Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wetfred View Post
    Hey all, first post. I played Rift when it came out but all my friends were still playing Wow. I liked the game but didn't resub. I want to resub but am reading about possible changes coming. Do you think it would be safe to get the annual sub?
    Like Edge said, that's a large risk on an unknown for yourself. I would also try it out for one month before you make a larger sub for the discount. After my first month I signed up for the 6 month when it was on special for $60.00. I was hesitant, but it's looking like it will be worth it.

After getting burned with WoW's AP, I will never amke such a large commitment unless it is a lifetime memebership like LotRO had. Still kicking myself for missing out on that.
    BAD WOLF

Ok. Thanks. I'll get SL and resub for a month and see how I like it. I know Rift's second anniversary is coming up so I'll look for some good deals. That whole f2p thing had me concerned.

Ok. Thanks. I'll get SL and resub for a month and see how I like it. I know Rift's second anniversary is coming up so I'll look for some good deals. That whole f2p thing had me concerned.
    What f2p thing?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Rift's Executive Producer Scott Hartsman resigned in Jan with some layoffs and some people thought Rift was going f2p creating gloom and doom threads over in the Trion forums.

Rift's Executive Producer Scott Hartsman resigned in Jan with some layoffs and some people thought Rift was going f2p creating gloom and doom threads over in the Trion forums.
    How is F2P doom and gloom?

Also, its speculation.

And if rift is going to go f2p, its going to go f2p regardless of what the community does or says. The best bet the community has is to offer as much feedback and opinions as to what they would like to see under either model in hopes of preventing another swtor transition.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Yea hk, I don't know all the facts about f2p . I see some people are open to it and others are not. I just wanted to know the facts before buying the xpac and resub. That's why I came here.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea hk, I don't know all the facts about f2p . I see some people are open to it and others are not. I just wanted to know the facts before buying the xpac and resub. That's why I came here.
    Well here's the facts:

1) Rift is currently not F2P

2) No one associated with the production or operations of Rift/Trion have stated, indicated, hinted at, or even gave a glimmer of a reason that Rift will be transitioning to F2P.

3) None of this means it won't happen.

Now here are some opinions:

Whether a game is going F2P or not shouldn't factor into your choice of subscribing for a certain duration. You will be rewarded in some fashion for that subscription, more than likely in a very nice way. SWTOR is the only game I've seen not give subscribers lots of perks, but their entire F2P model is draconian and nothing like the rest of the market.

Additionally, going F2P doesn't mean the quality of a game or what you're getting will change for the worse. On top of that, there's always a chance the game would go B2P with a cash shop. There are more examples of good games that aren't sub based these days than there are good sub games.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    I have that and it's a great deal, but I'd hold off as a new/newly returning player. That's a pretty big investment to make for a return. IMO pick up SL and sub for a month or two to see how the game has changed. If you enjoy it, the annual sub will still be there, if you end up not enjoying it, you've found that out and saved yourself some cash.
    If you are considering picking it up soon I would wait a little while. Late next month they are going to have a free week for anyone previously subscribed so you can check out the changes. During that time, or right after it, there will likely be sales as well. During this time the Carnival of the Ascended will be going on which is like a birthday celebration for Rift.

Of course, if you don't feel like waiting and want to check it out right now go for it. Just wanted to let you know so if you are kinda on the fence about it you may want to wait a bit.

Also worth mentioning that no, the game is not likely going f2p any time soon. Hal Hanlin, aka Daglar, is still there, still in charge, and still backs the idea of having a subscription model and providing a service for that subscription. This is their business model and there are not even any hints at the fact that this is going to change anytime soon other than some people tieing Hartsmans departure to a sign of it since that was why he left SoE.

Yeah, this is good timing for you. There should be some good sales ($20-$30 for SL) for the game during the anniversary. There were great sales last year, so I don't see why they wouldn't re-run some of them this year.