Thread: Shadow of death

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Shadow of death

Am I the only one who wants this ability to come back?
    It was a really fun spell and it really was unique to our class to rezz as a ghoul and keep fighting.
    I my personal opinion it felt kind of lazy to remove it

Link to spell
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Shadow_of_Death

fixed link
    Last edited by mmoc1df05d2972; 2013-02-15 at 10:50 PM.

It was so imbalanced though anyway you look at it.

If it worked in pvp at all, that one time you would rez and hit for near normal damage with the ability to kill people. It was foolish. In pve it didn't really have much benefit because if you died, thats an issue on its own.

People make mistakes and die, it happens. Shadow of Death was a lot of fun.

I believe the primary reason for its removal was the fact that they couldn't get it to work consistently and properly the way they intended it to. Whether 'current tech' would allow for that, I don't know...
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

It was bugged to hell and removed for reasons somewhat similar to those that saw Divine Intervention go. They even tried bringing the latter spell back during the MoP Beta internal builds, to no avail.
    As it is, there's bosses (looking at you Imperial Vizier) that bug out and don't reset due to existing mechanics such as Invisibility. Shadow of Death would likely complicate that further.
    It was certainly fun while it lasted though.
    @MagdalenaDK
    Plaguebearer

<Magdalena> There's really no way to say "There's a two hour long video of me on the Internet", without it sounding dirty is there?
    <Mionepony> Especially not if it's you...

I liked the old raise ally, too. Obviously getting a real battle-res was a buff, don't get me wrong, but the old version was awesome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    It was so imbalanced though anyway you look at it.

If it worked in pvp at all, that one time you would rez and hit for near normal damage with the ability to kill people. It was foolish. In pve it didn't really have much benefit because if you died, thats an issue on its own.
    It was absolutely amazing to counter berserk timers. Our first Anub'Rekhan kill in Naxx was done by me, in ghoul form right after he enraged and wiped our raid. That was so much fun .

But you're right, it was imbalanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then I propose, make it not work in PvP, and make it baseline for all DKs.

How many raid groups do you know without at least 1 dk? It would bring back a little flavour, and a little "heroic" to the our class.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    I liked the old raise ally, too. Obviously getting a real battle-res was a buff, don't get me wrong, but the old version was awesome.
    I wish we could glyph it so that when we BREZ someone, they come back with a 5 minute debuff that gives them a ghoul appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena View Post
    It was bugged to hell and removed for reasons somewhat similar to those that saw Divine Intervention go.
    I thought DI was removed due to it being a spell to remove your repair cost rather than being useful ... an mainly being used to piss people off in raids.

Because that's why I used it

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    I thought DI was removed due to it being a spell to remove your repair cost rather than being useful ... an mainly being used to piss people off in raids.

Because that's why I used it
    I liked it. It gave me a very good reason to be friendly to my guilds paladins
    Pretend this is a amazing sig with my character holding an legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    That too. It was originally meant for wipe recovery, but then they made most of the dungeons short and added teleporters to the longer dungeons and raids, so it was no longer necessary. But they let shamans keep reincarnation, so really it was more bugging encounters than anything else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Shadow of Death was incredibly fun, but also incredibly hard to balance. Most of the time it was op or bugged. If it was a balanced ability it would be very underwhelming by todays standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't trade actual battle Rez for it in any circumstance.

Of course not, nobody would. It's still a shame to lose that unique feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    They could change purgatory to shadow of death ;P

I miss it, along with all our other initial DK abilities.

It was cool but I can understand why they got rid of it.
    Be nice if you could spawn a weak NPC ghoul on death or something though, just for flavour.

Or auto selfcast Corpse Explosion.

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was such a class defining ability... Its removal screamed "We are lazy and don't want to fix it" rather than the actual spell being imbalanced. How was it imbalanced? In the end you would die anyway.

A simple mechanism to make it not work in arenas would have been fine, without reducing its duration like they did (45 sec to 25) and then Blizz increasing its cooldown to 15 minutes...

It added flavor. It added to our image. It made us masters of death.
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

What if Blizzard turns it into 'unique' battle ress means when you run out of bresses you can raise one dead player into ghoul with the player's attributes and stats?