Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Halo, CoD, Half-Life, Mario, Zelda, Borderlands, DMC. I don't understand what all the fuss about these games is...Half-Life is the only one thats ok, the rest being really bad, my opinion though.

SWTOR
    Rift
    LoL (personal opinion)
    D3 was way over hyped, not sure if its overrated given the general low opinion people now have of it

I'll probably get crucified for saying this but...

Warcraft 3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Just wanted to point out: it's rather unreasonable to expect a "civil discussion" and "respect for people's opinions" if you start off like you did yourself. Sure, it's about overrated games, but your whole D3 paragraph for example has nothing to do with reasonable expression of opinion.

People tend to ridiculously exaggerate and blow things out of proportion on the internet. Any presumed "critique" turns into a flatout hatespeech. You basically don't even give people the chance to react in a civil way when you start by going off that way. Anyone who doesn't happen to quite agree with you will instantly, reflexively think "oh, shut up" before they can even think of anything else, just because of the exorbitant, borderline nonsensical argumentation and wording.

Same thing goes for the constant bitching about developers not listening to players' concerns etc. You can't possibly expect that if players state their opinions by typing murmurings of discontent along the lines of "GC is a jackass", "fire the moron", "XY doesn't have a fucking clue", "that new thing XY is a piece of crap". You can't possibly expect any developer to listen to you. Not because they're arrogant, but because you're effectively convincing them that you're plain incompetent.

Back to topic: I'm sure I could think of several games/franchises over the last years, but off the top off my head right now, I'd have to go with Skyrim, or the Elder Scrolls series in general. I could never get into the whole open-world, sandbox thing. I really miss a common thread throughout such games, there's to little tense orchestration and highlights to keep me interested. I understand some people can lose themselves in such a seemingly endless, open environment, but that's a rather acquired taste and therefor I think it does not quite deserve the state-of-the-art, ultimate genre-defining reputation it potentially gets.
    I agree with the opinions point etc.

Although your "In previous expansions we had much better nostalgia!" signature made me actually laugh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    Dishonored
    Guild wars 2
    Diablo 3
    dragon age 2
    Dishonored and GW2 are overrated but D3 was just a hype, then shit hit the fan and DA2 was shit and that melted into a puddle of shit.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Its controls are pretty stiff, it takes forever before the story gets going, and finally when it does it isn't that special. I guess it's the kind of game where I should have been there when it was released to like it, but if that's the case, then it hasn't aged well, like Super Mario 64. I like the 2D dungeon crawlers a lot more than the 3D ones anyways.

2. Every damn MMO, including WoW
    . Now I like WoW, and it's the only MMO I still play, but it sure gets a lot of attention both from haters and likers, that I feel other games might deserve more. The real cause for this entry is for all the millions of MMOs who people claim will dethrone WoW, but ultimately flop it too, like Rift, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, SWToR, GW2, TSW, Tera, and the tons of other MMOs that are released. Overall I don't feel that the MMO genre has a very strong arsenal in itself, and I still don't get why every new MMO gets so much hype when they all turn out to be great dissapointments.

3. Call of Duty. Do I even need to explain? It's the same game every year, it runs off the same engine, but oh my, a new campaign, new weapons and new maps! That's what DLCs are supposed to do, that isn't what you call a new game. Sure they tried something new with Black Ops 2, I haven't really bothered with it at all though so I can't comment too much on it, but this is to every Call of Duty from Call of Duty 4 to Modern Warfare 3.

4. Halo. I'm still wondering why and how I've managed to go through the 3 first games, but I have, and I really don't get the hype. Is it because it's space themed? Is it because of Master Chief? Admittedly it has more interesting weapon designs than every other FPS, but still, it feels so generic. It's a boring and uninteresting story, uninspired and common characters, and Master Chief has to be the most overrated video game character only behind Sephiroth and Cloud. The story might be better if you read the books people have told me, I tell them that a game shouldn't rely on a book. Oh, and have I mentioned the vehicles? The flying ones are impossible to aim with, and I could barf everytime I see a warthog. The online multiplayer is broken as hell on the earlier games too because they let people hack as much as they want, so that can't save it either.

5. League of Legends. I played it for nearly two years, and it's an okay game, but does it deserve to be the biggest PC game in history? No, not even close. It's imbalanced, there's no freedom of choice when choosing a champion because of the metagame, and it hasn't introduced anything new since Dominion which was ages ago. I will admit, it is a fun game at times, well I quit it because I don't find it to be much fun anymore, but I had some good times, but holy shit its fame is going over the edge. I see people that wear t-shirts for teams that compete in ranked play for this game. Seriously? That'd be like wearing a t-shirt for a fansite of Metallica, but not wearing a t-shirt that says Metallica. In all honesty though, what ruined this game for me was the metagame, so the fanbase literally killed it for me.

There are other games I'd like to include here, like Skyrim, every damn Blizzard game, and TF2, but hey, I've got a lot of other games to play than these I've listed, so I'll go do that.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2013-02-15 at 08:05 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yours is the second post after the OP and the OP said he thinks D3 is overrated.

mkay?
    I think he was mad at the OP for thinking D3 is overrated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty tough to walk the line between 'that game is overrated' and 'lots of people seem to enjoy this game I did not'...
    "Brevity is...wit"

Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    Pretty tough to walk the line between 'that game is overrated' and 'lots of people seem to enjoy this game I did not'...
    It's more of a personal overrated list I think. Something along the lines of games that are rated by the masses but disliked by the self.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Final Fantasy 7. People orgasm over the very mention of the name, while I hated it. I loved, and adored Final Fantasy 8. It is one of the greatest games i've ever played.
    My thoughts exactly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    It's more of a personal overrated list I think. Something along the lines of games that are rated by the masses but disliked by the self.
    You don't have to dislike a game to think it's overrated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    That is true

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Something that I do not like is that all Call of Duty games in the series is being dragged in as "overhyped". Call of Duty, the first one of the series, was incredible. It was mind-blowingly good. The same with Call of Duty 4. It was top notch of its time. Recent additions has pretty much copy pasted the same formula and done the same thing over and over again. They aren't bad games, but they're surely overhyped. Again. State the Call of Duty games, instead of taking every single one of as an "overhyped" game.

PS: The thing that got me into Call of Duty in the first place, was its stellar demo released about a year prior to release. I don't know how many times I played through it, but it was a lot. I miss demos. Damn you kids!

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy 7

Deleted
    Dare I say it, grand theft auto?

Deleted
    All god damn Moba games...(LoL,Dota,Hon) I personally can't stand them, but everyone and their mother seems to love them.

Can't think of anything else but Oblivion really.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    All god damn Moba games...(LoL,Dota,Hon) I personally can't stand them, but everyone and their mother seems to love them.
    +1
    10 char

10+ Year Old Account
    The Super Smash Bros. series.