View Poll Results: Which Installment of WoW Provided the Best Story?

Voters
662. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic

23 3.47%
  • Burning Crusade

94 14.20%
  • Wrath of the Lich King

403 60.88%
  • Cataclysm

6 0.91%
  • Mists of Pandaria

136 20.54%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by HeistXL View Post
    Read the book?
    At the end of wc3, when he sits upon the throne he kills Ner'Zhul and the only thing that makes him humane (in the form of a sick child)
    That's the problem though. Ner'zhul was no minor character. The entirety of the LK's plot in both RoC and TFT was him outsmarting the Legion and gaining his freedom to take revenge on Kil'Jaeden. In fact, by the end of TFT he was pretty much built up as KJ's nemesis. He pitted his champion, Arthas against KJ's champion, Illidan and won. Why would such a massive part of the LK saga not be represented in game? Let alone be a very small part of the book...

And there is another flaw with WotLK's storytelling. The LK comes across as incredibly devoid of personality or purpose in every encounter with him. He has neither the cruel, cunning of Ner'zhul nor the snarky, arrogance of Arthas. Which begs the questions, why change the story of WC3 at all if you're just going to make something more dull and boring?

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    So you had problems with resurrections.

How about Naxx2, which resurrected all the bosses without even bothering with a plausible explanation?

How about all the rehashed dungeons that resurrect all the bosses inside without any explanation? Like Scholomance? What does it do to the story? Does it even connect at all? The bosses we killed several expansions ago are suddenly well and alive?
    I was never in a guild that saw Naxx in classic, and as far as bringing it back goes it only worked because only 1% of the playerbase ever saw it.

As for other rehashes, yes I have the same problem with them all. Scholo, SM, the Troll heroics, all of them.

It just breaks the immersion to have the same old bosses alive and well again seemingly unharmed years later with no explanation. Kill a guy and have the Scourge turn them to undead? I can buy that and it makes for an interesting twist as it did with Arthas, Sylvanas and Bolvar if it is not overused. But mass ressurections to fill a boss roster because you are too lazy to create a new guy is just lazy.
    Last edited by Briga; 2013-02-20 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    I was never in a guild that saw Naxx in classic, and as far as bringing it back goes it only worked because only 1% of the playerbase ever saw it.

As for other rehashes, yes I have the same problem with them all. Scholo, SM, the Troll heroics, all of them.

It just breaks the immersion to have the same old bosses alive and well again seemingly unharmed years later with no explanation. Kill a guy and have the Scourge turn them to undead? I can buy that and it makes for an interesting twist as it did with Arthas, Sylvanas and Bolvar. But mass ressurections to fill a boss roster because you are too lazy to create a new guy is just lazy.
    But the ones you listed: Scholo, SM, Troll heroics, all pretty much have new bosses. The only thing they did mass resurrection was Naxx, and you gave the reasoning for that already.
    End SJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    I fucking hate this LGBT and gender equality shit invading video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    But the ones you listed: Scholo, SM, Troll heroics, all pretty much have new bosses. The only thing they did mass resurrection was Naxx, and you gave the reasoning for that already.
    ZA only has one new boss, the others are all old.
    ZG, has the return of Mandokir and Zin'do.

Cata, had Nefarian, Onyxia, Ragnaros and Geddon all return from the dead.

Scholo still has Gandling and Barov.
    SM, Still has Whitmane.

I'd say all of those named could have been replaced with new bosses and should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Rattlegore and Gandling in Scholo.

I did not list Troll heroics.

My point is all expansions have resurrected characters, not just TBC and cata. Naxx in Wrath being the most major example.

I dislike all resurrections/rehashes equally. It destroys immersion and lore, especially more so when it doesn't have a story for the resurrection itself as a rationale.
    Last edited by killidan; 2013-02-20 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    ZA only has one new boss, the others are all old.
    ZG, has the return of Mandokir and Zin'do.

Cata, had Nefarian, Onyxia, Ragnaros and Geddon all return from the dead.

Scholo still has Gandling and Barov.
    SM, Still has Whitmane.

I'd say all of those named could have been replaced with new bosses and should have.
    I'll give you ZA, they just updating most of the bosses in that instance with little lore reasoning.
    However, in ZG both returning bosses came back in new bodies and their fights were completely different then before.

Nefarian and Onyxia came back because Deathwing resurrected his son, who turn Onyxia into an undead. Both (were in same fight) had completely different fights.
    ragnaros and Geddon are elementals, they don't stay dead.

In Scholomance, Grandling I believe was explained in the questline in Battle for Andorhal and Barov is a spirit. Both have new fights.
    For SM, I do not know the reasoning for Whitemane's returning, but I believe the fight is different.

So it seems, only ZA was rehashed, because the definition of rehasing is basically copy pasting.

---------- Post added 2013-02-20 at 05:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    I did not list Troll heroics.
    I did not quote you. Learn to know who is speaking to you.
    End SJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    I fucking hate this LGBT and gender equality shit invading video games.