High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Electricity Question

So we have the old style screw in fuses for the house, and my mom just blew a fuse using the hair dryer. When it came back on I yelled down "its on" and she said "but I didn't put 1 back in". We left it out since its working, i'm not much into electricity but how can taking 1 out restore power?!

Deleted
    Ugh in dutch I could explain but I don't know any english terms

Sorry mate

I am a mechanical engineer not an electrical one, so I only know a little on the topic. But typically when removing a component and restoring power to subsequent components it means that they are wired in parallel, or "next-to" so to speak instead of in series with the fuse. Which almost seems to negate the point of having a fuse anyways. Unless of the course the parallel circuit is also running through a fuse, in which case means that the outlets that went out are now simply drawing power through a different fuse and you should be fine. Other than that, I guess the current would have to be jumping from somewhere else to be able to power the fuse-less circuit, which could be quite bad. My last guess would be that the fuse that blew was actually for a different section of the house and that a "safety-check" type system was built in as to cause the section that the hair dryer was in to go down when a different fuse blew.

My suggestion, get a new replacement fuse identical to the one removed, because it can't hurt to have it in, as it did blow once so it was being used by something. But if when you put in a new one, it causes things to go off again, you're going to want to check with an electrician or someone with my knowledge than myself. Other than that, check to make sure no other outlets aren't working or ask neighboring houses as typically nearby houses are built with similar "guts"(wiring, foundation, piping, ect.) assuming they/you didn't remodel recently.

I don't really know but I could try and take a guess. Maybe there's some sort of safeguard in the circuitry. The different fuses are probably arranged in parallel, but maybe if there is too much resistance going through a blown fuse it knows to cut the power to the whole thing so it doesn't start a fire or something. Then when you took it out it realized that there was absolutely no current across that fuse socket so it must be gone and it proceeded to send current to the rest of the fuses. Definitely not sure of any of that though.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarff View Post
    I am a mechanical engineer not an electrical one, so I only know a little on the topic. But typically when removing a component and restoring power to subsequent components it means that they are wired in parallel, or "next-to" so to speak instead of in series with the fuse. Which almost seems to negate the point of having a fuse anyways. Unless of the course the parallel circuit is also running through a fuse, in which case means that the outlets that went out are now simply drawing power through a different fuse and you should be fine. Other than that, I guess the current would have to be jumping from somewhere else to be able to power the fuse-less circuit, which could be quite bad. My last guess would be that the fuse that blew was actually for a different section of the house and that a "safety-check" type system was built in as to cause the section that the hair dryer was in to go down when a different fuse blew.

My suggestion, get a new replacement fuse identical to the one removed, because it can't hurt to have it in, as it did blow once so it was being used by something. But if when you put in a new one, it causes things to go off again, you're going to want to check with an electrician or someone with my knowledge than myself. Other than that, check to make sure no other outlets aren't working or ask neighboring houses as typically nearby houses are built with similar "guts"(wiring, foundation, piping, ect.) assuming they/you didn't remodel recently.
    Thanks for the info, you seam to know what your talking about. Its a house we are renting so no idea on remodeling, its very old to the point it has a all dirt basement/cellar you can only get to by lifting a rather heavy wooden hatch! And we checked the rest of the house and everything seams to be working so I know it wasn't to anything else. Oh well, seams to be working just fine without it! Just found it interesting! I'll keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure a fire doesn't start or anything!
    Last edited by jmmathe1988; 2013-02-15 at 08:37 PM.

Are you sure it didn't blow the GFI on either the circuit or the hair dryer rather than the fuse?

This is a GFI:
    https://www.realtown.com/uploads/150...eceptacles.jpg

All outlets in your house near water(next to sinks, tubs, etc.) should be on a circuit with a GFI. Also there is usually a similar set-up on the plug of the hair dryer.

As far as I know there's really only two things you could have done. Either the GFI blew and you reset it without realizing and the fuse you took out isn't actually used. Or there's a short and the circuit is somehow getting power when it shouldn't be(with the fuse out).

Try putting the blown fuse back in and see if the power goes out again. If it does you've got a problem and should call your landlord about it immediately.

Also I'd look into the code where you live because a lot of places are coding out those types of boxes anyway so it very well could be illegal for your landlord to be renting that house.

If he won't do anything submit something in writing so that you have proof you told them about the problem that way if you do have a fire or something then you have some recourse against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarff View Post

I am an electronics major, and this could not be the problem. If a parallel circuit is the cause(using that term loosely), then it would not have broken in the first place because there would have always been a path for the electricity to follow on the other path.

OT: I suggest to check the continuity of the fuse you removed(unless you can visibly see that the connection is broken) its possible that the fuse you removed had nothing to do with the outlet that you are diagnosing. Because removing a fuse cannot in any circumstance restore power to a circuit. (Putting lets say a penny in the slot, however, would)

Without knowing more information that is all I can offer you. Worse comes to worst hire an electrician and come look at it, but he may have you remove the fuse box and install a breaker box. (I don't know that for sure though - I think fuse boxes are not up to fire codes any more.)
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    I admit to having a nice diabolic cackle now and then, but it's not like I'm sitting in front of a bank of monitors each filled with an angry forum thread, stroking a siamese cat and telling my henchmen that they've failed me for the last time. (Source)

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexpower3 View Post
    I am an electronics major, and this could not be the problem. If a parallel circuit is the cause(using that term loosely), then it would not have broken in the first place because there would have always been a path for the electricity to follow on the other path.

OT: I suggest to check the continuity of the fuse you removed(unless you can visibly see that the connection is broken) its possible that the fuse you removed had nothing to do with the outlet that you are diagnosing. Because removing a fuse cannot in any circumstance restore power to a circuit. (Putting lets say a penny in the slot, however, would)

Without knowing more information that is all I can offer you. Worse comes to worst hire an electrician and come look at it, but he may have you remove the fuse box and install a breaker box. (I don't know that for sure though - I think fuse boxes are not up to fire codes any more.)
    Id go look at it but I am not sure which 1 she pulled out, there is a few bad fuses sitting down there by the box and she would be the only 1 to know which 1 she pulled! I'll have to ask her when she gets off work, its happened to me several times since we been here with the sweeper but the power wouldn't come on till I put a fuse in! And I didn't think it was possible, I mean everything I know about electricity is when you break the chain/link its not suppose to work! I am betting your right though, I bet she pulled a fuse that has nothing to do with the outlets we were trying to get power too! But then again everything seams to be working, its not a big house and ive went around and checked whats working, even the garbage disposal and it all checked out!

There are also fuses that reset themselves. Current makes the fuse hot, too much current makes the fuse hot enough to open. Then when the fuse cools again it closes. If she removed the fuse and is using the same circuit that it is on, there should be no electricity. If you can use the power without the fuse you shouldnt though because its there for a reason like preventing fire or electrocution.

I was an electrician for a while and now have an eleictrical engineering degree, and there is no possible way removing a fuse would restore power. like someone said above, She probably just tripped a GFCI and then reset it unknowingly. She also probably removed a fuse from another circuit that doesnt get used much. Either that or the guy who wired your place did a seriously bad job, ignoring state and national electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexpower3 View Post

Ya, i guess i used the term parallel a little to lightly there, I basically just meant to say that the electricity is seemingly making it to the outlets through another path, or that the fuse did not have anything to do with the outlets that went out.

And on the mention that someone else brought up about the GFI or fuses that reset, wouldn't removing the fuse completely still cause everything that went through the fuse to still be down? And if he mentioned checking all the outlets and them all working that either the fuse was never being used or somehow electricity is make it there through another path.

Lastly, as someone mentioned, you should probably notify your landlord because he might know more on the issue or could call(and pay for ) electrian to come inspect it. With no cost to you, it's definitely an issue worth looking into.