Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiadam View Post
    If a ret pally has righteous fury on, it's a fun challenge. Tanks destroy dps damage leveling up anyway, doesn't matter if they get the threat multiplier or not. During leveling, the vast majority of my dungeons, when the run is over, the tank has done more damage than the three dps and healer combined over the course of the instance. Be that guy.
    Vengeance is so broken at low levels if you aren't that guy you're doing something very very wrong.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    because everyone should just do everything the tank says? its not a dictatorship.
    Traditionally, it is. Tanks own the group. They set the pace. They are the vital piece in the group. The whole design of the game is asymmetrical set up to make the tank and healer roles more important.

One of the benefits of being DPS is that you have absolutely no responsibility. Especially in these low level dungeons, you spam one button. Tanks have almost all the responsibility. So let them learn the most important part of their role: responsibility.

My main is a pure DPS class in almost full 509 gear, and I would never think of pulling mobs the tank didn't pull. At its base it's just poor manners and disrespectful of his role in the group.

Best way to get people to not complain about your tanking is to activate InsaneMode(TM). The goal is to never leave combat the entire run. Build enough threat on a boss then let dps finish him while you start more trash. No mana breaks, if anyone dies they have to run back, no rezzes. No looting, no talking either. Its best if you can group with melee who can dps and run at the same time.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Deleted
    I play a Prot Paladin, Guardian/Resto Druid and a Prot/Fury Warrior.

Whenever you do a dungeon just don't stop moving. Get your Hunter/Rogue to constantly bring new stuff to you with Tricks/MD. Keep an eye on your healer's mana bar and if it dips low ask if he wants to drink (if someone runs off while you're typing this (keep it short anyway though. "Want MB?" is usually enough) allow them to die). If he says no, continue dashing from pack to pack.

Earth Ele and I think (?) Stampede spams taunts/very high aggro abilities, don't fret about them pulling a mob off you from time to time because as soon as they die you'll get threat back.

Oh, and when you do pull a room full (the Cathedral in SM heroic comes to mind) for god's sake pop a cooldown and help your healer out. The amount of tanks I've had with like 370k HP run in and pull that entire room with nothing up then get pounded into a fine red paste within milliseconds are too many to count.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mexa View Post
    Yes, its very annoying to lvl your 6th character when the tank wants to take it slow and show the entire group who sets the pace and stuff.
    I've leveled somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 or more characters, many of which were tanks. You know how you can spot a good tank? I can keep the healer alive, and all the moronic DPS who think they are the shit are laying dead on the ground. I absolutely LOVE being able to toss agro around to get people killed like that. You want to pull ahead of me? By all means, but you're tanking it. I just keep agro off the healer. I've had so many people drop out of my groups because of their stupidity, it's not even funny.

I don't care what anyone says, or how anyone thinks they want to play, the tank sets the pace. Sure, in lower-level dungeons you can get away with not having a tank, and in higher ones if your gear is good enough. But ultimately, if the tank can't handle what's being thrown at him, and you try to pile on more, you are going to wipe the group. It's generally polite to let the tank, I don't know, do their job or something, and you sit there and stick pointy objects into whatever HE/SHE decides to pull. If they aren't pulling fast enough, say something POLITELY about it. If the healer thinks they can handle it, and the tank has no problems with it, then it will happen. But not everybody is e-peen flexingly confident in their ability to play this game; we aren't all elitist assholes. If you are DPS, and the tank is frustrating you to no end, then drop the group and deal with the queue. Deal with the tank, or deal with the queue, those are your options.

If you want to be an elitist asshole and start pulling your own shit ahead of the tank, you better PRAY you aren't in a group with a tank like me. I will make SURE you end up with one hell of a repair bill by the end of the instance, you can count on that. Don't like it? Roll your own fucking tank. You're in even more trouble if I happen to be on a character, say, a rogue, that I can use to give you agro over the tank that you are harassing for no reason. You. Will. Eat. Dirt. I will go out of my way to make sure you do. Just sit back, let the tank pull, poke things until they're dead, and before you know it the instance is over. Stop trying to be a hero, stop trying to flex your e-peen. If everybody does the job they queued up for, everything will go perfectly fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's half because Low level dungeons are a joke, and you literaly can chain pull most of them, Also if people feel they wish to tank let them, When i do dungeons, and I've leveled a Druid/Warr and Pala, i always say "you pull it, you tank it" I have zero problem with people pulling, aslong as they are a hunter and MD, or they take it themselves.
    The key is to watch your healers mana, if it's draining fast that means they are having to spam heal and you're pulling too much for their gear, or your own, so slow down, other than that it's pretty much gogogo

In an ideal world though, we would use CC, and talk to each other etc, i loved that in TBC, but dungeons just got easier so there was less reason for it, Not like in MGT and the last trash pull before the final boss, if you didn't CC that properly you were generally screwed lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    Ive found that it doesnt matter what you do in low lvl dungeons, as the tank you will always be to blame for anything that goes wrong, reguardless of whos at fault. Dps face pulls room full of casters and makes its impossible for the tank to gather them all up with LoS, healer gets killed, group wipes...FAIL TANK!!!! Healer tells you to pull BIG packs, so you pull 2-3 packs, you die, you get called a shit tank by the healer in half agility gear. Bottom line, people are asshats, it's in their nature. They will always try to blame their short comings on someone else, in game and IRL, fact of life. The only way to stop it is to not queue and lower lvls. Once you get to 80 and higher the healers and dps tend to have a better grasp at what their roll is, and have more tools in their bags that allow you to pull at a fast rate.
    If in any non-heroic dungeon (especially lower level ones) you pull 2-3 packs and die, you are a really fucking bad tank. Having leveled every tank, you can easily live through 5-7 seconds of 3 packs with NO healing, unless you have no clue what you are doing. Even tanks like warriors who dont have self heals can focus on the weaker mobs, and with vengence easily kill them one by one, victory rushing for 50% of your hp every time you kill one.
    Use your cooldowns, there is a reason you have them.

Most dungeons i tank at low levels i pull 2 groups and then kill them myself, as the dps usually add up to 20% of the total damage done, and the healer rarely does anything but renew/rejuv/riptide me. With good healers I can pull without stopping, maybe backpedaling when i have a lot of shit on me.

Oh I also never die, because I get used to my healer before pulling tons.

Id say its about lvl 30-40 before I even notice the other people in my groups.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I've leveled somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 or more characters, many of which were tanks. You know how you can spot a good tank? I can keep the healer alive, and all the moronic DPS who think they are the shit are laying dead on the ground. I absolutely LOVE being able to toss agro around to get people killed like that. You want to pull ahead of me? By all means, but you're tanking it. I just keep agro off the healer. I've had so many people drop out of my groups because of their stupidity, it's not even funny.

I don't care what anyone says, or how anyone thinks they want to play, the tank sets the pace. Sure, in lower-level dungeons you can get away with not having a tank, and in higher ones if your gear is good enough. But ultimately, if the tank can't handle what's being thrown at him, and you try to pile on more, you are going to wipe the group. It's generally polite to let the tank, I don't know, do their job or something, and you sit there and stick pointy objects into whatever HE/SHE decides to pull. If they aren't pulling fast enough, say something POLITELY about it. If the healer thinks they can handle it, and the tank has no problems with it, then it will happen. But not everybody is e-peen flexingly confident in their ability to play this game; we aren't all elitist assholes. If you are DPS, and the tank is frustrating you to no end, then drop the group and deal with the queue. Deal with the tank, or deal with the queue, those are your options.

If you want to be an elitist asshole and start pulling your own shit ahead of the tank, you better PRAY you aren't in a group with a tank like me. I will make SURE you end up with one hell of a repair bill by the end of the instance, you can count on that. Don't like it? Roll your own fucking tank. You're in even more trouble if I happen to be on a character, say, a rogue, that I can use to give you agro over the tank that you are harassing for no reason. You. Will. Eat. Dirt. I will go out of my way to make sure you do. Just sit back, let the tank pull, poke things until they're dead, and before you know it the instance is over. Stop trying to be a hero, stop trying to flex your e-peen. If everybody does the job they queued up for, everything will go perfectly fine.
    I've 4 manned heroics after the tanks leave.

I've also killed Elegon in LFR with no tank (after they both died to the first floor drop). Also once did the last boss with one tank after one DC'd, just had a bunch of melee tanking the second boss.

Tanks are really just... useful, not required, for pugs these days tbh.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-02-15 at 11:40 PM.

Deleted
    i hate dps/healers pulling, im already pulling 2-3 groups at a time and pulling a next one when the first of those dies (while most of the time keeping myself alive cause the healer is afk -.-" ).
    yet when im nice enough too let someone catch up quickly cause he/she fell behind for what ever reason i get all obscenities thrown at me, its not like i stood there aimless looking around for more then 1 minute, but noooooooo waiting a few sec for someone too catch up is a no go and makes me a-hole. so the rest go face pulling and if that ticks me of so i ignore there pulls cause they didnt have the decenty too wait im the even bigger A-hole!

(sorry needed too vent, from a really douchebag group i had today)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkpower View Post
    Or are we just not pulling fast enough for them?
    Why do you need that wall of text when you already knew the answer and can summarise it in 1 line is beyond me.

Oh man, LFR and heroics are good examples of needing to be good at your roles. And we wonder why the playerbase is so diluted these days.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I've leveled somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 ...blah blah blah... will go out of my way to make sure you do. Just sit back, let the tank pull, poke things until they're dead, and before you know it the instance is over. Stop trying to be a hero, stop trying to flex your e-peen. If everybody does the job they queued up for, everything will go perfectly fine.
    Sounds like you have a fetish for pissing people off and making them leave your groups. Sounds like it happens a lot too. Sounds like you are purposefully very, very slow, which by the way makes you a very, very poor tank.

It really does mean you're not pulling fast enough imo. When I'm leveling my alts through dungeons I want to be chain pulling at absurd speeds. I have no interest in anything that happens between character creation and max level when I'm working on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 8th, 11th alts. It's all about speed and efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumash View Post
    Sounds like you have a fetish for pissing people off and making them leave your groups. Sounds like it happens a lot too. Sounds like you are purposefully very, very slow, which by the way makes you a very, very poor tank.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Dudes just on a power trip.

I mean with threat as trivial as it is these days I don't see why this would even be an issue, all tanks pretty much auto cleave in their rotation and would have to go out of their way to do less threat to even come close to losing agro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    It really does mean you're not pulling fast enough imo. When I'm leveling my alts through dungeons I want to be chain pulling at absurd speeds. I have no interest in anything that happens between character creation and max level when I'm working on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 8th, 11th alts. It's all about speed and efficiency.
    All I can say to that is, welcome to the world of MMOs, where everyone plays in different ways. Some people don't care about max level, and enjoy playing all the in-between that you're trying to burn through. Incompatibilities in playstyle is something you're going to run into a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiadam View Post
    If a ret pally has righteous fury on, it's a fun challenge. Tanks destroy dps damage leveling up anyway, doesn't matter if they get the threat multiplier or not. During leveling, the vast majority of my dungeons, when the run is over, the tank has done more damage than the three dps and healer combined over the course of the instance. Be that guy.
    that's not actually true anymore though, specially not if the dps have heirlooms, after 5.0 at least. the dps can easily be the ones topping the meters. even if running with a decent+ tank

Quote Originally Posted by felhunter View Post
    i hate dps/healers pulling, im already pulling 2-3 groups at a time and pulling a next one when the first of those dies (while most of the time keeping myself alive cause the healer is afk -.-" ).
    yet when im nice enough too let someone catch up quickly cause he/she fell behind for what ever reason i get all obscenities thrown at me, its not like i stood there aimless looking around for more then 1 minute, but noooooooo waiting a few sec for someone too catch up is a no go and makes me a-hole. so the rest go face pulling and if that ticks me of so i ignore there pulls cause they didnt have the decenty too wait im the even bigger A-hole!

(sorry needed too vent, from a really douchebag group i had today)
    When I am in heroics I usually pull as much as I (and my healer) can handle at one time. If dps pull extras, (unless it was accidental) I let them tank it. If they die I pick it up (If they dont whats the problem?). If its too much and I die too, I say something simple like dont do that shit again plz. If they do, votekick. So far that simple strategy has not failed me yet.

I should also add that I am not a slow tank that pisses people off.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumash View Post
    Speed doesn't make you a good tank. No matter how many times you say it does, it's not going to be true.

There was a statement once that 80% of the playerbase wasn't max level. Just because you're racing to max level doesn't mean you get to impose that will on the group if you're not the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacebot View Post
    that's not actually true anymore though, specially not if the dps have heirlooms, after 5.0 at least. the dps can easily be the ones topping the meters. even if running with a decent+ tank
    Is true for me. Leveling a brewmaster and im usually at 60% or more on recount. I should add that I do have full heirlooms with chants.