Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Valor upgrades gone in 5.2: Should they just STAY gone?

I'm posing this as a question because I'd definitely be open to hearing other people's viewpoints on this. I'll state my own view below.

While everyone else was cheering at the possibility of upgrading their gear, I basically read the announcement as "Here, have a piece of gear 8 ilvls below what it is supposed to be. Justify the repetition of dailies and raids you don't need to be doing anymore to earn points, so you can get that gear up to its proper item level".

Basically, I look at every kind of non-optional gear upgrading such as gemming and enchanting as basically the same thing, i.e. bringing the gear up to the level intended by the developers when they tune things. However like most people I don't actually have much of a problem with this, because they are compelling enough that I recognise that the lack of these things would actually detract from the "interestingness" of gearing.

On the flipside however, gear ilvl upgrades were just too blatant and arbitrary without adding any "fun" to the game. Now it's going on holiday, I personally hope it's gone and stays gone... But what about you? Did you enjoy it, and if so why?
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

I disliked it, mainly because I hate not being "done" with an item. In the past, you'd enchant, gem and reforge an item and then you'd cease worrying about it until your next upgrade. This way, you're never really done with an item. Or you are, but it'll take you ages due to the valor cap. It also adds another way for RNG to shit on you, where you may decide to upgrade something because the replacement never drops, and then the replacement drops the next week and you've just wasted valor that should've gone towards something that you keep for a while.

I say throw it out, and just give gear the ilvl it was supposed to have.

I think its good that they are removing it at the start of each raid patch and bringing it back each filler patch (Atleast thats what they said their intent was)

Having it out while having a new raid and more savory valor items makes it a hard choice, Upgrade your awesome new gear or buy awesome new gear. They don't want it to be too mathy and such at the beginning (My opinion, not their actual reason)

After 5.2 is old they will launch 5.3 allowing upgrades again, this provides an incentive to valor cap weekly to upgrade your gear (Any hardcore super srs world first or similiar guild will be doing this)

Personally i like what they are planning, it means i have a goal to reach each week other then full clear in 1 raid night then sit in town listening to people bicker at each other
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Deleted
    i dnt mind them adding it back, what else am i susposed to spent my valor on. there arent any BoE epics too buy with it in order too make some profit

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was kinda nice to have both as a valor sink, and for those cases of the-damn-trinket-I-want-has-never-dropped-well-at-least-I-can-upgrade-this-LFR-one.

I don't mind it going away, though, and I probably wouldn't be broken up if it never came back, but I do think it's a useful feature.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    It's new way of nerfing content over time by allowing slight overgearing. Better than slapping 5-10-20-35 percent nerf during current content.
    Also valor sink for high-level raiders. I preferred BOE valor gear though, at least could make some money from useless valor points.

I like it, It adds another level of optimizing your gear you need to research future upgrades and BiSs how high chance there is to get X item and if you are 2nd or 3rd in queue for a rare item you can probebly assume you are going to keep the old one for a while. If you play smart you might get slightly less stats because you upgraded shoulders before chest ect or you can play greedy and upgrade weapon>trinket>chest>legs for a bigger gain but higher chance of replacing the slot and using stats later. The system also punishes retards for spending valor randomly and wasting it and having a aspect that you can gain a lot from if you read up a lot in the end-game raiding is also fun. RLs can say "We need more dps to meet the beserk timer can everyone upgrade their weapons,trinkets to get the most dps out for next week ect"

Also its way more fun then "hmmm I got 17405 valor I wonder how much gold I will get next patch?" and a solid reason to cap valor every week instead of week 1-5 you are desperate for valor and will grind valor cap on 4 alts to be able to buy all BoEs and you are completely insane if you don't cap with upgrades valor value diminish a bit over time because a ring upgrade is less valuable then a MH but its still well worth it
    Last edited by Axelond; 2013-02-15 at 12:17 AM.

Should stay for Justice Point gear, and maybe only allow 1/1 for Valor gear. Or they should at least up the valor gain per week to 1250. But it definitely should be removed for PVP gear. It just widens an already wide gap even further.

I hope it remains gone just so I dont have to cap valor week after week long after I dont need valor items anymore. Valor should be a supplement to getting gear, nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never remove it, but make the current tier gear non upgrade able until 2-4 months after it releases to add something to work towards. That way people doing older content can still upgrade older stuff. Pvp gear shouldn't be upgrade able at all. I know that it sucks but its just not good for pvp.

It gets tiring to cap valor every week, i hope i can get enough gear early on so i can take a break before they add upgrades again.

I like the item upgrades - but I'm not sure that using valor is very interesting. And I think there are too many downsides on the pvp side.

What would be more interesting is a random weekly raid quest - like what they had back in ICC where you had to do x against y boss each week. Have that quest give an item that you can use to upgrade a piece of gear.

Yes. I HATE upgrades. They ruined PvP already. They made s12 elite weapon better than S13 T1 weapon. That's never happened in the history of the game before and giving an innate gear advantage from the onset when they are literally trying to solve this gear advantage is terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm OK with it. I think it's right that you can't upgrade during raid patches as that leads to exactly what the OP said: "I'm getting a piece of gear that's 8 levels below where it should be." Since it's not available and people will complete raids without it that becomes mostly complaining for the sake of complaining.

When there's not a new raid, it does allow one to upgrade gear to help get over the finish line on the current raid or to get ready for the next.

It's an interesting idea the way they're doing it and as long as people can keep it straight and not get confused it's fine.

Everyone wanting raid quests or trying to tie it to group things are sort of missing the point: The current system allows everybody to upgrade their gear, not just raiders. That's good.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope it stays gone. It's just a never-ending grind until the next raid tier comes out. Quitting from burnout is worse than quitting from boredom imo.

In PVE, it was a good way to incrementally nerf content. There wasn't any reason for this in PVP though other than to create incentives for PVPers to have something to still work towards, but it just widened the gear gap, and it became more about gear > skill than ever.

I like it as a valor sink, can't stand being capped for no reason.
    If it doesnt come back I hope they bring BOE's back so that i can earn some gold atleast.

It was good because it was something to spend the points on. But if they don't come back, such is life. Maybe Blizzard will bring it back the following patch. I'd assume so.

I was in a debate about this today and someone came with an important note...

The upgrade system is not so bad. The thing about it is that it requires you to reach Valor cap every single week.

Now, that would not be so bad if the Valor cap wasn't so hard to get in MoP. I mean, even you you kill all bosses in all raids, you still are quite a way to go to the cap.

I think chain-running 7 dungeons in cataclysm was dumb and boring and I liked the change to how you get Valor in Pandaria. But as time passes, it gets too tiring, since you have to keep doing the same content you already completed long ago.

Some change to make it easier to reach Valor cap must happen, or people will just burnout while trying to upgrade their pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    I was in a debate about this today and someone came with an important note...

The upgrade system is not so bad. The thing about it is that it requires you to reach Valor cap every single week.

Now, that would not be so bad if the Valor cap wasn't so hard to get in MoP. I mean, even you you kill all bosses in all raids, you still are quite a way to go to the cap.

I think chain-running 7 dungeons in cataclysm was dumb and boring and I liked the change to how you get Valor in Pandaria. But as time passes, it gets too tiring, since you have to keep doing the same content you already completed long ago.

Some change to make it easier to reach Valor cap must happen, or people will just burnout while trying to upgrade their pieces.
    Pandaria valor system is fine, I think it just needs a numbers buff. You should cap valor from clearing all the instances. Valor from dungeons and scenarios needs to be higher too.