Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

How did you come up with your name?

When I started playing WoW I also bought some sort of thick Strategy guide. It was filled with flaws though as almost everything was based on the Beta. But there was one topic in that book + a cartoon about how to choose a name.

It was suggested that if you didn't have any inspiration, you could look around from where you were sitting and conjure up a name with the items that were there.

So the cartoon that followed this suggestion depicted a character who introduced himself to 2 other players. "Hi I am Armchair, son of Lavalamp and Milkbottle." (not exact quote). While a pretty funny cartoon... It took me a while to conjure up a name. Then I realised that perhaps a name that I had played before during Dungeons & Dragons might be a good one. Played that game from when I was 13 or something until I was 23 with breaks inbetween. But that name had a "used" feeling.

So I eddited a little. The way it is made up now was:
    - playing a paladin - one aspect of this = valour

But naming a character Valour would be a bit lame.

- I played the D&D Campaignsetting "Birthright". Included in the box was a namechart. Lots of names had "ae" in it when it would normally be an "a".

So I gathered Vaelour. Still sucked to me. And then I remember reading LOTR. Lorien or Lothlorien (forgive my spelling). Which in turn made my name: Vaelorian, not exactly Vaelorien but somehow this didn't seem right.

So how did you come up with your name?

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My favourite DBZ character Gohan, and favourite animal Cobra -Gobra

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    My favourite DBZ character Gohan, and favourite animal Cobra -Gobra
    Haha nice - When I saw your name before on another post, I thought you had seen the cartoon/comic: GIJOE and took a form of "Cobra" from there.

"Naturvetaren"

Well, long story short: I transfered to my friends realm, and joined his guild! I had to come up with a new name so me and him were brainstorming for like an hour or so.
    Then suddenly he came up with the best idea ever. Natuvetaren, is a so called swedish word and for a direct translation it means: "Nature knower" or "Knower of nature".
    Why? Because, shamans has nature spells and if you're a shaman you pretty know everything about nature. Silly i know, but I kinda like it - it's very unique!
    Spotify - Hardstyle | Hardcore

I just typed something in. Put some letters together, and hoped it seemed right for an Orc Hunter.. And that's how Gereorth was born. And basicly from that moment on (as the name is realy unique and put to me) I use it in every game as my main character and on basicly every forum. It's so that people know it's me.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    I just typed something in. Put some letters together, and hoped it seemed right for an Orc Hunter.. And that's how Gereorth was born. And basicly from that moment on (as the name is realy unique and put to me) I use it in every game as my main character and on basicly every forum. It's so that people know it's me.
    Yeah very nice name tbh. I also think that the way you went about it, seems pretty right for an orc.

My name was very unique all the way through TBC. But somehow at WOLTK several Vaelorian's popped up on the Armory. Very very annoying...

I played a frost mage during Vanilla. The word cryo or cryos (κρύο) is Greek and means "icy cold" (from crystallos). In Germany we use K instead of C so my icy mage got his name Kryos.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

http://supcom.wikia.com/wiki/Cybran_Nation

The Cybrans are the 2nd faction ​in Supreme Commander. They are fighting for their independence, after many years of enslavement by the Earth Forces.
    I love stories of people fighting for freedom so i picked Cybran. Slavery and oppression hit very close to my heart. Sadly 2.5 years ago i changed realm and the names was already taken so i had to change it :s

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Haha nice - When I saw your name before on another post, I thought you had seen the cartoon/comic: GIJOE and took a form of "Cobra" from there.
    i do love the GIJoe series though so not a bad guess^^ What's worse is in game people seem to see "Cobra" as that's what alot of people call me -.-'

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hit the Random box til I got one that sounded alright. Wasn't that creative...

10+ Year Old Account
    "Breathtaking, isn't it? We called it Toma(h)na." - Myst III : Exile
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Yeah very nice name tbh. I also think that the way you went about it, seems pretty right for an orc.

My name was very unique all the way through TBC. But somehow at WOLTK several Vaelorian's popped up on the Armory. Very very annoying...
    I can consider myself lucky that I am the only one with the name Gereorth. I just checked to be sure. Both US and EU. Only one character named that way.
    Probably because I am the only one who can relate with that name. All the way since Vanilla uptill Cata (and some MoP content, played with my Shadow Priest for PvP instead). I even continue on with the same name in different games. And it's amusing how people seem to recognize me. "Hey! Aren't you that Orc Hunter from Darkspear?" and I find it amusing to see.

Someone once claimed he had a friend in real with the same name. And I don't believe him, even when you google 'Gereorth' all you get is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    And it's amusing how people seem to recognize me. "Hey! Aren't you that Orc Hunter from Darkspear?" and I find it amusing to see.
    Yeah I had the same until it was possible to LFD Xserver. Then poof... gone reputation, gone "fame" (if you should look at it like that).

Deleted
    Tried to get something that sounded right to a fantasy game and suited my Warlock....
    Thats how Zahadem was born

10+ Year Old Account
    I anagrammed my favorite Starcraft unit to sound like a proper dwarven name.

The Protoss Archon is a being of immense psionic energy, the joining of two minds into one. It is a chaotic balance of limitless potential.

This is also why Chonar is pronounced as 'Kho-nar', instead of 'Tsjo-nar'.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    believe it or not this name popped up in the random name generator back in vanilla for my orc warlock. as of mid way thru cata (after i quit) i was suprisingly the only Dokilar on any server. i was always surprised since being picked thru the random name generator surely someone else would have either picked it either cause they liked it, or they just hit it once and it popped up.

that being said, i use this name in all my games nowadays, and most of my guildmates just call me "doc" for short

I have used Itisamuh - and variants of it - for pretty much everything for many years. It evolved from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhadLMDWcGA

Deleted
    The name Vellerix wasn't always my tag, but it became so in a rather strange fashion, before that I'd always change names/races rather frequently, and in vanilla/tbc I was younger and had some stupid names.

It started when goblins game out in cata, I wanted to make a goblin rogue and was thinking of goblin sounded names, I thought of Willix the importer from RFK, and began thinking of variations. Eventually I landed on Vellix, and that became my goblin's name.

After a while I joined a guild and made a group of friends that I still play with every day to this day, they just knew me as vellix, and because that sort of became my "tag" I made variations of it for each of my characters, so vellerix was the next one, and the one I played the most after. It is also my battletag, yeah there are better names, but once you are known by something it's hard to change it :P

10+ Year Old Account
    My current main in WoW, and account name on some other sites is Valyyri. I came up with it while I was writing about a group of people in a story, and they resemble the Valkyrie in some ways, so I made something up from that. It was only a temporary name but I liked it enough to name my new main that since it's Undead and I wanted a somewhat fitting name.

By the way, OP, I bought the same guide when I first started (along with dungeon guide/art book/atlas) and the comic strips in that guide was made my the guys from Penny Arcade. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic) Their comics mostly make fun of different games (WoW included), and gamers lives in general. Worth checking out if you enjoy comic strips.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt