the drain like Rift or SWTOR....the supposed "WoW-killers".
    Rift wasn't positioned as a WOW-killer. Also Rift still thrives with a huge expansion, active population, highly regraded PVP & development as well as maintaining a sub fee where other bugger budgeted titles had to go free-2-play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rift_%2...ontent_updates

Rift is a fairly successful & critically well regarded.

SWTOR wasn't a "WOW killer" either.

Don't mistake fan enthusiasm for marketing. Only 2-3 MMOs have ever been positioned in the market as a "WOW Killer" or directly competing for the same player base World of Warcraft attracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Don't mistake fan enthusiasm for marketing. Only 2-3 MMOs have ever been positioned in the market as a "WOW Killer" or directly competing for the same player base World of Warcraft attracts.
    There has been only one mmo in the past 5 years that could have had any chance at that. It had the IP, huge fan base, top notch developer, and timing of when it launched. If that game didn't put a dent into WoW's fan base, no game ever will.

But you know what, that's ok. As long as a game is good and has a healthy population then everything is alright in the gaming world (except for those folks wanting a wow killer for whatever reason).

Rift wasn't positioned as a WOW-killer.

SWTOR wasn't a "WOW killer" either.
    bullshit, on both accounts.

did you even see the rift ads? they were gunning for killing WoW, or at the very least were mocking it.

and as for Sw:toR the devs themselves claimed they were going for WoW's head.

Rift wasn't positioned as a WOW-killer.
    "You're not in Azeroth anymore."

Ring a bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbleem View Post
    "You're not in Azeroth anymore."

Ring a bell?
    Well...were you in Azeroth?

TESO will be big, doesn't mean it'll be good. Be tentative for best results...
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont read into any of it and make up your own mind
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Elder Scrolls Online
    WildStar
    ArcheAge

Those are the 3 I look forward to the most at the moment. I'm following a bunch of f2p mmorpg's aswell. One being Neverwinter, it looks pretty solid, albeit not very innovative.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

What about that new "Neverwinter" MMO?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Incognito Noctix View Post
    Elder Scrolls Online
    WildStar
    ArcheAge

Those are the 3 I look forward to the most at the moment. I'm following a bunch of f2p mmorpg's aswell. One being Neverwinter, it looks pretty solid, albeit not very innovative.
    Blade and Soul? anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    What about that new "Neverwinter" MMO?
    It's basically a new MMORPG currently in closed beta. It's not really a continuation of the Neverwinter Nights series or anything, just a pretty standard MMORPG.
    As said, it looks really solid but doesn't really bring much new to the genre. It's sorta hack'n'slashy from what I could see, but not in the same style as TERA.

Quote Originally Posted by fixz0 View Post
    Blade and Soul? anyone?
    Another one I'm following atm My bookmarks folder with upcoming MMO's is pretty big.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz