Purify Spirit for Dummies?

Ok, I'm still getting the hang of Resto. I do fine with the Holiday Boss and I rarely let a DPS die in dungeons. I've even healed LFR a few times now and Sha of Anger once (more people died then, but I blame the fact that I kept getting targeted by the MC). Sure I still overheal and I don't always know the best spell to cast, but considering how new I am to it and the fact that I'm not using any healer addons or mouseover macros yet, I don't feel like I'm a complete idiot.

Except for Purify Spirit.

I get that it removes Curses. It also removes Magic effects. I understand that. I just have no azerothly idea how to tell when someone is getting hit by them. How do Resto Shamans normally handle Purify Spirit? Do addons alert you to the curses/magic effects, is there something in the raid frames or the character portrait that's indicative that it's removable (a la the white border that shows my Hunter what he can Tranq Shot away), or am I stressing over something that you're more likely to find in PVP than you are in a dungeon or raid?

While I'm asking, what about Purge? As a Healer, am I expected to help with Dispels on bosses or is that something left more traditionally to dps classes since they're more likely to be constantly targeting the bad guy?

Thanks in advance, and yes, I do plan on putting in a healer addon or three at some point, I just wanted to take the spec for a whirl first before committing energy to something like that.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

You should set up your Raid Frames to display debuffs that you can dispel. Something I loved about VuhDo (Healing Raid Frames) is that I can force it to display the users bar a different colour, based on what debuff they have, and if I can dispel it.

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 02:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    While I'm asking, what about Purge? As a Healer, am I expected to help with Dispels on bosses or is that something left more traditionally to dps classes since they're more likely to be constantly targeting the bad guy?
    Traditionally DPS should Interrupt & Purge, but you should't let something get through while you wait for DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Configure your raid frames so you'll see instantly which type of debuff the players have. I use grid, and it shows me dispellable debuffs in a corner that's coloured according to the type of debuff (I use purple for curses, light-blue for magic - I also let it show poisons and diseases, but with a lower priority so that if someone ever has more debuffs, the ones I can actually do something about will always be visible instantly).

Purging is something that depends a bit. We had a bit of trouble with me purging during Mel'jarak. The GCDs were just not affordable as heals needed to go out. So we had dps do it. I still threw in the one or the other purge though, whenever I knew I could risk it.

Purging the shield on Zian (3rd phase of Spirit Kings heroic) is done by everyone who can purge/dispel. But primarily it's my task. That's why I glyph Purge for that encounter - at least until 5.2 where the glyph will be largely useless. Dispelling 2 charges with a single GCD is just too good to not have a shaman hit that button there.

Interrupting is something that's usually dps-job. If you don't have enough interrupters, you step in as a healer. It's more likely in 10-man to happen. Though recently there haven't been any interrupt-fests such as we had them in Cataclysm's T11 content.

Also, even as a healer you can be targetting the bad guy all the time and heal with mouse-over on the people in your raidframes. You can also /focus the boss and either use mouse-over on the focus-frame or create a focus-purge or focus-interrupt macro.

Deleted
    If you are not that good with addons, i'd suggest you try 1 Addonpack called ElvUI from www.tukui.org
    That has most of the things built in that would make you a better healer. Those raid frames have presets for each Role; Healer/tank DPS.
    It displays all the debuffs as an icon in the raid frames with a blue border for a Magic effect and Purple for a curse. While it also tracks your riptides and earth shield.

Now combine that with Clique and you are unstoppable as a healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Beriohtarion View Post
    If you are not that good with addons, i'd suggest you try 1 Addonpack called ElvUI from www.tukui.org
    That has most of the things built in that would make you a better healer. Those raid frames have presets for each Role; Healer/tank DPS.
    It displays all the debuffs as an icon in the raid frames with a blue border for a Magic effect and Purple for a curse. While it also tracks your riptides and earth shield.

The problem with elvui I found is it comes with grid built in as the raid frames which tbh I have spent hours before trying to set it up and it still didnt look right. The last time I used elvui I disabled grid and installed vuhdo which in my opinion is the easy to set up, good healing raid frames.
    In response to the op, as others have said, if you use the default raid frames go into esc, click interface, go to raid profiles and tick display only dispellable debuffs. Only problem with this, is some debuffs arent dispellable but you want to see them.
    If you decide to go the addon route and get healbot or vuhdo then first go to one of these links. the top being vuhdo and second being healbot(sorry im going to treat you like a beginner when it comes to addons since i dont know how much you know)
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/vuhdo
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/heal-bot-continued

then click download now. Afterwards extract it to your world of warcraft - interface - addons folder and thats all done to allow you to use them right away.

Im not going into how to set them both up but Il try and explain how to show the debuffs relevant to you. I cant remember healbot since its been awhile since I last used it so this is for vuhdo.
    Type /vuhdo opt - This opens up the option panel
    click the debuff tab. On the first page make sure icons is ticked and everything else on this page is unticked so it doesnt hide any debuffs. Next go to the colours tab and make sure the background of curse and magic is ticked and then the others can all be unticked. This basically colours the raid frame when a person is affected by a curse or magic effect for easy dispelling.

Well this is how I go about dispelling so hope it helped atall.

Purging wise, yes if you have a free global then it is worth dispelling. Sometimes dps dont notice fast enough and if something is healing the boss alot or its causing a mob to do more damage then by dispelling it, it makes the fight usually easier to heal through. However dont try and dispell something if you are in a life or death situation or anything

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz UI lets you know if theres something you can dispel.

Deleted
    Thanks in advance, and yes, I do plan on putting in a healer addon or three at some point, I just wanted to take the spec for a whirl first before committing energy to something like that.
    You don't need addons to perform well as a healer. And as far has purify spirit goes, just look at your raid frames. In PvE you know when people are gonna get dispellable debuffs so it should be quite easy to see with the original UI:s raid frames.

I don't use any healing addons and I'm an unstoppable healer. In my opinion, a clean UI that only shows the necessary things is the way to go.
    Last edited by mmoc843d0e919e; 2013-02-14 at 07:51 PM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    With the stock Blizzard raid frames, if a player has a debuff you can dispel, you will see an icon not only for the debuff itself, but also a little "NO" symbol (Ø) in the upper right corner of the frame. Depending upon your configuration of the frames, you might also see poison and disease or even bleed debuffs (useful for knowing who might have a massive DoT and need extra healing in a specific fight), but the Ø will not be there.
    Last edited by Kaeth; 2013-02-14 at 07:57 PM.

Deleted
    I don't use any healing addons and I'm an unstoppable healer. In my opinion, a clean UI that only shows the necessary things is the way to go.
    Agree. Conversely, using healing addons does not necessarily make you a good healer.

healing addons do various things to show you if someone has something you can dispel

or, if you're just using default frames, the icons show up, and you just have to know what you should be looking out for.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    if you're just using default frames, the icons show up, and you just have to know what you should be looking out for.
    The default frames also tell you if the target has a debuff that your class/spec's toolkit can remove.

or you can get ohhhh i dont know decursive DUN DUN DUUUNNNNNNNNNNN

Deleted
    You should set up your Raid Frames to display debuffs that you can dispel.
    This is a very, very bad tip. Showing all debuffs, even undispellable, is very useful for a lot of fights.

As others have said, the default raid frames show debuffs that need you to dispel them quite clearly. I have no problem spotting something on them, I have used the defaults for a long time now and have never had a problem using them.
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.