Page 1 of 30
... LastLast

Most overrated/over-hyped games of all time?

Let's take notion of the civil and respect people's opinions.

OK lets try and keep this civil and respect people's opinions. What do you think are the most over rated or over hyped games of all time?

1. Madden Series. Dont get me wrong I love football. I will watch division 2 college games if they are on TV and I have 4 TVs set up in my living room to watch games come Sunday but this game is just too much. I mean they had a TV series following people that played it. In the words of Keyshawn Johnson...."Come on Man!" I mean sure its fun to play but its just the same game rehashed every single year. Maybe if I played online against other people it would have been more fun but I quit playing before X-Box live and all that mess took off. Not to mention whoever they put on the cover either gets hurt or has a terrible season.

2. Diablo 3. I dont care how many copies it sold and what records it broke. The only thing broke was the game. Oh you didnt roll a DH on day 1...Sorry you lose. Enjoy sitting in Act 1 while they farm Act 4 or Ponies in blues. Oh your account is flagged for bad loot? Haha you lose again. I watch people who stream getting 12-15 Legendaries a session. I never got that many in the 5 months I played putting in 40-50 hours a week. Dont try and say they just have good luck and mine was just bad. The loot system was just flat out broken.

3. SWToR. All the rumors about how much money they spent on voice actor's and thats pretty much all you got. A decent class story with good voice acting that ended at level 50...along with the fun. Before going F2play level 50 was basically this. Log in, spam fleet for a few hours saying you were LFG,get pissed cause you cant buy a group, lose a bunch of WZs, get even more pissed, then rage log. Now it has gotten better since going free to play as I did go back and sub for a month. Lots of people in Fleet and I actually was able to finally do some flashpoints and even raids using the group finder. But PvP is still broke with FoTY classes. Its "Flavor of the Year" cause Bioware is probably the slowest company I have ever seen when it comes to class balancing. DPS Operatives still havent recovered from being nerfed about a YEAR ago. Thats just unacceptable. Also their F2play model is garbage. You still basically have to sub to play the game as you dont get 100% of the game like you do with GW2 or Tera.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-02-16 at 12:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Call of Duty
    Gears of War
    Halo
    Minecraft
    Borderlands 2

borderlands.
    halo.
    COD, thats just a given.
    no one here thinks Diablo 3 was over rated mkay? no one.

Deleted
    CoD, Skyrim (Seriously it's a HUGE let down compared to older ES games), runescape, halo, diablo 3, borderlands 2, SWToR

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Halo series, Call of Duty, Madden (most sport game franchises for that matter), the whole Diablo series (it really wasn't THAT great), Left 4 Dead, and Fallout. To name a few.

All console shooters....I can't overcome how awkward and slow the controls are.

Btw, I don't think Diablo 3 is overrated, it was just overhyped because it's Diablo. The game itself is good and a lot more fun than the average game.
    Mother pus bucket!

Diablo 3 wasn't over rated... Unless yo have a different definition of over rated

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    All console shooters....I can't overcome how awkward and slow the controls are.

Btw, I don't think Diablo 3 is overrated, it was just overhyped because it's Diablo. The game itself is good and a lot more fun than the average game.
    Owh just to say for overhyped games that got ruined because of it here's one, duke nukem.

ALSO to add, half-life 3, nobody will ever be happy with it now because of the over expectations and time waiting for it
    Last edited by mmocbc4bb7c1a7; 2013-02-15 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Missed info

15+ Year Old Account
    FF7, come at me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    no one here thinks Diablo 3 was over rated mkay? no one.
    you have to rate it first before you can overrate it

Quote Originally Posted by mechaclone View Post
    Skyrim (Seriously it's a HUGE let down compared to older ES games), borderlands 2
    Sky can't be worse than Oblivion (I refuse to believe this ).

Age of Conan
    Aion
    SWTOR
    Have A Nice Day (HVND)

10+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 3, Skyrim, SWToR, GW2

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Generals 2 (Command & Conquer (2013))
    2. Guitar hero
    3. Gears of war
    4. Call of duty
    5. Halo
    6. Any sport game from EA
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Final Fantasy 7. People orgasm over the very mention of the name, while I hated it. I loved, and adored Final Fantasy 8. It is one of the greatest games i've ever played.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    1. Generals 2 (Command & Conquer (2013))
    "Of all time"

this game isn't even out yet

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Final Fantasy 7. People orgasm over the very mention of the name, while I hated it. I loved, and adored Final Fantasy 8. It is one of the greatest games i've ever played.
    I applaud you, sir!

Imo diablo is very overated, not gonna lie i was totally addicted to it like the first month but after beating it over and over to get to lvl 60 got old quick, and since the promise of pvp never happened, it kinda left me out there wondering where do i go from there, there was really no point in farming better gear unless you like to do that sorta thing, and the real money auction house also kinda ruined it because mr deep pockets will always be able to buy all the good shit, hence forth makes it kinda pointless to grind out gear again if i can just buy it. Any of the call of duty games after modern warfare 1 where very overated as well.

Just wanted to point out: it's rather unreasonable to expect a "civil discussion" and "respect for people's opinions" if you start off like you did yourself. Sure, it's about overrated games, but your whole D3 paragraph for example has nothing to do with reasonable expression of opinion.

People tend to ridiculously exaggerate and blow things out of proportion on the internet. Any presumed "critique" turns into a flatout hatespeech. You basically don't even give people the chance to react in a civil way when you start by going off that way. Anyone who doesn't happen to quite agree with you will instantly, reflexively think "oh, shut up" before they can even think of anything else, just because of the exorbitant, borderline nonsensical argumentation and wording.

Same thing goes for the constant bitching about developers not listening to players' concerns etc. You can't possibly expect that if players state their opinions by typing murmurings of discontent along the lines of "GC is a jackass", "fire the moron", "XY doesn't have a fucking clue", "SRSLY what were u thinking?!", "that new thing XY is a piece of crap". You can't possibly expect any developer to listen to you. Not because they're arrogant, but because you're effectively convincing them that you're plain incompetent.

Back to topic: I'm sure I could think of several games/franchises over the last years, but off the top off my head right now, I'd have to go with Skyrim, or the Elder Scrolls series in general. I could never get into the whole open-world, sandbox thing. I really miss a common thread throughout such games, there's a lack of tense orchestration and highlights to keep me interested. I understand some people can lose themselves in such a seemingly endless, open environment, but that's a rather acquired taste and therefor I think it does not quite deserve the state-of-the-art, ultimate genre-defining reputation it potentially gets.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2013-02-15 at 08:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dishonored
    Guild wars 2
    Diablo 3
    dragon age 2
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right