Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,930

    Why is Youtube being super slow?

    Just to make sure, I've checked my internet at least three times. Everything else runs fine and smooth with the exception of about 50% of Youtube videos. I didn't have any problems until just a few days ago, and now it's deciding to be slow as hell. Tried multiple browsers; Mozilla being my default; tried IE6 and Chrome, all resulting in the same outcome.

    Is anyone else having the same problem where Youtube's being slow? (And I mean REALLY slow. Videos that would work fine from loading the URL in 720p now have to buffer in 240p...) Are they having a week-long maintenance or something?

    PS: Yes, it's JUST Youtube. Having no other issues with other sites videos or anything else that uses Internet.

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer N-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,574
    I can browse it fine here in UK.

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Silvermoon City
    Posts
    3,659
    Maybe your provider is throttling Youtube traffic. Some are known to do that.

  4. #4
    High Overlord Tazienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hibernation Cave
    Posts
    139
    I've been having the same problem off and on for over a week now, likely closer to two. No issues running anything else. WoW, Pandora, regular browsing of websites and webcomics, etc. Nothing else has given me any issue except YouTube. I'll try to load up just a simple music video to play for my son to dance along with and it will load partway then just bog down and die. Never had any issue before and its only YouTube. Doesn't even matter whether I'm connected through ethernet or wifi. I think I even tried a couple of times at my college and had the same issue.

    So, yeah, I'm glad to see that someone other than me has had the issue, even without any clue what is causing it.
    TAZI-BEAR ... da Beast


  5. #5
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Maybe your provider is throttling Youtube traffic. Some are known to do that.
    But why all of a sudden? We changed providers in December from Comcast (no issues with Youtube specifically, but don't get me started on THEIR service...) to AT&T U-Verse (PS: Loving the switch). It's now February.

    In addition, some videos (not affected by duration) will load up almost instantly still, even in 720p, some of them up to 20-30m, and then I'll watch a 30s video in 240p that takes a good 3 minutes just to buffer.

    If it was ALL videos, it'd be understandable, but... what the fuck?

  6. #6
    Smile! Migari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    u ma xoxo L O V E
    Posts
    5,533
    I've been having some troubles with it too. Currently it works fine, but a week or two ago I couldn't watch certain videos. It would buffer to a certain point and I would start watching the video, but then it'd randomly reset and I'd have to load it all over again.
    http://last.fm/user/migari_migi
    <Anakso> I'd fuck yonghwa because he's so dreamy but that doesn't make me gay

  7. #7
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongin View Post
    I've been having some troubles with it too. Currently it works fine, but a week or two ago I couldn't watch certain videos. It would buffer to a certain point and I would start watching the video, but then it'd randomly reset and I'd have to load it all over again.
    It's more of a "recent/present" thing than a week or two ago. It started about 4ish days ago and since then, stuff just loads slow or CONSTANTLY has to buffer. I don't have to reset it or anything (as that doesn't do anything anyways), but plenty of videos work fine so... idk.

    Maybe they are having issues? *Shrug* I've been trying to look into it but constantly coming up empty handed.

  8. #8
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongin View Post
    I've been having some troubles with it too. Currently it works fine, but a week or two ago I couldn't watch certain videos. It would buffer to a certain point and I would start watching the video, but then it'd randomly reset and I'd have to load it all over again.
    Same problem. Now it seems to be fixed, but it's a problem that seems to come and go once in a while, sits for a few weeks and is gone again.

    Someone once said how they can't understand how some crappy porn sites have better players then youtube, a site watched by hundreads of millions. I have to wonder the same thing.

  9. #9
    Scarab Lord MasterOfKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    4,823
    I have been having the same problem for about two-weeks, and other people I know have also seen it break down a couple of times. Its so damn unstable, and the buffering takes forever compared to what it used to be.

  10. #10
    Bloodsail Admiral dannypoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK/Wales
    Posts
    1,076
    Mine was acting slow few weeks back but seems fine now.. maybe they doing some shit

  11. #11
    I'm having the same problem, my youtube is being really wonky.

    I can watch/stream on any other site with no problems, but, for some reason youtube keeps autopausing/buffering and dropping to lower qualities.

    Really starting to piss me off since I use youtube quite a bit, and right now it's virtually unusable for me.

  12. #12
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    I'm having the same problem, my youtube is being really wonky.

    I can watch/stream on any other site with no problems, but, for some reason youtube keeps autopausing/buffering and dropping to lower qualities.

    Really starting to piss me off since I use youtube quite a bit, and right now it's virtually unusable for me.
    Yeah, I use it pretty much all the time on auto-play for music/videos.

    Thankfully, Netflix works just fine, so I can use it for the time being

  13. #13
    Epic! Sayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scrubbity Burrow
    Posts
    1,638
    There seem to be a lot of complaints about this recently.

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rying-out-loud!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...st-but-youtube

    It's intermittently wonky for me as well.

  14. #14
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    There seem to be a lot of complaints about this recently.

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rying-out-loud!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...st-but-youtube

    It's intermittently wonky for me as well.
    Super glad I'm not the only one. I also like how I did a search for "Youtube" to avoid making a new thread on an existing one (SORRY MODS! PLEASE DON'T INFRACT ME! BLAME YOUR SEARCH ENGINE :<) and came up with nothing on the issue.



    [Also, does Google actually expect money for Youtube now? .-. (according to the OP in that first thread you linked) I feel like that would cause a few lawsuits on the peanuts that uploaders are paid for ads. I mean, fuck, they throw commercials in our faces constantly on USER CREATED CONTENT, and now they want us to pay for that?]
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2013-02-16 at 07:51 PM.

  15. #15
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Super glad I'm not the only one. I also like how I did a search for "Youtube" to avoid making a new thread on an existing one (SORRY MODS! PLEASE DON'T INFRACT ME! BLAME YOUR SEARCH ENGINE :<) and came up with nothing on the issue.



    [Also, does Google actually expect money for Youtube now? .-. (according to the OP in that first thread you linked) I feel like that would cause a few lawsuits on the peanuts that uploaders are paid for ads. I mean, fuck, they throw commercials in our faces constantly on USER CREATED CONTENT, and now they want us to pay for that?]
    I understood they are planning to open up some pay channels, as in, you pay to see some channels. I think this is more of a test to see if people dig it, and if they do, they might impose it further. So, if people are smart, they won't go to those channels. But we both know very few people are smart.

  16. #16
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I understood they are planning to open up some pay channels, as in, you pay to see some channels. I think this is more of a test to see if people dig it, and if they do, they might impose it further. So, if people are smart, they won't go to those channels. But we both know very few people are smart.
    I think people generally band together when it comes to cost of stuff.

    Remember when cross-realm inviting was supposed to be a "premium" service?

  17. #17
    The Lightbringer Blitzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,042
    YouTube's working fine for me, the only problem I have is that I need to refresh multiple times to comment or look at the 'more' second for the video maker's description.
    “It is either easy or impossible.” - Salvador Dali

    WoW characters:
    Greed [Priest] -
    Blitzo[Warrior] -Rex[Hunter] -Jax [Paladin] -
    Gluttony [Mage]

  18. #18
    High Overlord Silhouette55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Czech Rap-ublic, yo.
    Posts
    156
    I had hoped I was not the only one having this problem.

  19. #19
    Scarab Lord Arkenaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,393
    I've been having issues on my Wii-U, can't watch youtube videos, but can stream netflix just fine in 1080p

  20. #20
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I've been having issues on my Wii-U, can't watch youtube videos, but can stream netflix just fine in 1080p
    While I'd think there'd be a few factors more at play, what with Wii U and all, but I think we've pretty much confirmed here that it's a Youtube issue and not a user issue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •