Any good 'Gladiator themed' type RPGs?

So after watching Spartacus through again I'm wondering if there are any decent games out there ( preferably an RPG ) that somewhat simulate a 'ludas' and gladiator combat in the arena? With the gore,crowd, epic combat moves eg. ?

Deleted
    There are very few gladiator-like games.
    PC:
    Gladiator: Shdow of Rome (this one is a hack'n'slash with third person view but you don't play in a ludas for the entire game, only at the begining.
    Gladiators of rome: this is what you want, at first you start with some money to purchase a slave and put him fight, as you win games you buy more slaves / armor / train gladiators etc. but this is an old game (2002)
    PS2:
    Shadow of rome: you partialy play in arena but this games is more based on the assassination of caesar and so goes the storyline.

How about Gladius?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius_%28video_game%29

Xbox and PS2. Tactical Combat with 'swing meters' that had you involved on every attack. Different classes, leveling up and abilities and equipment should satisfy your RPG want.

I don't remember if it had good cutscenes or anything... I don't think so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gladius was AWESOME. Loved that game played it through a bunch of times.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Gladius is _the shit_ it is awesome, old but well one of my favorite games of all times. Round based combat, neat abilites and tons of customization of your own gladiator school.

Gladius sounds very promising. Looks awsome actually. Ill check it out

Yeah, I'm going to have add another vote for Gladius. Great game, pretty decent story, great music. The only things I can think of that might not mesh with your OP is that it does take a little more than a pinch of fantasy (bestial races, undead), and you're never really "winning the crowd" so to speak. However, it's one of the best SRPGs to come out this side of the pond, and I'm really hoping that we'll see a sequel or spiritual successor someday.

Might want to give the God of War franchise a look aswell. Not entirely gladiator themed but I'd say it's pretty close and they're all rather amazing games with at least a decent story.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasstapp View Post
    Might want to give the God of War franchise a look aswell. Not entirely gladiator themed but I'd say it's pretty close and they're all rather amazing games with at least a decent story.
    Not gladiator themed, nor Roman themed and the story is terrible. A classic "Hollywood" slaughter of Greek mythology.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Not gladiator themed
    I already said that. I don't quite see how you can say it's not roman themed considering just about everything that happens has something to do with either Rome itself or greek mythology.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    I already said that. I don't quite see how you can say it's not roman themed considering just about everything that happens has something to do with either Rome itself or greek mythology.
    Maybe because that Rome = Italy and the Roman Empire, where as God of War is all about the greek mythology. Two different countries. Nothing in GoW has anything to do with Rome, nor is Rome even mentioned as it's all about mythology. Sparta and Athens are about the only real-world places mentioned in the games, not to mention it's supposed to take place a heck of a long time before the Rise of Rome...... Jeesh, basic history fail honestly.
    Last edited by Venziir; 2013-02-17 at 04:14 PM.

Maybe because that Rome = Italy and the Roman Empire, where as God of War is all about the greek mythology. Two different countries. Nothing in GoW has anything to do with Rome, nor is Rome even mentioned as it's all about mythology. Sparta and Athens are about the only real-world places mentioned in the games, not to mention it's supposed to take place a heck of a long time before the Rise of Rome...... Jeesh, basic history fail honestly.
    History fail? If anything it's a geography fail, and I don't really see why you're so hostile.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    History fail? If anything it's a geography fail, and I don't really see why you're so hostile.
    It's a history fail, a cultural knowledge fail and a geography fail. And my hostility, even it it wasn't intended, is rooted in shock really.

Not gladiator themed, nor Roman themed and the story is terrible. A classic "Hollywood" slaughter of Greek mythology.
    I tend to not play action games for their story. Devil May Cry story is also terrible, but the games are fantastic. You might call God of War a slaughter of Greek mythology but I think it's cool that they at least touched on the theme. There aren't many games that do that. Did you really come into this thread just to hate on the series?

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I tend to not play action games for their story. Devil May Cry story is also terrible, but the games are fantastic. You might call God of War a slaughter of Greek mythology but I think it's cool that they at least touched on the theme. There aren't many games that do that. Did you really come into this thread just to hate on the series?
    Some people get angry when someone doesn't know something that is to them common knowledge, for some reason. It might be a silly mistake but I didn't see the need for the drama either....

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Did you really come into this thread just to hate on the series?
    I think he came in to the thread asking about gladiator-themed games to say that God of War does not fit the description that the OP was requesting because it's neither gladiator themed nor does it have anything to do with gladiator arenas. That's my take on in, I thought it was pretty obvious. It would be like someone suggesting Samurai Shodown or Last Blade, because there is fighting with weapons in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalliah View Post
    LOL Awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading this thread title actually reminded me I have a Gladius game I never finished.

Temptation to go boot up the Gamecube and play it rising...
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Reading this thread actually reminded me I have a Gladius game I never finished..

Temptation to go boot up the Gamecube and play it rising..
    Well? What are you waiting for? Perhaps THIS will rekindle your interest?

Also, I was incorrect earlier, there is a crowd meter that can give boosts to your gladiators. I forgot about that mechanic there when posting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Well? What are you waiting for? Perhaps THIS will rekindle your interest?
    I also have a Fire Emblem game and another run through of Ikaruga to play, so it's hard to choose which one to do first.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.