Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    All this and he didn't just vaporize Doomhammer and some Naga?
    It's not always a matter of whose power level is highest. He might have feared he would take a stray hammer to the face or something similar. A physical fight can be won or lost in a matter of a small reflex going one combatant's way.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    It's not always a matter of whose power level is highest. He might have feared he would take a stray hammer to the face or something similar. A physical fight can be won or lost in a matter of a small reflex going one combatant's way.
    Indeed, there's a section in "Tides of Darkness", where Gul'dan does talk to Cho'gall about this, and his conclussion is that before he'd have time to finish a spell Orgrim would have shattered his skull. Or one of his guards would have.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletnips View Post
    Just because he wasn't Warchief doesn't mean he wasn't in control of The Horde, he and his shadow council ran the Horde under Blackhand and even after waking up from a coma with all his supporters dead he still was able to command no less than half of Doomhammer's standing forces. He didn't kill Doomhammer because of micro management. He had his own plans to fulfill and he couldn't get what he wanted and war with The Alliance at the same time. Gul'dan also thoroughly enjoyed killing Alliance anyway so having the orcs slaughter humans in their droves probably amused him and let them get on with it.
    That's because Gul'dan was the religious leader for the Orcs. He's basically the Orc Pope. He doesn't have official command over the Orcs outside his clan, but they still do what he says.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    That's because Gul'dan was the religious leader for the Orcs. He's basically the Orc Pope. He doesn't have official command over the Orcs outside his clan, but they still do what he says.
    What?! No, no and no. The closest ting the Orcs ever had to a "religious" Leader wad Ner'zhul. Gul'dan did not commands such respect, nor did he have such a title. He was the Leader of the warlocks, a small sect of Orcs, who were feared, hated and looked Down upon by all other Orcs. Bad analogy is bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    What?! No, no and no. The closest ting the Orcs ever had to a "religious" Leader wad Ner'zhul. Gul'dan did not commands such respect, nor did he have such a title. He was the Leader of the warlocks, a small sect of Orcs, who were feared, hated and looked Down upon by all other Orcs. Bad analogy is bad.
    Gul'dan was Ner'zhul's apprentice and direct successor to his position.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Gul'dan was Ner'zhul's apprentice and direct successor to his position.
    Yes and no. When Gul'dan became a warlock, he was no longer a "candidate", besides Ner'zhul outlived Gul'dan so that's not even relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Yes and no. When Gul'dan became a warlock, he was no longer a "candidate", besides Ner'zhul outlived Gul'dan so that's not even relevant.
    He usurped the position and offered the Orcs an alternative source of power when the elements abandoned them. Nobody listened to Ner'zhul when he told them not to drink the demon blood (except Durotan).

Deleted
    He usurped the position and offered the Orcs an alternative source of power when the elements abandoned them. Nobody listened to Ner'zhul when he told them not to drink the demon blood (except Durotan).
    Gul'dan was feared though, never loved, while Ner'zhul had the genuine support of his people. Otherwise, the Shadow Council would never have needed to use a charismatic puppet Warchief in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said in my post, Gul'dan is a hero of the Horde that has much potential despite being dead. The Lord of the Warlocks, the Master of the Necromancers, the leader of the Stormreaver clan and the Grand Master of the Inner Circle of the Shadow Council...

As his skull appears again and the runes he painted at Suramar are disclosed by Drak'Thul, a reborn Shadow Council at the service of the Horde could bring him from the underworld, back to Azeroth ...

Knowing that in his last moments of life he redeemed himself and realized how he had been used by the Burning Legion and how the Horde had been used to fulfill the purpose of Sargeras, not surprisingly, Gul'dan is willing to avenge of Burning Legion, and compensate the Horde providing all his occult knowledge ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    Knowing that in his last moments of life he redeemed himself and realized how he had been used by the Burning Legion and how the Horde had been used to fulfill the purpose of Sargeras, not surprisingly, Gul'dan is willing to avenge of Burning Legion, and compensate the Horde providing all his occult knowledge ...
    Can't really see this happening, we're speaking of the one guy who knew 100% what he was letting himself into and still did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Can't really see this happening, we're speaking of the one guy who knew 100% what he was letting himself into and still did it.
    Yup. Spelled out right in Rise of the Horde:
    "Behold my lieutenant, Mannoroth. Well has he served me and well shall he continue to serve. On other worlds, they call him the Destructor. But here, he is the savior. Gul'dan," purred Kil’jaeden, and suddenly Gul'dan felt weak and sick again. "You know what I am offering your people."
    Gul'dan swallowed hard. He did not dare glance at Ner'zhul, whose gaze he felt boring into his back.
    Yes, he knew well what Kil’jaeden was offering. Power beyond imagining . . . and slavery for eternity. Kil’jaeden had offered the former to Ner'zhul in exchange for the latter, and Ner'zhul, the coward, had balked. He had not wanted to doom his people. Gul'dan was untroubled by such scruples. All he could think of was the reward Kil’jaeden had promised. "I do know. Great One," Gul'dan said, surprised by the strength and steadiness of his voice, "I know, and I accept my lord's most generous offer."

Deleted
    Gul'dan died before the burning legion was even conceived to be what they became with Wc3.
    The reason is as simple as that: The lore was young and if blizz were to rewrite it to fit actual lore it would be completely different.
    Back then he was the most powerful warlock because there wasn't another warlock - he was the first orc and humans couldn't use warlock magic. Kil Jaeden and Sargeras were some random demon lords created to make drama out of medivh's story and allow a human to do something evil (there are no evil humans as long as no bad power posses them D: ) like summon some green monsters to azeroth. To make it more interesting the monsters were given a bit wisdom, sense and other good qualities to make them reasonable in the campaign. Old lore wasn't meant to be a lotr-world with some backstage and what not it was created to fit the RTS-game. Topics like this one exist because people seem to overestimate the lore and how it was made.