Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What was Northrend like, you know, before the scourge?

So I just did a daily quest in Northrend for the Sunreavers (Silver Covenant). The quest involves you getting some flowers for a lonely maiden in the Drak'mar lake. Quest

So you get her the flowers and she says the following words: It's been so long since a traveler has come here bearing flowers. The lake has been too lonely these past years. The travelers stopped coming and evil came to these waters.

So from these words I can only assume that Northrend was not always the scourge infested land it is today. What was it like before the scourge and before the Lich King?

Deleted
    Finland /10char

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletnips View Post
    Finland /10char
    this... totally this

Of course!

You might want to read this.

Northrend has been plagued with war for a very, very long time, but before that I can only imagine that Icecrown was northing more then an icy tundra, and the rest remained pretty much the same.

According to the Arthas book, there were still human settlements in Northrend when he was a child. But they got run over by a mysterious force (by the Lich King himself when he came), and Lordaeron lost contact with the humans in Northrend. They decided not to look after them for some reason.

For the rest, the continent was basically an emtpy wasteland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggasson View Post
    So I just did a daily quest in Northrend for the Sunreavers (Silver Covenant). The quest involves you getting some flowers for a lonely maiden in the Drak'mar lake. Quest

So you get her the flowers and she says the following words: It's been so long since a traveler has come here bearing flowers. The lake has been too lonely these past years. The travelers stopped coming and evil came to these waters.

So from these words I can only assume that Northrend was not always the scourge infested land it is today. What was it like before the scourge and before the Lich King?
    Well, of course the scourge haven't always been in Northrend; they didn't exist up until relatively recently.

If you're asking about immediately before the Lich king/scourge rolled in, the eastern part was likely ruled by the Drakkari, with scattered hunter/trapper, Furbolg, and Taunka villages interspersed (as it more or less is now.) Dragonblight was likely wholly under the control of Wyrmrest accord, with the Nerubians minding their own business down in Azjol'Nerub. In the western section, Sholazar basin would be completely under the control of Titan watchers, while Borean tundra would likely be little more than scattered Magnataur and gorloc tribes, with the Taunka and Kalu'ak maintaining the only pronounced settlements in the region (Coldarra obviously being ruled by the blue Dragonflight.) The only real mystery one would be Storm Peaks... It's not entirely clear how long it had been corrupted by Yogg-Saron, so (excluding the single scourge camp) it very likely may have appeared the same as it does now. Icecrown was likely a barren glacier prior to the scourge's arrival, baring one or two small Nerubian settlements.

If you're speaking historically, Northrend, at least on the surface, was previously ruled by the Vrykul, Drakkari, and at some point in time, Night Elves.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Depends in what timeframe.

Directly before the Scourge the Vrykul had been asleep for thousands of years, the Trolls mostly kept to themselves in Zul'drak and the Nerubians rarely ventured above ground. The humans in Grizzly Hills eeked out their peaceful lives, Dragons came and went from the Dragonblight and Coldarra and various giants went about their daily routine. Apart from the Magnataur things were mostly farily pleasant.

There is some indication though that the Iron Dwarves and Earthen/Giants had been at war for several thousand years.

Deleted
    Finland /10char

bears, moose and vikings? oh and a lot of snow of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    And of course pony trekking and camping or just watching TV.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    No vikings in Finland, just tall dwarves :P

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Finland /10char
    This is pretty much what i would picture it to be

10+ Year Old Account
    Go Play Skyrim.

Deleted
    Ok. Thank you everyone.

Deleted
    That quest annoyed the hell out of me! It always involved you flying out of your way to get it done (Back then we didn't have 310% either, well, not unless you were good.) to Answer your question, the Trolls/Vrykul/Spiders would rule the continent. I could imagine that there has always been War in Northrend. Don't forget, The Titans were there building Ulduar and that giant path all the way to Wyrmrest. I don't think it's ever been quiet really...

Deleted
    It feels more like Norway. Names sound like norway or iceland. But i dont really think even Blizzard itself knows what they mimicked, its a mesh of every skandi country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Vrykul and such?
    I believe they went into hibernation like the Earthen shortly after the Sundering, though it might have been well before that.

Deleted
    Finland /10char
    Yeah, depressing, melting snow, fat drunks and capital full of immigrants. And giving money to other countries.

Don't forget Taunka!

Icecrown was just massive glacier. Blue Dragons guarded Nexus and Crystalsong.

By the way, Human settlements on Northrend probably are the oldest in Azeroth.

Tuskarrland