10+ Year Old Account

looking for advice: swimmers physique

Hello. I've been trying to get back into shape and get back to looking good. But I need some help.
    Im currently in the U.S Army and I have alot of free time. The PT thats mandatory is just simply not enough to get what I want.

So im trying to add to it, do my own thang if you will.

Goal = http://www.theswimmersbody.com/wp-co...dy_Shape_1.jpg ( that pic pretty much sums it up.

Currently here are my workouts

Swim wk 1
    100 warmup
    2 X 500 free
    1 min Pushup
    4 X 250 free
    1 min crunch
    5 x 200 free
    1min plank
    10 x 100 free
    1 min crunch
    20 x 50 free
    1 X 200 free sprint
    500 cooldown
    total 6700 yards

wk 2
    1000 warmup
    5 X 200 IM
    1 min pushup
    4 X 250 breaststroke
    1 min crunch
    4 X 250 backstroke
    1 min plank
    4 X 250 fly
    1 min crunch
    4 X 250 free
    1 X 200 free sprint
    500 cd
    total 6700

Wk 3
    1000 warmup
    5 X 200 freestyle pull
    1 min pushup
    500 kick
    500 choice
    1 min crunch
    4 X 250 free
    1 X 200 free sprint
    500 CD
    total 6700 yards

From what I feel at the end of the workouts, im sore as heck. but I dont want to get one of those bodys where your disproportioned. so if you have any advice on workout feel free to add it.

Biggest thing is food. I've never eaten healthy or used any supplements so im really not sure where to begin. and while army food is a option I know its not the greatest of choices so id like to avoid it.

any help would be great.
    God forbid I see a cast bar on my target. I'm going to interrupt that cast out of fucking existence. I will rebuke that spell out of the game data, that's how I'm going to roll with my pally now.

I was on the swim team in high school and we did our push ups and crunches before we actually got in the water. Occasionally we would superset some crunches/push ups/lunges in between sets in the pool, but I wouldn't do that every day like you plan on doing. It fucking kills you.

Anyway you're gonna get in good shape if you follow through with your plan and swim 6700 yards every day. As far as your meals go, try and eat at least a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight spread out throughout the day (drink whey protein shakes if you can, if not drink 1% milk, at least a half gallon a day in addition to your other meals to reach this goal), and eat lots of simple carbs before and after your each workout. Fruit and pasta is best.

Edit: I just clicked the picture you wanted to look like, aaaand... you need to lift weights. That guy obviously does more than just swim. People who only swim (like I did) get very lean and out of proportion. If you only swim and do push ups and crunches, your triceps and shoulders will be much bigger than your biceps, your chest will be small (but toned), and your legs will be sticks. Your "bigger" muscles (abs, tris, shoulders) will still be very small relative to someone who does resistance training. If all you care about is the look, I would forget about swimming and start bulking on a weight training program. When it comes time to cut, then start swimming in addition to your weight training. You'll probably want to do less than 6700 yards a day, though.
    Last edited by Neazy; 2013-02-15 at 03:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    weights? allright lets add them. we have a gym on base so i can go to that but how do I do it right? I can youtube proper technique for different exercises but which should i focus on what exercises with weights in particular ( flying blind here).

Add: so in gym focus on biceps/chests and legs( does running work)

food wise: pasta(instant ramen?) fruits, and cut junk food out, burgers okay?

also little lost as too weight training program/cutting, never been a gym junkie but ill start looking it up.

that ab vid looks fun ill do that when i wait for LFR que times :P
    God forbid I see a cast bar on my target. I'm going to interrupt that cast out of fucking existence. I will rebuke that spell out of the game data, that's how I'm going to roll with my pally now.

Quote Originally Posted by vacor View Post
    weights? allright lets add them. we have a gym on base so i can go to that but how do I do it right? I can youtube proper technique for different exercises but which should i focus on what exercises with weights in particular ( flying blind here).

Add: so in gym focus on biceps/chests and legs( does running work)

food wise: pasta(instant ramen?) fruits, and cut junk food out, burgers okay?

also little lost as too weight training program/cutting, never been a gym junkie but ill start looking it up.

that ab vid looks fun ill do that when i wait for LFR que times :P
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

You can get an amazing program from that website and then search up some videos to follow form. Basically, you work out 3 days a week and the split is like this:

Day 1
    ------
    Squat 3 sets of 5
    Bench press 3x5
    Power clean 3x5

Day 2
    -------
    Squat 3x5
    Overhead press 3x5
    Deadlift 3x5

And that's it. The plan is to increase the weight on those exercises every time you go to the gym. You'll want to add some chin-ups for your lats, some weighted sit ups for your abs, calf raises, and some bicep curls, but those are more ancillary exercises and you should do them for more reps (8-12) and they're harder to progress on when it comes to the weight.

If that seems really easy, it's not. The hardest part is eating right and sleeping enough so that you can increase the weight on your main exercises every time you hit the gym and still get your 3 sets of 5 reps for each exercise. Actually going to the gym and lifting the weight becomes fun after a while. It's the lifestyle that is tough to maintain.

As far as eating Ramen before you go to the gym.... no. Fucking destroy all the Ramen in your house if you want to look like the guy in that picture you posted. You will be eating the following:

-Eggs
    -Fruit
    -Meat
    -Vegetables

Don't eat pasta while lifting weights, that was more for if you were going to be swimming 4+ miles every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    ill try and do a little bit of both. swim day gym day swim day gym day.

get my endurance up from the swimming and get strength up from the gym

I used to swim for a club until I was 17 and at the time I was close to qualifying for nationals. I swam 8 times a week, twice on some days. (Olympians swim two to three times every day though I never made it that far)

You probably want to be swimming at least 5 times a week if you want to end up like that picture, though you didnt state how many times you go I assume its more than once.

I cant really give you any advice on dieting because at the time I was young and ate tones of junk food. With that being said though I assume all the swimming I did burnt it all off because I still looked pretty good. If you want to go the full way you would probably want to google "what foods should swimmers eat" and I assume there would be plenty of information. I will mention though that you will feel hungrier due to all the energy you will be burning each day and if you ever decide to stop you will put on a bit of weight pretty fast.

Going to the gym is fairly important too, especially if you cant swim 5 times a week, your primary focus would be core and legs since you would be getting all the upper body work from the swimming.

The sessions you wrote out look similar to mine and you dont really have any problems there, try not to have a longer break than 1 minute between each set and when you are doing things like 4x250 free you probably dont want to have anything longer than a 30 second break between each one though 20 seconds would be something a bit better to aim for (even less is even better).

My coach would also set the times we had to do things in so if we were doing (making the times and numbers up) 10x100 free on 1:30 we would have to go every time 1min 30secs passed. At the start you would make the times really easy and have a decently sized rest (20 seconds or so) but by the time you got to the last three you were only having 5 or so second rests because you were getting more tired. It made it progressively harder in other words

Good luck Hopefully someone can help you out with dieting tips

Quote Originally Posted by vacor View Post
    ill try and do a little bit of both. swim day gym day swim day gym day.

get my endurance up from the swimming and get strength up from the gym
    That's generally the worst thing you can do. If you do that, your weight will stay the same (or increase slowly) and you won't be putting on muscle very quickly. If you want to look ripped, the most efficient way to do that is to bulk first, then cut down later.

During your bulk, don't do any more cardio than you have to for the military and eat a calorie surplus (500 extra calories per day is generally recommended, which means you'll be gaining a pound of body mass per week). When you're cutting, you'll want to eat a slight caloric deficit (100-200 calories) or stay neutral while maintaining your strength on your resistance exercises and adding cardio to the mix.