Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    1) The Sims
    2) Civilization
    3) Counter Strike
    4) LoL
    5) All "Fast and furious" inspired NFS games
    i dont think ive ever in my life heard someone say "you know what the best game of all time is? the sims" or need for speed O-O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

the gta games and red dead redemption.

tried 'em but didn't really like 'em.

For me it would be:

Diablo III. For a game that was in the making for so many years, developed by a studio with such a great history in game-development, and financed by a company with so rich assets... the mediocre game which was the end-result was disappointing. It is an averagely good game and that's it. Which is immensely disappointing to me, since I expected greatness. It was like an admission by Blizzard that when they lost the game's original creators, the best they could do was replace them with some wannabes that would do a typically good job but nothing more. Well, great games don't come from people that do "just good jobs". And it shows. With modern technology and advances in game-design Diablo III could have been a monster of a game. Immense in size instead of a few hours long duration, with depth in gameplay instead of cookie-cutter builds, actually exciting challenge instead of boring stat-based challenge, and so on. And the fact that it was released unfinished, and even with most of the mistakes observed in betas being ignored didn't help much.

Halo, Call of Duty, and most of any first-person-shooter on consoles. I think that you just can't make a proper fps that plays on a gamepad. Keyboard and mouse is the only way good enough that we have come up with up to now. How can players enjoy the akward controls of a gamepad is beyond me. And of course, especially in CoD's case, linearity. For goodness sake, Id's Doom and Quake, games developed more than a decade ago, had better single-player level design than CoD and MW! You could get lost in those levels due to their size and complexity. CoD and MW are pretty much about a corridor that you go through reaching checkpoints where the enemies stop spawning to come and rush you down. Appaling and shamefully-poor game-design at its finest.

God of War series. The environments are amazing. But you cant play in most of them. They are just for show. It too, follows the same shameful path of annoying linearity like CoD and MW. But the biggest offender is Quick-Time Events. They are pretty much all the game is about. There are some cool scenes stemming from them, but GoW is supposed to be a videogame, not a semi-interactive movie. if you strip those events and the cut-scenes away, you are left with a fighting game with an average fighting system, and a few puzzles that pretty much solve themselves due to the linearity of the game.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-02-15 at 02:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ocarina of Time isn't overrated but the beginning of it takes far too long and thats what kind of kills me on the game.

Diablo 3 is overrated and really wasn't as great as the reviews claimed.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Ocarina of Time isn't overrated but the beginning of it takes far too long and thats what kind of kills me on the game.

Diablo 3 is overrated and really wasn't as great as the reviews claimed.
    sure the game that is always called "the best game of all time" isnt overrated... okay sure O-O
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Borderlands 2
    COD-series
    Skyrim (Worst gameplay I have EVER played in any game)
    Diablo
    Final Fantasy
    GW2
    Fallout-series
    Halo 1-2-3-4

Skyrim imo is the most overrated, the graphics and gameplay is horrible.

Edit: LoL & Dota
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-02-15 at 03:12 PM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Some of the posts people make aren't about overrated game, just about games they hate. Different things, people.
    On my list:
    Call of Duty series, Legend of Zelda games, Pokemon games, Morrowind and Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Gothic series, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Assassin's Creed II, DOTA 2, Mass Effect 2 & 3. None of these games are THAT good as many people claim in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Some of the posts people make aren't about overrated game, just about games they hate. Different things, people.
    On my list:
    Call of Duty series, Legend of Zelda games, Pokemon games, Morrowind and Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Gothic series, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Assassin's Creed II, DOTA 2, Mass Effect 2 & 3. None of these games are THAT good as many people claim in my opinion.
    Portal and Zelda games? These games have made me a whole new man How dare you
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    actually the gen 2 games (silver/gold/crystal) are almost always put as the best pokemon games. you almost never see anyone legitimately say red and blue are the best.
    On pokemon fan sites maybe and with people who still play the games I totally agree. With my many 'gamer' friends who find it weird I still play pokemon I always get something along the lines of 'it was never the same after red' or 'first 150 or bust maaaan'. Pretty much the same story for the ones who only played the series as a kid and grew out of it but kept an eye on it.

Back on topic though as I really dont want to derail with pokemon gen discussion.

FFVII and IX are both incredibly overrated compared to VI - VIII and X which are all objectively better (not going into all that tho THIS TIME). Both were fun though but both were INCREDIBLY easy. I have a feeling 7's popularity came from it being the first Playstation FF game (can you imagine current days internet hearing that news back then, oh it would be legendary).

9 on the other hand has AWFUL characters, I mean, Zidane and Vivi are soo blank and characterless, the story is so hard to care for aswell. Steiner is pretty cool for a while but he does not get alot of focus really. And don't get me started on Garnet / Dagger. (stopping now before OT rant :P)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... IMHO Call of Duty, oks oks the game is good (multiplayer) but many people are like "OMFG COD IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!", is ok that you like it... but don't overrate it plz...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    On my list:
    i dont see how the zelda games or the pokemon games are overrated.

show me more than 1 or 2 action rpg series that are better than legend of zelda? show me a monster raising rpg thats better than pokemon or hell even a monster raising rpg thats been able to survive against pokemon? because last time i checked monster rancher hasnt had a new game in years and the dragon quest monster games arent that popular.

darksiders and kingdom hearts are the only action rpgs i think are better than zelda

10+ Year Old Account
    @Immitis my opinion on Ocarina is generally good but it just didnt stand out to me as much as WW, LttP, MC, etc. did. No disrespect here but you need to stop saying other people are wrong... In reality we are all wrong because nobody's opinion is ever correct.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    LoL & DotA

<insert random words> seems thats was most people here posted....do you actually understand what overrated means? so many people saying diablo 3....when it was never rated good...loads of sales does not equal rating, thats hype built on how amazing diablo 2 was, seems people think this is a thread for games they want to flame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zelda franchise is #1 for me, followed by the common ones like CoD etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    <insert random words> seems thats was most people here posted....do you actually understand what overrated means? so many people saying diablo 3....when it was never rated good...loads of sales does not equal rating, thats hype built on how amazing diablo 2 was, seems people think this is a thread for games they want to flame.

OP also asked for most over hyped games, which Diablo 3 could be considered as there was a lot of fuss before its release.
    Last edited by Nirawen; 2013-02-15 at 03:19 PM.

Deleted
    Diablo2 + LoD & LoL, oh and almost forgot CoD games

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    actually the gen 2 games (silver/gold/crystal) are almost always put as the best pokemon games. you almost never see anyone legitimately say red and blue are the best.
    red and blue are the best. period.

most of you will probably disagree with me but i feel like dark souls is : /
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc-...A-wvKAaFacq_gA
    Check out my youtube channel for WoW lore videos and more!

I'd also like to add Journey as the most overrated game. Played the full thing after hearing it won so many awards, but it was a complete boredom. How did this game deserve any awards??

The game was apparently meant to touch your emotions or something, thats pretty hard to accomplish when I'm falling asleep by how boring the game was. Should've given The Walking Dead these awards instead, atleast that game made me cry manly tears.

I think allot of people here need to learn the difference between games that were over rated and games that were a huge disappointment.

But on topic i think the first games that come to mind are the modern CoD games and many of the nintendo games like zelda , mario etc etc. I know people grew up on them but seriously , people hold any of those games which are just clones to such a high reguard its beyond me.