Page 1 of 2
LastLast

UK Driving Licence, maximum weight confusions.

So after passing my test the other week my licence arrived today *Queue Applaud*. My father has a van that weighs 3.5kg, after taking a search online whether I would be able to drive this comes up with foggy answers. The most general one is;

Category B, any vehicle up to 3500kg.

(Which is the one I have). Does the up to mean, anything 3.5kg and below, or anything under 3499kg.

Many thanks .
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

i dont know about UK, but here it is more about actual type than the weight. the weight thing is just a part of the definition, and they usually mean something specific. if i had to guess, they are trying to distinguish between regular vehicles and lorries. but hopefully you continue to seek an answer from someone more qualified than me, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Deleted
    I would assume soo.. havent looked at my licence for years..you have to do another licence test for bigger heavier.
    I remember checking ages ago about a trailer but didnt bother looking

also congratz, btw how much is it nowa days I paid 19 for the theory think it was and 39 for the licence I think it was like 8years ago
    Last edited by mmoc8e13fe598c; 2013-02-16 at 01:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's anything like in German 3500kg are included. But not a kilo more.

Either way, is something like the weight of a car checked on a regular basis? Even if that van weights slightly more I can't see it as a major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    If it's anything like in German 3500kg are included. But not a kilo more.

Either way, is something like the weight of a car checked on a regular basis? Even if that van weights slightly more I can't see it as a major problem.
    It was bought as a 3.5kg vehicle and says so in the handbook. The restrictions mean without any cargo or people in it.

Still seeking a clear answer
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

The real question is... Does it really matter? Do you have a vehicle that weighs exactly that amount? Otherwise the answer will likely be clear cut. If the vehicle weighs <=3499 you're fine, >=3501 you're not.

Edit: Oh, the van. That'd most likely be aggregate weight, which is what your licence is on. Tare is the weight of the vehicle, aggregate = tare weight + maximum weight of people and cargo... If the tare is 3500, you definitely won't be able to drive it. If the aggregate is 3500, you'll need to clarify with whatever your licensing authority is.
    Last edited by Ryve; 2013-02-16 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    also congratz, btw how much is it nowa days I paid 19 for the theory think it was and 39 for the licence I think it was like 8years ago
    £31 theory and £62 practical, but practical is £75 if at evening, weekend, or bank holiday.

Do they take the driver's weight into account?

As far as i know you should be fine with the likes of a transit van or similar....it's only when you start driving stuff like buses and lorries that you need to have a different license

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't the actual physical weight of the van - it is more of the type.

A 3.5t is a van the size of a Transit with a big box added to the back. Typically used to deliver a few pallet loads of lighter weight goods.

The law changed about 15 years ago, and I have no idea whether you can drive one immediately upon passing your test. Contrary to what you believe or feel at the moment, you are not immortal, and you do not know everything about driving... you are certainly not God's gift to motoring either. Have someone else drive it.

The UK Government website is pretty good for clearing up pretty much any issue like this...
    http://www.gov.uk/browse/driving

"Up to", by it very definition, sets an upper limit. And by it's own definition, a limiting factor is included within its own limits. If they meant the maximum is 3499kg, they would say so, or "under 3500kg". I'm not even a native english speaker and can't understand why this is an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    "Up to", by it very definition, sets an upper limit. And by it's own definition, a limiting factor is included within its own limits. If they meant the maximum is 3499kg, they would say so, or "under 3500kg". I'm not even a native english speaker and can't understand why this is an issue.
    Because it is an issue. English doesn't always work that way. But if you want to give a condescending answer to a decent question, you may want to be 100% correct. But I guess we'll chalk that up to you not being a native English speaker.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would mean up to and including 3500kg.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Take your van to the gym with you and eventually it'll trim down enough to be in the restrictions.

No seriously, who cares. Just drive it, as long as you're not driving a bus or a truck it doesn't matter.

Although you should take a picture or link a picture to the model of your van so we can all see it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    It was bought as a 3.5kg vehicle and says so in the handbook. The restrictions mean without any cargo or people in it.

Give the DVLA a ring, they will tell you 100%

Or if you dont want them to know your enquiring get your dad to ring, as i assume his licence can drive it

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post

Who told you the restrictions meant without cargo or people? That would be flat out idiotic. It's not how vehicles work. You can either drive the vehicle fully loaded to its maximum legal capacity - the aggregate, or you can't drive it at all.

So, again, is 3500kgs the tare or aggregate of the vehicle? On some vans this information will be printed on the side of the vehicle. Otherwise it'll be stamped in the well of one of the front doors (visible when you open the door).

Deleted
    You can drive anything up to 7.5 Tonnes

Deleted
    Phone the DVLA only way to be sure.

Deleted
    Checked the gov.uk site and found these:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

tl;dr You can drive a vehicle that weighs fully safely loaded 4 wheeled vehicle up 3.5t (3500KG)

10+ Year Old Account
    If the vehicle registration documents state it's a 3500 kg Maximum Authorised Mass vehicle, you can drive it with a B licence. If it's over you'd need at least a C1 licence.