Random lag spikes

Recently my laptop that i had for awhile with no problems had an unfortunate accident involving a dog breaking a table leg and getting smashed/ 1lt bottle of water burst open all over, so i went to insurance and they gave me a new laptop only thing is i have really random lag spikes it's a windows 8 pc on my old windows 7 i would average 150ms (I am in Nz that is considered a reasonably good ping for oceanic players) now i sit at a steady 190 but it will spike upto 1700 the spikes are not consistent in any means and sometimes vary from a few seconds to getting kicked off the server.

This problem also happens with skype league of legends and youtube videos sadly i did not get much of a say in the computer because my insurance company deals with one company for computers and this is the model they said was equivilant to my computer and basicly just gave it to me, here is a link to the computer so far this is all i really know http://www.hpshopping.co.nz/acquire/...=2743932&tab=0. i can't figure out the issue at all i am running on wireless i have not checked to see if it happens connected to the modem but the modem does sit in the next room with nothing much but a thin wall between it and my computer.

I am at a loss as to what i can do to solve this issue but it is making it impossible to commit to anything more then running dailies and even then that can be difficult, so i hope someone out there who has better knowledge of things then me can help me out here I will check this forum often and try help answer all the questions i can to give more information.
    I'm a little ninja, short and stout I take all the loot and I hearthstone out All the guys on teamspeak scream and shout I'm the warrior in full devout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure sounds like an internet problem.

But i'd try hooking directly to the modem to make sure. If you still have the problems than it's likely your internet. If you don't then it could be either your modem or your network card.

How's your signal to the modem?

i have just gone and plugged into the modem now sometimes i can have fine connection for upto n hour or more lol umm my signal is usualy full sometimes it's 1bar from full
    I'm a little ninja, short and stout I take all the loot and I hearthstone out All the guys on teamspeak scream and shout I'm the warrior in full devout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulaenyth View Post
    i have just gone and plugged into the modem now sometimes i can have fine connection for upto n hour or more lol umm my signal is usualy full sometimes it's 1bar from full
    So does this mean direct connection fixes it?

not sure yet i am trying to direct connection now been on it for about 10mins so far seems allright loading up wow to monitor my ping through that

Deleted
    I'm a programmer, not a sys admin, so take this with a pinch of salt. I have had similar problems, but not so often. I haven't tracked it down yet, but I have found some suspects:
    - out of date addons
    - out of date drivers/bios (these can be picked up on the pc manufacturers website)

Also, have you considered talking with the insurance company and telling them your issues. Its their responsibility to provide an equivalent replacement. Sounds to me like they straight up failed to do that to your satisfaction. Tell them?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    I'm a programmer, not a sys admin, so take this with a pinch of salt. I have had similar problems, but not so often. I haven't tracked it down yet, but I have found some suspects:
    - out of date addons
    - out of date drivers/bios (these can be picked up on the pc manufacturers website)

Also, have you considered talking with the insurance company and telling them your issues. Its their responsibility to provide an equivalent replacement. Sounds to me like they straight up failed to do that to your satisfaction. Tell them?
    they replaced me 3 year old 850 dollar laptop with a 1899 dollar laptop, don't want to push my luck to much in this department, i have gone through and updated my wireless drivers the day i got the computer through the intell site

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 11:30 AM ----------

Ok so been sitting plugged in for awhile now and i am at a steady 145ms so now i guess i need to figure out what the problem is with my wireless

Still having problems with my internet between my wirless and computer i am not sure if it is something to do with settings or what wondering if anyone might have some ideas on what could be the issue

10+ Year Old Account
    Still having problems with my internet between my wirless and computer i am not sure if it is something to do with settings or what wondering if anyone might have some ideas on what could be the issue
    Do you have another computer to connect with to test if it's the router or not?

Yes i borrwed my fathers laptop nothing seems to be the issue with his laptop

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes i borrwed my fathers laptop nothing seems to be the issue with his laptop
    Do you have any USB WLAN devices? Connect via that on your laptop and see if it helps.

No sadly i do not know any and have called around but can't find one that i could borrow

10+ Year Old Account
    No sadly i do not know any and have called around but can't find one that i could borrow
    Well, i can't imagine what else it could be other than your laptop network card. Cause that's exactly what it sounds like.